Inverted gripper closes

Metatron89

Hi, I'm pretty new to the grip scene and have just registered so hello to you all :)

I've been training on grippers for a few months now and have made reasonable progress in my opinion. When I first got my Ironmind grippers I could only just close the #1 and am now a few mm from closing the #2.5. here's the thing though, I can only just close the #2 in my right hand and I have to invert the gripper to nearly close the #2.5 in my left. I am left hand dominant but if I set the gripper normally in my left I can barely close the #1.5 and if I invert the grippers in my right i can hardly close the #1 lol. 

Is this normal for left handed people? I've seen videos of Gabriel Sum doing left handed closes normally and he appears to be left hand dominant? Does anyone else find grippers easier inverted? 

Look forward to hearing from you guys :)

• Like 1

Yes they are harder with left hand due to how the spring is wound. When you flip it upside down you're inverting the spring so it acts like it does in your right hand, only difference is the handles.

You can buy left-turn grippers from ironmind if you don't want to train this way.

Unfortunately they don't offer any in between grippers like the #2.5 tho.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm aware that ironmind do left turn grippers, I've just never really seen anyone mention the inverted gripper closing before and never really seen any videos of it being done before, I know being a lefty is rare but it's not that rare, there must be a fair few of them on here? 

I'd be interested if any right handed people on here try closing a left turn gripper inverted in their right hand and see how they get along? 

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Metatron89 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm aware that ironmind do left turn grippers, I've just never really seen anyone mention the inverted gripper closing before and never really seen any videos of it being done before, I know being a lefty is rare but it's not that rare, there must be a fair few of them on here? 

I'd be interested if any right handed people on here try closing a left turn gripper inverted in their right hand and see how they get along? 

Thanks.

I'm left handed but I have more muscle mass in my right side so I'm stronger right handed. Especially in crushing since my righ hand is thicker than my left.

I never really bothered with inverted closes. There's no certs for it and I don't really see any reason to do them. I'd rather just train normally. Try to find grippers in the right range etc.

If you don't train inverted closes they will be harder. Most people don't train them. So the results will not be as good for most people.

2 hours ago, Metatron89 said:

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks.

I'm left handed too. A few mm off closing the #3 with my right and my left is miles off. It's just something you need to accept when training grippers that your left will be weaker unless you want to spend money on left turn grippers I guess. I've never tried inverted though and I don't think I will, I'd rather get work in with the normal position/setting technique. If I want to get a bit more work in with my left I just hold it closed longer on the last reps.

I've played around with inverted closes for over 15yrs. Key word played. I will do a couple randomly when doing other random closes. I can no set my 2 inverted anytime but couldn't get a 3 inverted.  

I think it does hit the hand differently so it could be decent for overall hand strength. 

46 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I've played around with inverted closes for over 15yrs. Key word played. I will do a couple randomly when doing other random closes. I can no set my 2 inverted anytime but couldn't get a 3 inverted.  

I think it does hit the hand differently so it could be decent for overall hand strength. 

Is that in your left or right hand? Can you close a higher gripper inverted in your left rather than setting it normally? 

Thanks for all the replies guys!

5 minutes ago, Metatron89 said:

Is that in your left or right hand? Can you close a higher gripper inverted in your left rather than setting it normally? 

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I’m probably not the best guy to ask don't have much experience been training grippers about 6 months. I do a lot of inverted closes though. I always to regular closes left and right then inverted closes left and right. My right is stronger then my left always on regular closes and usually on inverted my left and right are about equal but I can close my 2.5 left no problem for about 6 reps and can’t do a single inverted rep with my 2.5 left handed.

2 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

I’m probably not the best guy to ask don't have much experience been training grippers about 6 months. I do a lot of inverted closes though. I always to regular closes left and right then inverted closes left and right. My right is stronger then my left always on regular closes and usually on inverted my left and right are about equal but I can close my 2.5 left no problem for about 6 reps and can’t do a single inverted rep with my 2.5 left handed.

Very interesting thanks.

Am I right in guessing you're right handed? 

11 minutes ago, Metatron89 said:

Very interesting thanks.

Am I right in guessing you're right handed? 

Yes, and I train grippers twice a week usually do 5 sets right and left then 4 sets inverted right and left.