HARD TO HANDLE Tournament - What is the HARDEST Thick Bar Rolling Handle on the Market?

Jedd Johnson

I'm going to be running an ongoing video series called HARD TO HANDLE.  It will be a bracket-style tournament to crown the HARDEST Thick Bar Rolling Handle on the Market today.

I have many handles, and some folks have been gracious enough to send me theirs to borrow for the tournament.

The video below describes everything in more detail, but I've already learned of a handle that I either didn't know existed or totally forgot about, and that is the PDA Rolling Handle, that Rick Walker told me about. He says he used to own one and sold it to someone, but doesn't remember who bought it.

Does anyone on the board these days have one of the PDA Rolling Handles in the 60mm, 2&3/8, 2.5 and/or up to 2.6" in thickness? If so, I would love to borrow it for this tournament.  

I have borrowed a Titan Fitness rolling handle, and also have a Trillobite and Silarukov handle on their way as well.  Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with this.

Thanks so much.  I'm looking to have some fun with this and hope you all do too.

Here's the video showing what I'm talking about (not sure why the video isn't appearing - if I need to do something different, let m know and I'll edit it.  I haven't posted on here and a while and something may have changed)

https://youtu.be/cCkKrEMcerw

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The Bear Claw stainless rollers made in Russia are the hardest turning handles I’ve ever lifted - you definitely want to try that Jedd. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

The Bear Claw stainless rollers made in Russia are the hardest turning handles I’ve ever lifted - you definitely want to try that Jedd. 

Do you have one I could borrow for a couple/three weeks?

It sounds like there is also a Baraban handle out there I'm not familiar with.  

Anyone know if there is an Otevoima rolling handle?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

It sounds like there is also a Baraban handle out there I'm not familiar with.  

Anyone know if there is an Otevoima rolling handle?

Thanks

I would really like to see you test the LGC handle Jedd. It's a bit hard to find since it's made in very small quantities but I'm sure there are some people in the US who owns them already. So you might find one you can borrow or rent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

I would really like to see you test the LGC handle Jedd. It's a bit hard to find since it's made in very small quantities but I'm sure there are some people in the US who owns them already. So you might find one you can borrow or rent.

I have one coming from Eric Milfeld!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, Jedd Johnson said:

I have one coming from Eric Milfeld!  Thanks!

Great, this will be interesting to follow. This is something I've always wondered about, which is the hardest RH :D 

29 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Do you have one I could borrow for a couple/three weeks?

Sure can buddy 👍👍👍

2 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Sure can buddy 👍👍👍

Sweet!  Sent you a text to number ending in (8159), my man.  Hopefully that's the correct number. Thanks.

18 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Great, this will be interesting to follow. This is something I've always wondered about, which is the hardest RH :D 

From my own experience my LGC max is around 80% of my RT max. And IMO is definitely the hardest rolling handle ever made. But will be fun to see the final results of all the RH :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 10:28 AM, bruce1337 said:

From my own experience my LGC max is around 80% of my RT max. And IMO is definitely the hardest rolling handle ever made. But will be fun to see the final results of all the RH :)

Stay tuned. There's harder....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Stay tuned. There's harder....

I've got goose bumps 😱

• Like 1

I have pulled 95k on the old (2002) version of the RT whereas I am yet to pull 70k on the LGC. Main difference is the the old RT binds up as you get stronger, i.e., if your strength increases by say 10% your RT numbers will go up by more than 10%. I feel the surface on the LGC is relatively grip friendly. Works best if you chalk up and then wash it off and keep your hands slightly moist although the moisture level is for me more critical with the plastic (I think) old RT handle. I suspect the hardest handle will be the one with most slippery surface as long as it does not bind up under load. How easily and smoothly a handle spins is more an indication of engineering proficiency than outright difficulty although it certainly makes a handle harder all other things being equal.

• Like 1

I also think it important to consider Jedd's level of fatigue which makes it difficult to compare results from different match ups.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 10:28 PM, bruce1337 said:

Mine is even lower.

• Like 1

I suspect that we would get a slightly different ranking with another tester. The different characteristics of the various handles may well require a different strength profile to overcome (eg wrist flexion strength vs finger strength vs thumb strength in a thickbar position).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I have pulled 95k on the old (2002) version of the RT whereas I am yet to pull 70k on the LGC. Main difference is the the old RT binds up as you get stronger, i.e., if your strength increases by say 10% your RT numbers will go up by more than 10%. I feel the surface on the LGC is relatively grip friendly. Works best if you chalk up and then wash it off and keep your hands slightly moist although the moisture level is for me more critical with the plastic (I think) old RT handle. I suspect the hardest handle will be the one with most slippery surface as long as it does not bind up under load. How easily and smoothly a handle spins is more an indication of engineering proficiency than outright difficulty although it certainly makes a handle harder all other things being equal.

I should point out that lifts on the same type of handle may not be directly comparable if different rules are applied. For example, in the LGC competition the handle must be kept horizontal from start to finish (not slightly tilted). For me that means placing my right hand in the middle of the handle and not towards the end of the handle. However, I have to place my left hand more towards the left end in order to maintain a horizontal handle during the lift, weird but true.

• Like 1

Very entertaining series great to watch.

I did feel sorry for the Mannino Handle with fatigue kicking in just so close to call.

9 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I also think it important to consider Jedd's level of fatigue which makes it difficult to compare results from different match ups.

That was addressed in the rules. No comparisons will be used unless they are done in the same match.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I should point out that lifts on the same type of handle may not be directly comparable if different rules are applied. For example, in the LGC competition the handle must be kept horizontal from start to finish (not slightly tilted). For me that means placing my right hand in the middle of the handle and not towards the end of the handle. However, I have to place my left hand more towards the left end in order to maintain a horizontal handle during the lift, weird but true.

I'm lifting the same on all these handles for consistency. When I compete in Europe on the handle used there, I'll train and compete by those times, for now, I'm trying to produce decent numbers in a short time, not worrying about minute details. I understand competition lifts are more strict, without a skinny. I'm lifting in a competition though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I'm lifting the same on all these handles for consistency. When I compete in Europe on the handle used there, I'll train and compete by those times, for now, I'm trying to produce decent numbers in a short time, not worrying about minute details. I understand competition lifts are more strict, without a skinny. I'm lifting in a competition though. 

No worries and yes I did notice you used a consistent style.

• Like 1

Very interesting! Serms like the LGC ain’t so bad as some of us have thought it was. 

55 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Very interesting! Serms like the LGC ain’t so bad as some of us have thought it was. 

It has barely been in any real contests. Only in LGC and in some comp in Norway and in some grip challenge in Stockholm as far as I know. All has been lock-out lifts. World record is 92.5 kg if I'm not mistaken. Or was it 93?

I think guys like Laine could probably do, atleast 110 kg+ on it.

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

It has barely been in any real contests. Only in LGC and in some comp in Norway and in some grip challenge in Stockholm as far as I know. All has been lock-out lifts. World record is 92.5 kg if I'm not mistaken. Or was it 93?

The record for LGC on competition with the strikt LGC-rules is 95 kg by Håkan Carlsson. Håkan has lift 97 kg on training. Kalle Laine has lift, if I remember correctly,  just under 90 kg on competition. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Depends as I have never seen Laine lift a rolling handle with LGC rules (handle horizontal). It's always with some tilt.