Top guys and Chest/Tricep training

StrongWeiss5

Hello to everyone, i have a question it has been bogging me for a while now.

I have noticed why top guys like Cyplenkov & Saginashvili, do a lot of heavy bench presses and heavy tricep work.

Why would a person like Cyplenkov is a hook puller and Saginashvili that is a top roll puller, would train this stuff? Does it increase side pressure or something?

I cannot understand this, someone could explain this please?

• 2 weeks later...

I heard Travis Bagent say before that you should do at least one chest exercise so that you don't hurt your "titty" (his words haha). I'd agree that it's a good idea to have some strength in all your upper body muscles because you don't want to be too unbalanced, for injury prevention, if nothing else. 

That being said, I get sore pecs when I pull (I'm about 80% hook, 20% top roll). I really focus on using my pec to keep my arm inside my body (like you're doing a pec fly or butterfly machine). My triceps don't really get sore, but they probably help with down pressure I would assume. I think a lot of Europeans believe that increasing overall power will improve their table strength, and I believe that is true as well.

Even though guys like Brzenk and Larratt says it is a forearm & hand sport.

But later on they got destroyed by guys like Denis Cyplenkov which have and absolute power in all areas.

Maybe if the forearm and hand control is more or less matched, the overall power and strength will grant the winner the difference.

Only if you are in a match and you have such god like hand control that you would deprive your opponent strengths to a point that even if they are way stronger than you, you would still win, that would be the only applicable case in my point of view.

When Denis matched John hand control in 2010 on nemiroff, john had no chance because now Denis had more or less the same hand control and that monstrous power behind it.

Later you also see Larratt getting destroyed by Denis the same way, not sufficient hand control to nullify most of Denis strengths, proceeds to get crushed by Denis monstrous strength.

If someone thinks it isn't more or less like these examples, please i would like to listen your opinions aswell.

When i said forearm/hands i was including wrists on it as the forearm part.

Clearly when denis in 08 and 09 had weaker hand control, as soon he got at the same level in 2010, he completely went trough John in the hook like it was nothing.

If Denis was stronger in everything he wouldn't have lost in 08 and 09, it was clearly he was lacking in the hand control aspect, which includes hand,wrist/forearm.

Depends on your pulling style, but even John said that triceps strength helps in the hook. Some very succussful and experienced armwrestlers also train a  lot of peck deck (f. e. Christian Binnie, Pascal Girard). I would say that the "weak link" is usually in the hand/forearm/brachioradialis(?) though. A well balanced training plan for armwrestling should also include chest and triceps i. m. o. 

• Like 1