HARD TO HANDLE Tournament - What is the HARDEST Thick Bar Rolling Handle on the Market?

Jedd Johnson

14 hours ago, Arne said:

The record for LGC on competition with the strikt LGC-rules is 95 kg by Håkan Carlsson. Håkan has lift 97 kg on training. Kalle Laine has lift, if I remember correctly,  just under 90 kg on competition. 

Okidoki.

11 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Depends as I have never seen Laine lift a rolling handle with LGC rules (handle horizontal). It's always with some tilt.

That's why I did a low estimation. With more unstrict rules he'd probably do around 120 kg or more. He's doing around 130 kg with the crusher. 

There's some horizontal rolling thunder lifts on his channel. 150 kg with first generation handle.

23 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

That's why I did a low estimation. With more unstrict rules he'd probably do around 120 kg or more. He's doing around 130 kg with the crusher. 

There's some horizontal rolling thunder lifts on his channel. 150 kg with first generation handle.

So what you are saying (given we saw Jedd pull about 90k) is that Jedd's thickbar strength is less than 3/4 of that of Laine with a rolling handle. Based on solid dumbbell lifts I disagree (I know they are not exactly the same). Jedd is lifting the 78k Inch a lot easier than Laine is lifting that Millenium bell (45 degree tilt at take off as seen in the video by Alawadhi). I know the larger bell is more prone to roll out of your hand but believe Laine would not pull 120k+ using a comparable style. Might be wrong but that's what I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikael Siversson said:

So what you are saying (given we saw Jedd pull about 90k) is that Jedd's thickbar strength is less than 3/4 of that of Laine with a rolling handle. Based on solid dumbbell lifts I disagree (I know they are not exactly the same). Jedd is lifting the 78k Inch a lot easier than Laine is lifting that Millenium bell (45 degree tilt at take off as seen in the video by Alawadhi). I know the larger bell is more prone to roll out of your hand but believe Laine would not pull 120k+ using a comparable style. Might be wrong but that's what I think. 

Yes I think Laine is way stronger than Jedd with rolling handles. Waaaay stronger.

How many times have you seen Jedd lift 150 kg on the RT or 130 on the crusher? About zer0 times dude.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes I think Laine is way stronger than Jedd with rolling handles. Waaaay stronger.

How many times have you seen Jedd lift 150 kg on the RT or 130 on the crusher? About zer0 times dude.

What a strawman argument, implying that I inferred that they were equal in strength with rolling handles.

2 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

What a strawman argument, implying that I inferred that they were equal in strength with rolling handles.

Haha, yeah right. You start talking about dumbbells when it's about rolling handles. The stats doesn't lie. My argument is about 100% better than yours.

Maybe you're just disappointed that the LGC handle isn't the hardest handle? What do I know.

Luke is 100% right in his prediction though, Raptor or RGT is going to win.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Haha, yeah right. You start talking about dumbbells when it's about rolling handles. The stats doesn't lie. My argument is about 100% better than yours.

Maybe you're just disappointed that the LGC handle isn't the hardest handle? What do I know.

Luke is 100% right in his prediction though, Raptor or RGT is going to win.

Based on your comment you don't seem to grasp the concept of a strawman argument. One thing I have learned is that you can never win an argument against stupidity because it keeps on coming back.

10 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Based on your comment you don't seem to grasp the concept of a strawman argument. One thing I have learned is that you can never win an argument against stupidity because it keeps on coming back.

Ok Mr.Scientist. Keep comparing apples to oranges.

I know you always want to "win" arguments. That's why it's so tiring to read your comments.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I know you always want to "win" arguments. That's why it's so tiring to read your comments.

Vem är du eftersom du uppenbart är svensk?

On 11/17/2020 at 3:24 AM, Mikael Siversson said:

I don’t think it is much of a stretch Mikael. Look at the 2020 King Kong results.

Carl Myerscough won with 120.1 Kgs. Jedd came in 17th, just under 99.

Based on what Laine was doing just prior to KK, it would not be unreasonable for Laine to have pulled more than Carl.

Rolling Thunder versus the Inch was discussed extensively in the past on this forum, and the conclusion is they are apples and oranges. For years I have maintained that for whatever reason, “height” seems to matter with rolling handles as well, taller folks having an advantage everything being equal.

