Advice on DO Axle DL training?

AvgJo

I've been looking for something to focus on after I reach my gripper goals. There's a gym nearby me with an axle and the DO Axle DL seems pretty cool to work on. Also the fact that I haven't deadlifted in years would automatically mean using lighter loads, allowing me to ease into things which is a plus. How would you guys go about training the DO Axle DL? Deadlift was always my favourite of the compound lifts when I was a teen and I can see myself wanting to train it 3 days per week on full body sessions, Mon Wed and Fri. Would this be overkill? I was thinking 3x5, 3x3, 3-6x1 - something like that. Minimal other grip work besides that. Thick bar strength is something I'm lacking so some focus on it for a while could help my over all grip strength. It just seems like a nice option in terms of 'bang for your buck' in the gym in terms of grip focus. I find grippers make my workouts super long when done in between my work sets due to rest periods and even longer when done on their own as a separate workout - I like to get in and out with my workouts. Anyway, any advice appreciated. Cheers.

In my mind, it shouldn’t be much different than training anything else. Early on, develop load tolerance and work capacity through submaximal work (reps or holds). Progress gradually over time to higher intensities.

However, I’m new to thick bar/axle so I’m taking this from weightlifting & powerlifting experience.

Am interested your hear others’ thoughts as well...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, coffeegrip said:

In my mind, it shouldn’t be much different than training anything else. Early on, develop load tolerance and work capacity through submaximal work (reps or holds). Progress gradually over time to higher intensities.

However, I’m new to thick bar/axle so I’m taking this from weightlifting & powerlifting experience.

Am interested your hear others’ thoughts as well...

Yea its most likely just treat it as a regular deadlift 🤷‍♂️ I just thought the frequency or some other variable might be better off higher/lower since its grip focused but yea.

Edited by AvgJo

I dont have an axle but have trained thick bar. I find thick bar quite taxing, it makes my forearms very sore and take a while to recover. 

It depends on the rest of your grip program. Personally i think once maybe twice per week at most is enough for thick bar work.

• Like 2