Grip Attack

John McCarter

Let's cut all the foreplay and get right to it. Last time I was serious about anything grip related was @anwnate 4forFeb contest in 2018. Bringing back the grip training. Right now, I will train grippers and pinch. Some wrist training thrown in.

There's no set goal in mind. If I get back up with hand grippers I may consider going for the #4. I do not care about breaking the Hub record.

My main focus right now is on a few books I will be writing soon. They are not grip related.

Here is a clip of a filed 160lb rated #3 

• Like 11

I don't know what this training log will contain. But I plan on keeping this one!

• Like 4

Howcome you're not interested in breaking the hub record? Nice close and welcome back!

7 hours ago, Lennix said:

Howcome you're not interested in breaking the hub record? Nice close and welcome back!

I have no desire to actually go for the ironmind hub world record. If it changes I'll consider going for it. Not even on my list of things to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acromegaman said:

You've always been a beast John.  Looking forward to what is to come.

Thanks Delmar.

• Like 1

10/08/2020 Grip session  (Everything is noted closed/lifted unless noted. All weights are in lbs) All grippers will be listed by their ratings unless noted.

Grippers)

Warm up

Unrated #2x5x4 right and left

Working

143x3 right and left

152x3 right and left

Filed 160x1 right...143x1 left

175x1 right (felt easy)...143x1 left

Flask 1H

30x2 right and left

54x1 right and left

90x1x1 right and left (felt good)

2 finger lift

90x5 

125x5

First time doing a training session. Feels strange and like I am picking up where I last left off. Tonight marks the first time that I've touched the Flask since King Kong,

Wish I had more grippers to attack. The highest rated gripper right now is a 175 #3.5, but that will change. Placed an order for a 180+ gripper and the Bumper from Matt.

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the 7 months of no interaction for this thread.

Getting back on board with Grippers. No clue where my max numbers fall at. Somedays gripper strength is 170+ and others is 150+.

Going to start up a new program and see where it goes from there.  Had the idea playing around in my head years ago but never did anything with it.

Going to attempt 3 days. Two with a grip machine. One with only hand grippers. The goal is to reach about 300lbs or heavier on a grip machine. For hand grippers, I want to get back up to the high 190's or 200+ lbs once more. Not achieving the goal of closing a #4 is pissing me off and something I would like to get, even if it's for a close that last for a second.

W1/D1 (Heavier attempts)

5/16/2021 

Warm up: #2x10x10 (Right and Left)

One Hand Grip Machine: 225x5x5x5 seconds (isometric holds) (Right/Left)

Heavy Isometric Grippers: GHP10x5x5x5 seconds (Right/Left)

TTK: 61x10x15x15 (Thumbs)...x15x15 (Index/Middle...Ring/Pinkie)

NOTE: Switched grip machine and hand gripper after each set

W1/D2 (Lighter to medium range attempts)

5/19/2021

Warm up: #2x5x5x5x5 reps (Right/Left)

One Hand Grip Machine: 180x5x5x5x2x2 reps (Right/Left) 

Secret Weapon Holds: 90x7x10x10x10x10x10x10 seconds  (right/left)

TTK: 25x20x20x20x20 reps (thumbs)...x20x20x20x20 (Index/middle...ring/pinkie)

NOTE: Was able to figure out that if you place one hand at the end of a grip machine and the bars are facing towards your body, it creates a force exactly how a secret weapon grip machine has on the hands. Don't even know why I did it, no clue if it will stay in the program or not but it won't hurt to give it a good chance before deciding if it stays or goes.

• Like 2

W1/D3 - 5/21/2021 (Hand gripper only workout) All weights are in lbs.

(If there is a "/" mentioned, the first number is for the right hand, left is second.)

Warm up - #2x2/2x2/2x3/2

Hand Gripper(s) - 143x2/1, 152x2/1, 169x2 (right hand), 172x2 (right hand)

Gripper Reps - #2x15/15, x15/15, x15/15, x15/15

Did some practice work for setting a hand gripper with a 210# rated number 4.

Notes: found old notes for a program I did, going to plug that into what I'm doing currently and see what comes from it. Will be following this for the next 31 weeks.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Going to start cycling grippers again. Re-tested myself with the little collection that I have on Monday and hit a rated 182 filed 3.5 for one single. Knew that my gripper strength is holding on, but I didn't expect it to be at that level. 

Going to use the same program I used for the IronMind Hub record.  Just a little note, if you see "/", it means which hand I'm attempting grippers or a pinch device with, which will always be the right followed by the left.

