Gripper advice wanted

JJM

I'm having this problem with heavier grippers: when approaching fully closed position the handles tend to stop moving and I have to pump it two or three times to get the last few millimeters. It advances on every pump but then stops again. So it drains my energy every time I have to beat the static friction over and over again.

Is there any good way to get rid of this? It can't be the most optimal way of closing grippers. More strength is obvious, but does it help to do exaggeratedly slow closes with easier grippers for example? Any other ideas?

Or is it just my characteristic way of doing it? Some people are fast with high power, and some are slower with brutal torque? I do start the crush as explosively as possible.

I would focus a bit more on the closing part with beyond the range and also speed work with lighter grippers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You could try choked gripper closes. Hose clamp it down to the last 1/4" and work that spot. But just getting stronger, like you said, is what's needed. There will always be a harder gripper no matter who you are. They make them harder than any human can close.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the good tips. Actually these are things I've been doing in the past and I think there wasn't such a problem back then. Now it happens with submaximal grippers, but I've been doing only regular closes with MMS and block sets lately. Not any extra work on that area in question. I will include them into my workouts and see what happens.

Especially the speed closes have served me well sometimes when I've had a short peaking period. The results have come quickly.

People always comment on the speed of my closes and I have been asked if I train specifically for it and honestly what I do is it just try to explode into the close as soon as the gripper is set without waiting. I don't block sets etc cause that can slow you down. I only practice that leading up to a competition that requires it for practice. so maybe thats it since I do it with every close. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

People always comment on the speed of my closes and I have been asked if I train specifically for it and honestly what I do is it just try to explode into the close as soon as the gripper is set without waiting. I don't block sets etc cause that can slow you down. I only practice that leading up to a competition that requires it for practice. so maybe thats it since I do it with every close. 

Well that makes sense. The problem have gotten worse now that I'm working towards GHP challence and used block sets a lot lately.

21 minutes ago, JJM said:

Well that makes sense. The problem have gotten worse now that I'm working towards GHP challence and used block sets a lot lately.

People over think the block set. Just get strong and throw it when your cert or comp gets close so it’s quick and automatic 

16 hours ago, JJM said:

I'm having this problem with heavier grippers: when approaching fully closed position the handles tend to stop moving and I have to pump it two or three times to get the last few millimeters. It advances on every pump but then stops again. So it drains my energy every time I have to beat the static friction over and over again.

Is there any good way to get rid of this? It can't be the most optimal way of closing grippers. More strength is obvious, but does it help to do exaggeratedly slow closes with easier grippers for example? Any other ideas?

Or is it just my characteristic way of doing it? Some people are fast with high power, and some are slower with brutal torque? I do start the crush as explosively as possible.

Mechanically the your hand is trying to optimize force vectors with your close and these change slight at varying widths so more than likely you are making micro adjustments with finger pressure and also with thumb assistance to gain those last few mm. Gil discussed this in the past and I also experience it on grippers that are at max effort or just above. 

4 hours ago, JJM said:

Thank you all for the good tips. Actually these are things I've been doing in the past and I think there wasn't such a problem back then. Now it happens with submaximal grippers, but I've been doing only regular closes with MMS and block sets lately. Not any extra work on that area in question. I will include them into my workouts and see what happens.

Especially the speed closes have served me well sometimes when I've had a short peaking period. The results have come quickly.

Might just be a sign that you're overworked and not fully recovered.

3 hours ago, Chez said:

People over think the block set. Just get strong and throw it when your cert or comp gets close so it’s quick and automatic 

True, when MMS is at it's peak, block set is also going to be stronger than ever automatically after a few sessions of practice. You could focus a lot on block sets, however the downside by doing that is if you do it for too long you will most likely lose strength.

1.5" GHP block set is usually 94-95% of my MMS, only after one or two sessions practicing it.

10 hours ago, Chez said:

Well that makes sense too. It's not that it is difficult to slide the block between handles, it just takes strength to close it after.

7 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

Mechanically the your hand is trying to optimize force vectors with your close and these change slight at varying widths so more than likely you are making micro adjustments with finger pressure and also with thumb assistance to gain those last few mm. Gil discussed this in the past and I also experience it on grippers that are at max effort or just above. 

Interesting, really didn't think of that. It must come from muscle memory and be a learned skill.

Sometimes I wonder how far and diverse a "simple" gripper crushing have evolved.

6 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Might just be a sign that you're overworked and not fully recovered.

The actual problem started earlier, but this is definitely true right now. I got thinking that maybe I've allowed me too much recovery time lately, so decided cut down the rest days, increase training volume and for once do the workouts on predetermined days. Just for variation. It's been nice to see how much power can be generated despite having to push myself to actually even do something.

Edited by JJM

Has anyone experimented with thumbless gripper closes? We all know the thumb helps "pull" the handles closer for the final few mm's so would doing thumbless closes prevent the so called "hits" and force you to close it in one sweep? I wonder if that would translate to closing bigger grippers at all.