Back on the subject of this thread, just as there would not be a King Kong contest without Eric’s dedication, I cannot see anyone else pulling together all these different handles and taking the time and expense to do this runthrough other than Jedd. Sure, it won’t be perfect, but it’s introducing all sorts of gadgets to those of us that didn’t even know existed.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

I haven't even heard of some of these handles - I think it will be an interesting experiment.  And if nothing else introduce many of us to "all" the options out there - I hope Jedd includes info on the makers and where to purchase etc.

• Like 2

What is Snooks best competition pull on an RT? The 150kg was a training lift, right? We all know how much the RT varies so 150kg on one handle might translate to 120kg on another. 

No offense meant to Snook. I know he’s the man. I’m just asking because IMO comparing one RT lift to another RT is even more apples to oranges than comparing a solid dumbbell to rolling handle.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1

Watching the videos again while waiting for new rounds to load I have noticed that the height from the ground does seem to play a part in how much you can lift.

For the people who train with a couple of different rolling handles is this the case? or is it more coincidence?

Having joined this forum for mainly my enjoyment of hand gripper training this has brought about a new interest.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WestSlope said:

It will be interesting to know which is the hardest rolling handle. More important to me is whether I want to train and compete with the device and is the rolling resistance consistent over time. I would rather train and compete with metal handles than with the plastic or composite handles of the RT or Country Crush. It seems like the Bear Grips and LGC might be my choice regardless of difficulty.

Good point. I would probably go with the Silarukov because of three reasons:

1.It has a nice surface which takes chalk well.
2.It's cheap
3.Construction is good enough

On 11/18/2020 at 9:07 AM, climber511 said:

I haven't even heard of some of these handles - I think it will be an interesting experiment.  And if nothing else introduce many of us to "all" the options out there - I hope Jedd includes info on the makers and where to purchase etc.

I pretty much already shot that video and posted it in the Diesel Crew section of the gripboard.  

On 11/18/2020 at 8:20 AM, Hubgeezer said:

I don’t think it is much of a stretch Mikael. Look at the 2020 King Kong results.

Based on what Laine was doing just prior to KK, it would not be unreasonable for Laine to have pulled more than Carl.

Rolling Thunder versus the Inch was discussed extensively in the past on this forum, and the conclusion is they are apples and oranges. For years I have maintained that for whatever reason, “height” seems to matter with rolling handles as well, taller folks having an advantage everything being equal.

Back on the subject of this thread, just as there would not be a King Kong contest without Eric’s dedication, I cannot see anyone else pulling together all these different handles and taking the time and expense to do this runthrough other than Jedd. Sure, it won’t be perfect, but it’s introducing all sorts of gadgets to those of us that didn’t even know existed.

The only good way to test all of our strength is with the same handle, on the same day, or perhaps the same handle sent around to one another and opened on film.

You just can't compare handle to handle.  Too many of them vary far too much from one handle to the next.

But yes, Both Carl and Laine are way ahead of me on Thick Bar. Just like Tanner and many others.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 8:44 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Mikael got really upset when he was intentionally arguing what a 98kg inch dumbbell is and everyone told him he knows. I then said that + he can't sleep at night if he doesn't criticize. He was upset and told me in another thread that I offended him. I said if that really offended him then I apologise. He didn't reply. Now you see him use words like stupidity. I don't understand him! I really hate it when someone doesn't want anyone to criticize him, yet he does and use offensive words. 

Now, Mikael is right that tilt lifts is way different than "correct" lifts. They are easier.

Rolling handles are not the same as thick dumbbells/inch dumbbells. Yes there is a cross over but it is not same.

Doing only strict lifts on inch dumbbells does not mean at all you can rep it more using tilt. Assuming you don't train tilt at all.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Good point. I would probably go with the Silarukov because of three reasons:

1.It has a nice surface which takes chalk well.
2.It's cheap
3.Construction is good enough

The Silarukov is a nice piece of equipment I'm very pleased with mine. I think both the Silarukov and LGC are solid pieces of equipment and the only handles I tried. The main difference is the ability to hold chalk. The Silarukov surface is more rough than the LGC and I think Silarukov will hold chalk much better since the LGC has a smother surface. That smooth surface is the reason I think LGC will end up at the top, or at least top 3 in the tournament. With that said I've never used chalk on my rolling handles yet so I don't know how much difference chalk vs. non-chalk make.

