Khaled almost no set a CoC 3.5 and 107.1 KG RT lift

Alawadhi

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I’m particularly impressed by his performance on grippers! Sure, the thickbar and pinch is absolutely world class, but that is perhaps to be expected from a strong individual with such large hands. For the grippers however, the size of his hands is more likely to be a hinderance than an advantage. Absolutely crazy strong dude!

MDB lift isn't to expect from anyone. Doesn't matter how big and strong they are.

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Yeah those closes prove that he is much more than just really large hands. 

So does his dumbbell lifts.

I've met a guy who had much bigger hands than Khaled has and he couldn't budge the inch db. He could easily have used a hook grip on the inch if he wanted to. His hands must have been over 10 inches. 

You need to be strong to lift these bells even if you have large hands.

@Alawadhi, how much can he lift on the shallow hub, has he tried it? I saw one of those in one of the vids. Would be interesting to see because on that implement larger hands should be a disadvantage.

56 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Neither of us can really testify to how difficult it is imo. You have one dude as an example. Doesn't mean anything. And of course you have to be strong. The question is how strong would you really need to be with that kind of wrap around the handle. 

You have to be strong to do 10 pull ups too, but it's two totally different feats if we compare a skinny dude to someone overweight. 

Lol your comment implied he was only doing these lifts because of his hand size.

This is a common myth spread around this board. To lift the MDB you need to be STRONG, period. Don't think anything else.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Oh no he understands well. But it seems he cannot sleep well at night if he doesn't criticize something. 

More videos to come. And I hope one day you two can train together to together lift the 98 KG Inch!

As for the dumbbell your description is fine. I don't see any reason to complain about that. However for the grippers I agree with Mikael, it was not a no set and they shouldn't be labeled as such.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I’m particularly impressed by his performance on grippers! Sure, the thickbar and pinch is absolutely world class, but that is perhaps to be expected from a strong individual with such large hands. For the grippers however, the size of his hands is more likely to be a hinderance than an advantage. Absolutely crazy strong dude!

Just my opinion but I disagree his hand size puts him in the perfect position for wider set closes. He might have more trouble with mm or deep set but i doubt it.

47 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

So, if his hands were 7.5" he would still toy with the MDB? 

He would probably lift it with smaller hands yes, not as easily but he would probably still get there with training with average hand size.

Why is it important for you to downplay his achievements? That's the question.

If someone puts up a close of a #4, does it matter if it's rates 204 or 209? Doesn't matter really, you need to be strong as hell to close a #4. Same way you need to be to lift the MDB.

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

It is your interpretation that I downplay his achievements. On the contrary I'd argue that I complimented him. I literally said that he is more than just a large hand. Which would, to me, be a way of saying that he is not just doing the things he does just because he has a large hand. I'll agree though that hand length is of minimal importance in thick bar lifts, if any importance at all. Just to end this. 

Ok, my point was that his strength was proven the first time he entered the grip gym and lifted the bells. Not because he closed some grippers, which by the way is nothing compared to all the stuff he had done before that.

For those who think hand size is such a huge advantage. Take a 50 mm (2") handle and bolt weights on it. Try to lift 106 kg with it in strict style. While you're working on that, just remember that the world record on the adjustable thick bar is set by a guy with normal size hands and that Mark Felix couldn't lift the millenium dumbbell.

8 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

@Alawadhi, how much can he lift on the shallow hub, has he tried it? I saw one of those in one of the vids. Would be interesting to see because on that implement larger hands should be a disadvantage.

He has a decent hub. Almost as good as me on IM hub. I can get to around 25KG and I am not bad. As for that smaller one it is 10 kg, not easy, and he can barely do it because of his finger thickness. Let me test him seriously on it next time.

7 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

As for the dumbbell your description is fine. I don't see any reason to complain about that. However for the grippers I agree with Mikael, it was not a no set and they shouldn't be labeled as such.

When did I say it was a no set. On my video description I said almost no set a 3.5. Look at the left hand attempt, very close to no set if any set. Right hand, around CCS. Am I wrong by saying almost? Maybe who knows 😅

26 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Ok, my point was that his strength was proven the first time he entered the grip gym and lifted the bells. Not because he closed some grippers, which by the way is nothing compared to all the stuff he had done before that.

For those who think hand size is such a huge advantage. Take a 50 mm (2") handle and bolt weights on it. Try to lift 106 kg with it in strict style. While you're working on that, just remember that the world record on the adjustable thick bar is set by a guy with normal size hands and that Mark Felix couldn't lift the millenium dumbbell.

Yes you said this first time you saw him lifting the 98KG inch. People (and me) doubted you. Chez even asked you "did you see him close anything remote to a #4?". Well thank God I was still skeptical because I wanted his hands to dail on grippers as it seemed hard for his hands. Well, not he is much closer to a 4 than 1.5 month back lol. You were right, if he did that 98kg inch that easily, he has the genetics for the #4 cert if he trains for it.

I don't believe it is easy at all to lift 104 50MM haha. Mark Felix who has bigger hands, did not and could not (best was 1 to 2 inches up on video) lift this bell, correct.

