Best Grip Strengthening Forearm Building Equipment

griplike

I want to ask you guys, if i have to choose between getting only one of these machines. Which one should i get and why? I want to build massive forearms and increase my grip strength.

Also why is there a huge price difference between the titan gripper and sorinex gripper? Thank You 

wrist-curl-machine-500x500.jpgHammerStrength-Gripper-L.jpg

Pop_s_Gripper_740x.jpg?v=1557150686

Depends on what kind of grip strength you're looking to improve.  Let's just default and assume overall grip strength. 

Which machine?  Doesn't really matter.  Massive forearms?  Tons of volume (and good genetics).  Strong grip strength?  Time under tension.  Good restsults with both?  Be consistent with both, and wait.  

Also, add variety to your training. This is very important....and let's not forget that recovery is huge!!!  If you don't pay attention to recovery now, you will be forced to later, and it is a very long and frustrating path because it takes so much longer for joints, tendons, and ligaments to heal.  Nothing haults progress faster than an injury.  Regular blood flow is king.

Also, please for the love of everything good,  train your extensors. Lol Ignoring balance/imbalances is a fast track to injuries.

I'm sure others with chime in with more specifics, but that's the nuts and bolts.  

...and to be clear, big forearms doesn't always equal a strong grip. (Not assuming you think that).  Look at Slim, Cody Burns, Adam Glass, and Andrew Durniate as good examples of that.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Jethro1
  • Like 4

None of those machines are necessary for a world class grip. Get any rolling handle, a thin and a wide pinch, and a sledgehammer. That's all most people need. 

• Like 4

You can build an awful lot of grip strength (and possibly size) with just a barbell.  Wrist curls - reverse wrist curls - wrist curls behind the back and reverse curls done as a giant set to failure on each with no rest between exercises.  Aim for 8 reps - when you hit 12 - add weight - keep adding weight every time you ca do 12 reps.  Then a few days later do finger curls in a rack (crl grip) - start with higher reps - keep adding weight and lowering reps - "roll" the bar up you legs and do negatives.  (Break into all this slowly)  Then take a sledge hammer and lever it in all directions - front, back, rotate in, rotate out.  Higher reps here.  So two different workouts with two days off in between each one.  This will give you the "base" strength and sort of "injury proof" you for the more specialized work to do later on.   Do this for at least a couple months before moving on to the fancy stuff.  You'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

You can build an awful lot of grip strength (and possibly size) with just a barbell.  Wrist curls - reverse wrist curls - wrist curls behind the back and reverse curls done as a giant set to failure on each with no rest between exercises.  Aim for 8 reps - when you hit 12 - add weight - keep adding weight every time you ca do 12 reps.  Then a few days later do finger curls in a rack (crl grip) - start with higher reps - keep adding weight and lowering reps - "roll" the bar up you legs and do negatives.  (Break into all this slowly)  Then take a sledge hammer and lever it in all directions - front, back, rotate in, rotate out.  Higher reps here.  So two different workouts with two days off in between each one.  This will give you the "base" strength and sort of "injury proof" you for the more specialized work to do later on.   Do this for at least a couple months before moving on to the fancy stuff.  You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hello!

I didn't get how to do the finger curls in a rack. Do you do them hanging? or how?

Please read over this - I explain "Finger Curls" in this somewhere as well as sharing some other things I believe.

Just now, climber511 said:

Please read over this - I explain "Finger Curls" in this somewhere as well as sharing some other things I believe.

I will! thank you!!

• 1 year later...
On 10/29/2020 at 8:09 AM, pancho_grip_lift said:

Hello!

I didn't get how to do the finger curls in a rack. Do you do them hanging? or how?

They just feel awkward and uneven but it's pretty simple. Hanging. Think of pull ups and letting your grip slowly go and the bar slowly peeling out of your grip then doing a slow curl of the fingers back into a clenched fist around the bar. It's like that with a barbell except the barbell spins a bit. Wist curls with rolling thunder type thing is true to the purpose of finger curls, but you can just use a barbell with the weights not clamped all the way to the bar so it spins a bit easier. 45 lbs is difficult still of course and you have to try and stop the rotation which involves a bit of catching it with the tips of your fingers and that's not easy.

Using a free spinning handle for finger curls and a hang board that rock climbers use for your finger tips and you will be training with specificity.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:00 PM, griplike said:

I want to ask you guys, if i have to choose between getting only one of these machines. Which one should i get and why? I want to build massive forearms and increase my grip strength.

Also why is there a huge price difference between the titan gripper and sorinex gripper? Thank You

@Jethro1@Climber028 These two gave good advice. A sledgehammer with high volume, intensity, and time under tension (think total reps and slow 5/5 or 10/10 reps with equal slowness on the eccentric and concentric portion of the exercise -- meaning slow both ways of the movement) is overall the best you will get. Adding and reducing grip thickness are the only variations you need. Ideally though instead of a sledgehammer you would get a loadable dumbbell since you can use that instead of the sledgehammer and dumbbells for other things too.

You can use a loadable dumbbell to practice hub lifts by putting 2 x 2.5 lb plates fastened together on one end of the DB at the very end of the bar and standing the whole thing with weights on top, using the two 2.5 lb plates as a hub grip. Depends on the loadable DB but generally the dimensions are pretty good, my 2.5 lb plates are 4 3/4" in diameter and this is a great width for my 7" long hands and long thumb. Training the thumb, ring and pinky is important. You can also do wrist curls and extensions with a DB of course.

As was already said you need to train your extensors. You simply need to train "whole forearm" or you're gimping your progress. 1 hard set each movement is great and something one can consistently do everyday. I'm a proponent for daily workouts with a hard set each movement, and this doesn't prevent you from doing 5+ hard sets on a movement you want to focus on. Extensors need multiple sets to failure because they're so far behind though. Wrist bending while gripping something is huge and should be your focus for the most gains though. It will feel like you're training everything at once and this is the fact of the matter. It will strain your weak links into exploding in mass, strength and endurance, and becoming proportional with everything else while developing the forearm overall.

Thick bar is very important but so is "thin bar" which you can get by training with a thin rope or chain tied to weights. Think "full range of motion". A 5" bar or globe is the high end, with slight variation depending on your hand, and a thin string is the low end. You can do all the wrist bending movements with a chain or rope quite easily, add something slippery to the string so that a low amount of weight is quite difficult. Placement in hand becomes important when training with thinner equipment and that's perfectly fine. Just more things to train. This includes pinching the string between thumb and 1 of the digits, pinching scissor style between two fingers, and pinching between the finger tip and third phalange of individual or multiple fingers. Lots of places to put that string and all of them develop part of a crushing grip.

Make sure to stretch and you're golden.

• Thanks 1