New guy.

Adam Fry

I want to say I got into this by watch juji on YouTube and Devon Larratt further got me interested in grip.

I use to workout a lot but have moved away due to being so busy. My job requires some strength from time to time but nothing real stressful. 

I have no idea where my hand strength is at. I saw a coc T was 100lbs which sounds like a lot but I am able to easily close it, grinding the handles together. So I have a #1 on the way. Assuming the #1 is hard for me to close, is it better for me to train with the 1.5 or do negatives with a #2? My overall goal is to cert a #3.

• Like 3

Train reps with grippers you can close. Don't do negatives, you will get injured with almost 100% certainty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Train reps with grippers you can close. Don't do negatives, you will get injured with almost 100% certainty.

Ok thanks. I know everyone is different, but roughly how many closes should I be doing before attempting to move up?

10 reps but since you're a beginner I think you should stick to high reps for atleast a month. Build a solid foundation to work from and don't try your 1RM too often.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

10 reps but since you're a beginner I think you should stick to high reps for atleast a month. Build a solid foundation to work from and don't try your 1RM too often.

Ok thanks. I closed the T 20 times so I feel as though I need more resistance. Hopefully the 1 will be my answer.

40 minutes ago, benjaminBoy said:

Also learn how to set the gripper properly if you haven't. Jedd has a great videos on youtube for setting.

Thanks, thats great information. I've also considered setting the gripper lower on my palm in theory to help my "finishing" power. Is that a viable technique or am I dumb?

Welcome. Might as well buy a 1.5 and 2 right away. You will close the 1 and be looking for one you can't close.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adam Fry said:

Thanks, thats great information. I've also considered setting the gripper lower on my palm in theory to help my "finishing" power. Is that a viable technique or am I dumb?

Not dumb, IMO there is many ways to set a gripper to change how it feels and how hard it is to close. But when I think of "finishing" power I would do deep sets or even a choker gripper made by Aaron. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, king crusher said:

Welcome. Might as well buy a 1.5 and 2 right away. You will close the 1 and be looking for one you can't close.

I went a head and purchased a 1.5, 2, and 2.5 hopefully ill be ready for a 3 in a few months. I'm not sure how quick or slow progression is with grip training. I imagine some do better than others. Hopefully I'm on the better end of that.

Do larger hands make for an easier close?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Adam Fry said:

I went a head and purchased a 1.5, 2, and 2.5 hopefully ill be ready for a 3 in a few months. I'm not sure how quick or slow progression is with grip training. I imagine some do better than others. Hopefully I'm on the better end of that.

Do larger hands make for an easier close?

Yeah to a point but insanely large hands can kind of get in the way. But yeah 8+ inch Hands are usually going to progress a bit quicker and/or have a bit of a head start over smaller hands. 

Let us know which gripper stops you. Work the one below it like crazy and throw in some work with the goal gripper.

6 hours ago, king crusher said:

Yeah to a point but insanely large hands can kind of get in the way. But yeah 8+ inch Hands are usually going to progress a bit quicker and/or have a bit of a head start over smaller hands. 

Let us know which gripper stops you. Work the one below it like crazy and throw in some work with the goal gripper.

Ok thats kind of how I imagined the mechanics working. Bigger hands help initially, but can make it harder to close the last little bit? My hands are 8 inches. Hopefully a sweet spot.

Will do.

26 minutes ago, Adam Fry said:

Ok thats kind of how I imagined the mechanics working. Bigger hands help initially, but can make it harder to close the last little bit? My hands are 8 inches. Hopefully a sweet spot.

Will do.

Don't worry about hand size. It's almost completely irrelevant when it comes to closing grippers. Doesn't matter if you have a large or small hand you can find the right technique that suits your hand.

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Don't worry about hand size. It's almost completely irrelevant when it comes to closing grippers. Doesn't matter if you have a large or small hand you can find the right technique that suits your hand.

That's simply not true. Someone with 8" hands will have a "head start" and usually go further, all other things equal, then a guy with 7" hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, king crusher said:

That's simply not true. Someone with 8" hands will have a "head start" and usually go further, all other things equal, then a guy with 7" hands.

I got my number 1 in today and closed it 20 times consecutively and stopped. Could have done 25 probably. So whoever said id crush the 1 was right.. I'm hoping my other three will be here by this time next week.

Edited by Adam Fry

14 minutes ago, Adam Fry said:

I got my number 1 in today and closed it 20 times consecutively and stopped. Could have done 25 probably. So whoever said id crush the 1 was right.. I'm hoping my other three will be here by this time next week.

Nice man, 20 reps is really good you’ll be closing your 2.5 in no time for sure.

2 hours ago, king crusher said:

Nah, just set the gripper deep, hand size is not so important with grippers.

36 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice man, 20 reps is really good you’ll be closing your 2.5 in no time for sure.

I'm hoping to crush the 2 on my first try but I also know endurance and strength are very different.

Edited by Adam Fry

I know I read somewhere about pinching a penny for weight. I did a quick search here and on Google and couldn't find anything on it. I got a penny and drilled a hole in it and tied two ten pound weights together and just barely (by a hair) got it off the ground. I can rep 15 pounds. Is this bad, average, or good?

7 hours ago, Adam Fry said:

That was me. You should be at about a 2 now. I remember I was doing about 20ish reps on the 1 and a single on the 2 when i first bought them. Then i ordered a 3 and certainly didn't close that first try. There was no such thing as point 5 grippers then.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adam Fry said:

Well, it seems practicing this close for a few times gets the ole muscles or tendon really flared up. Still happy with the close.

Yeah I used to do those with the #2 and it's a good way to pull a tendon. I never did but I felt a odd feeling once so I never messed with it again. 

• Like 1

Ok. Got my grippers in and unfortunately I failed to close the 2. Bummer. I did take a video which ill post. I did close the 1.5 pretty easily, I didn't show the close because I felt confident I was going to close the 2, however you can here me grind the handles together, I actually threw it down in disgust because I felt it was easy.. 

Excuse me while I eat my humble pie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adam Fry said:

Ok. Got my grippers in and unfortunately I failed to close the 2. Bummer. I did take a video which ill post. I did close the 1.5 pretty easily, I didn't show the close because I felt confident I was going to close the 2, however you can here me grind the handles together, I actually threw it down in disgust because I felt it was easy.. 

Excuse me while I eat my humble pie.

You will close the 2 very soon just have to get used to it. When I got my grippers I got the 1, 1.5 and 2 and could close the 1 around 10 times I think the 1.5 around 5 and couldn’t close the 2 but after two or Three weeks I was closing my 2. How many reps can you do with the 1.5? And did you get any other grippers past the 2?

21 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

You will close the 2 very soon just have to get used to it. When I got my grippers I got the 1, 1.5 and 2 and could close the 1 around 10 times I think the 1.5 around 5 and couldn’t close the 2 but after two or Three weeks I was closing my 2. How many reps can you do with the 1.5? And did you get any other grippers past the 2?

I actually closed it off camera but wasn't recording. I rested 5 minutes and tried again recording and failed.. I'll try again tomorrow.

• Like 1