24 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

He has a decent hub. Almost as good as me on IM hub. I can get to around 25KG and I am not bad. As for that smaller one it is 10 kg, not easy, and he can barely do it because of his finger thickness. Let me test him seriously on it next time.

When did I say it was a no set. On my video description I said almost no set a 3.5. Look at the left hand attempt, very close to no set if any set. Right hand, around CCS. Am I wrong by saying almost? Maybe who knows 😅

Yes you said this first time you saw him lifting the 98KG inch. People (and me) doubted you. Chez even asked you "did you see him close anything remote to a #4?". Well thank God I was still skeptical because I wanted his hands to dail on grippers as it seemed hard for his hands. Well, not he is much closer to a 4 than 1.5 month back lol. You were right, if he did that 98kg inch that easily, he has the genetics for the #4 cert if he trains for it.

I don't believe it is easy at all to lift 104 50MM haha. Mark Felix who has bigger hands, did not and could not (best was 1 to 2 inches up on video) lift this bell, correct.

It can be interpeted differently when you type "almost" like you did. It can be "Almost closing it with a no set" or "Almost a no set". So in my opinion, if it's not a no set, it's better to just say: "Almost closes #3.5" :)

In the first videos when he closed grippers he had no technique at all. It was the first time he touched a gripper, right? It surely looked like that. Grippers are not "plug & play". While thick bar is. When you lift thick bar with strict style there's no technique invlolved. With grippers it's way different, your brain don't know the movement at all. It's not a movement you do in everyday life with your hand. Squeezing your fist is probably the closest thing but still not the same. I can still remember how weird it felt the first time I tried to close a gripper. Almost as trying to write for the first time. A completely unfamiliar movement. Once he get the technique down and if he has the desire, he will close the #4. 

Not surprising a shallow hub is difficult for him, those things are hard even for people with normal/big hands.

31 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I think I would need a smaller diameter than 50mm for the ratio to be the same, I can't bother enough to calculate it though. Although I'm pretty positive I'd lift more with a 50mm handle than 63mm 🤔

Try 45 mm then. To be honest 50 mm is probably enough. But 45 mm is still extremely hard. Make sure sure you document it and get back to us if you succeed, you then have very elite grip strength.

You could just try the adjustable thick bar set that David Horne sells. That should give you an idea how strong you are on these lifts with hand size taken out of the equation.

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

It is a valid point to bring up, if reason being so that I can better appreciate the difficulty of the feat and get some perspective on how difficult it really is, right? I would agree with that. 

However, I'm not implying that I can do it. Nor do I particularly care if I could or not either. Reason being that my only interest is closing grippers. Or certing the #3 rather. Great hand strength is not one of my goals. Now if it would turn out thickbar would be an excellent way to accomplish that goal, then I would do it as a means to an end. But I haven't seen any clear sign of that yet. 

And I acknowledge that his lifts are splendid. And I also acknowledge that large hands alone won’t make you lift the MDB automatically either. But to say it doesn't mean much is pretty interesting. If it didn't then the size of a handle wouldn't mean much either. But it was more surprising for me to see his crushing ability than his ability to lift those dumbbells. Seems that was the case for a lot of people. Could it be due to ignorance as you say? Yeah, possibly. Perhaps you are right. 

Hand size matters of course but having super large hands will not make you lift dumbbells like this alone. If that were the case a guy like Mark Felix would lift the MDB super easily, he has huge hands and are one of the strongest men in the world.

I think having small hands is a bigger factor. I think that is more of a disadvantage than the advantage is by having big hands (when I say small and big here I'm talking about the extremes, outside the normal range).

I think the hand size becomes less relevant once you reach a certain point. It gets less and less relevant as the weights get heavier and heavier. Having a big hand will always give you better leverage of course and you will be able to get more thumb over the fingers. But all that doesn't mean anything unless you're strong. 

As I said, try with smaller handle and you'll see.

As for training thick bar and grippers I would say it's 100% individual how you respond to the training. How good you can recover from thick bar training is the main issue I think.

Really simple: if two people, one with an 8.5” hand and the other with an 7.5” hand trained mms for their entire gripper work, and are pretty close in strength, are asked to ccs the same gripper, I’d bet the 8.5” person would have an easier time. Same with thick bar. Strength is strength of course...but it isn’t equal when the implements are a certain measure. This dude is strong no matter what! I don’t see the argument here. Bigger is better in everything in life except tumors and proctologist’s fingers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

Really simple: if two people, one with an 8.5” hand and the other with an 7.5” hand trained mms for their entire gripper work, and are pretty close in strength, are asked to ccs the same gripper, I’d bet the 8.5” person would have an easier time. Same with thick bar. Strength is strength of course...but it isn’t equal when the implements are a certain measure. This dude is strong no matter what! I don’t see the argument here. Bigger is better in everything in life except tumors and proctologist’s fingers!

And kidney stones. 

Lots of cat fighting in these threads. More thick bar and grippers and less skirts and lipstick fellas.

• Like 2