Edinburgh Handedness Inventory

Andrew S

There is a way to quantify left or right-handedness called the Edinburgh Handedness Inventory. The scale ranges from -100 (completely left-handed) to +100 (completely right-handed) with 0 being completely ambidextrous.

Here is a link to an online assessment: http://www.brainmapping.org/shared/Edinburgh.php

The scale is based on everyday tasks, but it would be interesting to see how it correlates with grip strength.

For example, my Edinburgh score is -5, very slightly left hand dominant. I write lefty but switch back and forth on most other tasks. Rolling handles and pinch are just a little stronger lefty, vertical lifts are a little stronger righty, and I am much weaker at grippers righty for some reason.

Pretty much everyone has some events they are stronger left and some right. I can’t remember one person in grip who is stronger on everything with one hand or the other 

• Like 1

I am super wonky when it comes to handedness; being naturally LH and left eye dominant (write, eat, brush teeth, weld, shoot guns) for finer dexterity driven movements. However, my RH is for power movements (throwing, shooting basketball). I ended up in the -20 Middle deciles as working in construction and now doing welding fabrication I do different things with each hand and have learned to do most tasks with both hands. 

8 hours ago, Chez said:

Pretty much everyone has some events they are stronger left and some right. I can’t remember one person in grip who is stronger on everything with one hand or the other 

I have two movements my LH is stronger (sledge hammer choke and sledge face lever), both of which are more painful with my RH due decreased wrist mobility.