Dead Lift Objective 405# Minimum

Luke Whippo

Speed squats - 225 x 10, no rest, 255 x 3, no rest, 275 x 5, no rest 145 clean - 6 overhead presses.

Floor pressing for speed reps, very light, still a newbie...........

Dead Lifts

220 x 2

270 x 1

320 x 1

370 x 1

435 x 1 (didn't feel as good as usual), 420 x 1 - comfy but a little slow.

I'm thinking I need to turn up some volume in the 420-440 range. I was overall disappointed, but I felt the right muscles getting worked.

Long way from a Viking, so more eskimo stuff........

Found a part two of the "don't eat the yellow snow suite", just a different year and some "visual aid"......

Revisited some old lifts........

Messed around with log press 12" log up to just over 190.

Bottom up squat with 315 for a couple singles.

Finished with 225 x 15 for some speed reppin.

FINALLY I found this video, I've been looking for this for a long time. I couldn't find this bastard because it's named "King Kong", while it begins with King Kong, it turns into what I was looking for, called "Sexually Aroused Gas Mask", a brilliant piece of work ...............

Couple things, This was 6 days from last DL day, I usually DL every 7 days. I'm actually posting a lifting video today, just to give a visual of how I lift all the time, no flexy tricky bars, no cranking of belts.

I wanted to add more singles to get better at heavier singles, on my 3rd set (I usually don't do 3 sets) I elevated the bar ontop of a 25 and 11# plate, this was just enough to make the lift a tad harder by taking some legs out but no overly changing the lift, this was just to get a feel so I stayed with 420, I plan to maybe go 10-20# heavier on it, it's actually a harder start for me and should be used as a training tool for pulling singles, not to be abused with too much overloading.

I feel my problem is my start, I start with too low hips, I should be starting with hips a tad higher, this is why I elevated the lift, I will continue to work on both of these every week now.

Set 1, 425-

Set 2, 430-

Elevated Dead 420, harder to get started, but felt very comfy once I got it going - 

• 2 weeks later...

Ah lets see....

Bottom up squat - 325

squat clean and presses - still working light 170's (maybe break into 190 soon)

Floor presses without a rack - still working light

Dead Lift-

220 x 2

270 x 1

330 x 1

370  x 1

400 x 1

430 x 1

Elevated (just like the vid I posted) 450 x 1 - this was hard to get moving, as it's supposed to be, limited leg drive, once it got moving it was easy.

Bottoms up squat 350#

squat clean and push press 190

Floor presses still pretty light, just using this as an assist to the overhead press, it's working, 190 felt real good.

Dead Lift-

220 x 2

270 x 1

340 x 1

380 x 1

405 x 1

430 x 1 - felt great, hips started higher, good.

Elevated Dead - 455 x 1 This felt great!

Looks like "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" youtube with Oh No / Orange County Lumber Truck got taken down, well I found something else to replace it, a little better, but missing the great voice of Ray Collins of Oh No and this don't have the awesome cover with the big band jazz dude shaving using a Weasel. BTW I didn't know Zappa actually liked Black Sabbath! Gezzer Butler was a Zappa fanatic during the early Mothers days, Butler is the man behind Black Sabbath music, and Sweat Leaf riff was a stolen from Zappa's Hungry Freaks track, they were gonna play together in the 70's, but Zappa just announced them due bad luck with the equipment and no sound checks for Frank before the show.

Bottom up squat 355 

Squat clean and push press 194

Went home ate, Teeth lift 160 x 1 (uploaded that to the Strength and Power section), believe it or not that ROM is painful more than anything, it stretched the tendons/muscles that run down the traps so much I immediately strained the middle of my neck, as I bobble my head the pain is in my middle back, like a knife. The level was at a 6 yesterday, 16 hours of sleep (well 4 tossing cause of the pain). I woke up feeling better, tonight after some floor pressing the pain is almost gone, just some normal DOMS.

I've done that lots of times, when I lifted 150 that happened, but the pain level was only at a 3. So I have to practice more with 140-150ish.

Back in the CD days (when I had a CD player) I would blast this one, it moves the molecules in the room........

Dead Lift-

220 x 2

270 x 2

320 x 1

370 x 1

410 x 1 (thought about calling it here, but then realized I'd regret it)

432 x 1 

I really need to change the title to minimum 425# now.

Nice new unleased find here -

No new PR's this week, worked up to a 255 front squat via 10# increases from 205, it's volume for me.

Still doing Hard Floor Pressing, working up in weight, still too light too post numbers.

Dead Lift day, I'm tired and feeling beat up, I wasn't even going to lift today, but I'm taking my days as they come. I had an opportunity to lift, so I took it........

