Chad Gustin Breaks Rolling Thunder Pullup World Record

bencrush

https://ironmind.com/news/Chad-Gustin-Breaks-Rolling-Thunder-Pull-up-World-Record/

@Chad Gustin Congrats to Chad on raising the bar on the IronMind double Rolling Thunder total weight pullup at our King Kong venue on Saturday!  He had a very solid day of lifting.  And he did over the old record on two attempts.  Nice write-up on IronMind about an hour ago.  

• Like 7

That’s a no lift in my opinion- chin not even close to over the bar - some of these Ironmind records are looking like trash. Hey big strong guy and good training rep but if that is the standard than Tanner Myself - You Steve— any of use could smash it with a dicy half pull 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

That’s a no lift in my opinion- chin not even close to over the bar 

The bar is irrelevant, he just needs to be over the handles. Per Ironmind's rule page:

"The athlete's chin must go higher than the top edge of the Rolling Thunder® handle "

tZCqpTM.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

That’s a no lift in my opinion- chin not even close to over the bar - some of these Ironmind records are looking like trash. Hey big strong guy and good training rep but if that is the standard than Tanner Myself - You Steve— any of use could smash it with a dicy half pull 

I've done an 80lb pull up on rolling thunder with this form and it's not too bad, I'm like a dozen or so levels below you guys so I think this record could be broken by some people soon, have to be the right body weight tho to make it work. 

2 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

The bar is irrelevant, he just needs to be over the handles. Per Ironmind's rule page:

"The athlete's chin must go higher than the top edge of the Rolling Thunder® handle "

tZCqpTM.png

That is correct. Four years ago at a King Kong contest in the SF Bay Area, I was the witness for Evan Raftopoulos’ 27 Rolling Thunder pull-ups’ World Record. But if you look at Riccardo Magni’s YouTube video, it says “26”. That was because I did not count the last one, as I did not think it was high enough. R Strossen emails me the following Monday, tells me he counted 27. I said “yes but the last one was not a full pull-up. He asked me if I read the rules, the answer was: “uh, no I did not”. He told me to read them, I did, and the still World Record is 27 reps. Every one of them was super deep and way more range than necessary.

• Like 1

I want to be crystal clear here— no problem with the athletes rising to the challenge— I just personally disagree with standard- had I understood the rules as I do now I wouldn’t made a comment— for everyone here maybe a good target because this could be + 46 kg in a moth with some of you pull up monsters 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

I want to be crystal clear here— no problem with the athletes rising to the challenge— I just personally disagree with standard- had I understood the rules as I do now I wouldn’t made a comment— for everyone here maybe a good target because this could be + 46 kg in a moth with some of you pull up monsters 

I’m too lazy to look up Evan’s pull-ups right now, but easy enough to find on Youtube. He did 26 amazing reps. Then he got that last one that I didn’t think was a pull-up, and he obviously didn’t think he did either, because he stopped right after #27. Heck, he probably had a few more in him at that height if he knew they were still legal.

7 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

This is not meant as a disrespectful statement to the athlete, but this Ironmind record is easier to beat than others for sure. If the really strong guys will try it out, the record will be above 180k I think. Would be cool if more people chase the record here. 

• Like 2

I agree that it's easier and far less contested, but I hope the difficulty isn't understated. To make it more comparable by comparing to freedom units, this is a 260 lb person doing a pull-up with 108 lbs added. Or in other words:

A 184 lb Rolling Thunder lift in each hand

AND

A 150 lb person w/ 218 lbs added

A 184 lb person w/ 184 lbs added (double BW)

A 200 lb person w/ 168 lbs added

A 240 lb person w/ 128 lbs added

A Brian Shaw w/ -40 lbs

I just don't think there are many that train to be able to accomplish both these types of feats. (Note: that this is essentially a pull-up on gymnast rings since the handles could in theory freely spin and move (not exactly true in Chad's setup), which is noticeably harder than on a static bar. Anecdotally my max is about 25 lbs higher on a regular pull-up bar.)

---

I'm pretty sure Tanner has done a RT 1 arm chin while over 184 lbs, so certainly in the bag there. Lucas Raymond's  weighted pull-up numbers, and Adam Glass's advanced pull-up variants certainly make this look within grasp for them as well. Big Jesse Pynnönen would meet the numbers without adding much weight. So yes, possible for some, but requires just the right combination of strengths and body size. I don't see any big dudes training pull-ups in general, never mind weighted pull ups. Just my observation.

That's hilarious and I'd pay good money to watch Brian break this record with negative 39lbs

• Like 1

This one is from last year, since then I've done 180kg with 2.25 Crusher and 2.5 Crusher as well. 

My best is 440lbs chin up in a competition and 460lbs in training with a normal bar. Hopefully I have a chance of attempting this record soon. 

Awesome to see people bringing this world record up! 

• Like 4

Congrats to Chad, That was very impressive!

• Like 1

I feel the larger person ~250-300lb person will be the best individual to break this record as noted by Jesse above. At 210 me doing a pullup with 158lbs add it a lot of pulling strength, much less of an issue of the rolling handle being an issue. 

35 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I feel the larger person ~250-300lb person will be the best individual to break this record as noted by Jesse above. At 210 me doing a pullup with 158lbs add it a lot of pulling strength, much less of an issue of the rolling handle being an issue. 

I agree. I think Brian Shaw could do one pull-up. I've seen he can do a few reps and he has the thick bar strength for it.

• Like 2