However, I'm really super excited to see the remaining clashes and hopefully the Silarukov and LGC will clash sooner or later.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Wouldn't it be great if we could standardize a design that could be made in any country by any approved manufacturer?

Yes it would be great. Also a reason I would go with the Silarukov, it has a very simple design and it's a good enough design. Robert Baraban makes the same type but the finish on them are very slick and they don't hold chalk.

I think the Silarukov handle is the best handle if you want a consistent handle. You can always chalk it, in any weather conditions and it doesn't have the drawbacks that the RT handles has with chalk getting inside.

9 hours ago, Weakman said:

The Silarukov is a nice piece of equipment I'm very pleased with mine. I think both the Silarukov and LGC are solid pieces of equipment and the only handles I tried. The main difference is the ability to hold chalk. The Silarukov surface is more rough than the LGC and I think Silarukov will hold chalk much better since the LGC has a smother surface. That smooth surface is the reason I think LGC will end up at the top, or at least top 3 in the tournament. With that said I've never used chalk on my rolling handles yet so I don't know how much difference chalk vs. non-chalk make.

However, I'm really super excited to see the remaining clashes and hopefully the Silarukov and LGC will clash sooner or later.

We loaded 250 kg (550 Lbs) on the LGC-handle. We could not feel any resistans when we tried to rotate the handle. We are using Swedish high quality ball bearings from SKF. 🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes it would be great. Also a reason I would go with the Silarukov, it has a very simple design and it's a good enough design. Robert Baraban makes the same type but the finish on them are very slick and they don't hold chalk.

I think the Silarukov handle is the best handle if you want a consistent handle. You can always chalk it, in any weather conditions and it doesn't have the drawbacks that the RT handles has with chalk getting inside.

Chalking is very important.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 11:52 PM, WestSlope said:

It will be interesting to know which is the hardest rolling handle. More important to me is whether I want to train and compete with the device and is the rolling resistance consistent over time. I would rather train and compete with metal handles than with the plastic or composite handles of the RT or Country Crush. It seems like the Bear Grips and LGC might be my choice regardless of difficulty.

If you want to win, you have to train on the handle that will be on the competition. More spinning handles will display smaller numbers due to the "opening" of the wrist and load on the fingertips and thumb. With a handle of the same diameter but less rotation, you can pull with a more bent wrist, loading the stronger phalanges closer to the palm and reducing the load to the larger one. I think that almost everyone involved in this discussion understands this. By training on a bear grip handle, much more rotating than any RT - you will never reach your maximum on RT ...

As for Silarukov, different batches are painted with different paints, respectively, the friction and coupling are different. In recent years, the paint on all of their handles is mate, but the depth of texture may vary. In addition, when dropped, chips form on the painted surface - which also changes the friction. These are the disadvantages of any painted device, such as Im a hub, for example, or Im pinch blocks ...

Once Denis Shmarev even quarreled with me during a discussion of this feature. He likes the colored version, but I don't like the lack of consistency and not knowing what texture your opponent is lifting on - I'm not a fan of lottery. Everyone remained with self opinion..

Edited by Ivan Pupchenko
  • Like 3

On 11/20/2020 at 4:35 AM, Alawadhi said:

Mikael got really upset when he was intentionally arguing what a 98kg inch dumbbell is and everyone told him he knows. I then said that + he can't sleep at night if he doesn't criticize. He was upset and told me in another thread that I offended him. I said if that really offended him then I apologise. He didn't reply. Now you see him use words like stupidity. I don't understand him! I really hate it when someone doesn't want anyone to criticize him, yet he does and use offensive words. 

Now, Mikael is right that tilt lifts is way different than "correct" lifts. They are easier.

Rolling handles are not the same as thick dumbbells/inch dumbbells. Yes there is a cross over but it is not same.

Doing only strict lifts on inch dumbbells does not mean at all you can rep it more using tilt. Assuming you don't train tilt at all.

Laine uses tilt of implement at the starting position putting all necessary loading on his wrist and then his hand is about zero tilt at the top. 

On 11/18/2020 at 9:20 PM, Hubgeezer said:

But now you are comparing competition lifts when you have to perform on a given day, regardless of the form, with a training lift. People tend to post training feats when they are at peak strength.

• Like 1