Dead Lift - focusing on slight form adjust, hips are higher and I'm working on NOT squatting the bar off the floor, 2- weeks in a row feeling like I don't want to lift $hit, hitting over 430 and feeling damn good, the new form is working.......

220 x 2

290 x 1

340 x 1

410 x 1

435 x 1 best 430+ I've felt in over a month.

Didn't have time for the elevated Dead Lift, maybe next week.

Flakes, California has the most of 'em! It was true even back in 1978...............

Edited by Luke Whippo

Squat clean and push press- 

190 x 1

200 x 1 (finally breaking 200).

Here are some squat vids from yesterday, It's rare I perform single squats-

Dead Lift-

220 x 1

280 x 1

340 x 1

380 x 1

410 x 1

438 x 1

Elevated 468 x 1

This is a great one, I'm not a fan of punk rock but I believe Mr. Zappa was a pioneer in some elements of "punk rock", even way back in the early Mothers days, this one has some speed to it and the guitar riff is phenomenal. There is another version I've heard that has a deeper riff too.

Floor press / curl routine, I do floor presses up my new weight, then do curls-120 x 3 and then add weight for 1 rep, going to see how heavy I can go.

Dead Lift-

220 x 1

290 x 1

340 x 1

380 x 1

412 x 1

440 x 1 easy

HA, HA, Flo and Eddie, Dunbar on drums.......

• 3 weeks later...

Changing my form, I foolishly took advice from youtube videos that say "stop squatting your Dead Lift" well there is a reason I squat my Deads, 10 days ago I blew out the lower back on 405.

I could barely walk or move.

I started back dead lifting the next day with a flat back and using leg drive. I will be taking a few weeks working in more reps and under 405.

10 days and here is my dead lift workout pain free-

220 x 3

250 x 3

260 x 1

280 x 3

310 x 6

330 x 1

342 x 1

Dead Lifts-

225 x 4

275 x 2

315 x 5

345 x 3

365 x 2

Back is pain free, sticking with reps for now.

Did some floor pressing and curls, cheat curl up to 132.5 with no back pain.

This means I go back out to the clubs dancing............

Dead Lift-

220 x 5

270 x 3

290 x 1

320 x 6

350 x 1

370 x 3

380 x 1

Everything was easy.

Here is my set of 370 x 3, keeping the back flat.

This is badass here, incredible, starts with "Pound for a Brown" and then my personal favorite "Sleeping in a Jar" finishes off with something loud and scary.......

This week strict overhead press from rack with 150, bunch of singles.

More floor pressing without a rack and power curls.

Elevated Dead Lift-

220 x few

270 xfew

300 x few

340 x 5

370 x 1

390 x 2

400 x 1

Here is 400, it was better than 390, form is totally changed-

This week-

Standing overhead pressing from rack 130 many sets of 3-4 reps

Light Dead Lift day - working set 353 x 8

Heavy day- Elevated Dead Lift 405 x 3

The making of Return of the son of monster magnet-

Standing strict overhead press from rack bunch of sets of 3 with 140 then-

140 x 4

140 x 4

The press is improving, this is why-

Floor press, no rack-

up to 175 x 3

181 x 3

186 x 3

188.5 x 3

Powercurl-

120 x 1

122.5 x 1

133.5 x 1

I was NOT at this show, and it was one of the best Halloween shows I've heard, in a band transition phase to, Terry Bozzio's first year, one of the last in the 70's for Napoleon Murphy Brock, but the real treat was Roy Estrada back on bass, Roy was the musical tool, Frank was the composer.

The first section was the world premiere of what would become the rap "Packard Goose" with Franks message to the sleazy Rock and Roll writers, then it loads into "Black Napkins" with some fur trapper stuff in the middle...............  

Light Dead Lift Day - guess I'm not living up to my journal title, but I think I got some slight sciatica or whatever that is from this last injury, getting older is great!

Full Deads

220 x 5

240 x 2

270 x 3

310 x 3

340 x 10, that was fun, and felt great!

Oh this great, especially the very end, I wish this guy was still around to talk about this stuff during this goofy PC age we are in, I guess it was back then too.....................

Standing overhead press from rack-

up to 5 sets of 1 with 155, then 160 x 1

Elevated Dead lift up to - 410 x 3

More Black Napkins-

• 2 weeks later...

Nice updates, but I'll say what I did a few months ago. I think some actual coaching would help you. You have injured and re- platuexed several times and best lifts were all pre-injuries.  Im serious about the benefits of professional coaching btw, I'm no powerlifter myself but I have seen my buddies add 10-20% to their best home lifts. Do your realise your stance is uneven for your lift above, left foot is opened. I really think with that level strength you an easy 500+ lifter with some training. Just my 2c