7/29/2021 workout, bodyweight is 258 lbs (lost 2lbs because of the heat we're having)

Hand Gripper: (@70%) 143 x3/3 x3/1 x3/0 x3/3 (switched to an unrated #2 for the left hand for the 3 reps)

Flask 1HP: (@70%) 60x3/3 x3/3 x3/3 x3/3

2 Finger Dumbbell lift: 60lbs x 5/5 (ring-pinkie/index-middle) x5/5 x5/5

• Like 5

Hello, mate!

Good job on the filed 3.5. It is amazing how much harder it gets beyond the range. Doesn't if feel comforting but awkward at the same time? 😄

I used to have a filed HG100 that I used for isometric training/overcrushes.

I noticed you are not telling the gripper brands but their ratings. Would be nice to know which ones you are actually using, since I like to visualize the closes 😀

Good luck with your training!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Klesen said:

Hello, mate!

Good job on the filed 3.5. It is amazing how much harder it gets beyond the range. Doesn't if feel comforting but awkward at the same time? 😄

I used to have a filed HG100 that I used for isometric training/overcrushes.

I noticed you are not telling the gripper brands but their ratings. Would be nice to know which ones you are actually using, since I like to visualize the closes 😀

Good luck with your training!

Thanks for the comment. Btr always felt easy for me.

Gripper used last night is a ghp 7. Most of what I have are coc grippers rated on the range I need them at.

Will post an update tomorrow.

Going to post my last two workouts. First one was really good, the other session for the 2nd, had to be one of the toughest I've done; mentally wasn't there for it but I'm still attempting to pull myself out of this burnout I've had. Last month has been taxing.

Also tested myself out on deadlift again, got 400lbs for my current max. Going to start training that lift once more and attempt to build up to lifting 500lbs.

EDIT: All gripper sets were done with a CCS placement in the palms. I didn't perform the card swipe, just wanted to work the end range and this made things a lot harder. Going to add this movement back into the mix.

7/31/2021...W1/D2

Grippers @ 80%

Right: 160 (#3) x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 

Left: 128 (#2.5) x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1

Pinch @ 80%

75x1/1 x 1/1 x 1/1 x 1/1 x 1/1

2 Finger Lift

69x 5/5 x 5/5 x 5/5 (5 count hold)

8/02/2021...W2/D1

Gripper @ 75%

Right: 152 (#3) x 2 x 3 x 3 x 3 (really good set)

Left: 128 (#2.5) x 2 x 3 x 3 x 3 (really bad set)

Pinch

TTK: 26lbs x 30

• Like 2

Feeling like crap today and my left thumb is acting up. Jammed it some months back. Don't know how it happened but it's been a pain and makes setting grippers really hard. Right hand was the only thing that I could train.

8/05/2021

Gripper: @85% (#3.5) x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Had to put off last week's training. Stomach is killing me and haven't been able to do anything. Going to rest up and see what happens this week.

• 4 weeks later...

Still training. Things have been crazy with my kid starting school. Yeah, that's pretty much it for right now.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Going to start this log back up. Life went in a bad direction for a while and things are now getting better. I'm going to start training once more. I'm focused on grippers at the moment and think I'll attempt some gripper certifications once more (GHP8, MM5-7) when I can build up. I want to get back up past my peak of 198 rgc and close the #4. Current max on grippers is a filed 182 lb #3.5 for a mms single.

Workouts are going to be simple. Grip 3 days a week. And maybe hip squats and deadlifts on the others. Also, going to focus on dropping weight.

Right now I'm building up and going for lighter assistance movements until I can progress along with my program.

8/28/2023 (everything is in pounds; rested 3-5 minutes between sets)

Bodyweight: 272 lbs

Warm up: (Adjustable gripper) 1-1x10ccs/6-6x10mms/#2x5x10

Working set: 152#3x2x3x3x3

Assistance work

TTK: 25.88x10x15x15
Reverse Curl: 69x7x8
Standing wrist curl: 69x20x20
Standing reverse wrist curl: 69x20

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Yes! Good to see you back. Great log name. 

Thanks. Need to take one day at a time.

And be ready for an order to be made later this week @Cannon.

• Like 2

Didn't get much sleep last night and couldn't breathe. First time in two years since I've deadlifted, nothing great upon my part but it was a struggle to get the weights up since my health isn't the best at the moment. Almost lost my breakfast and pass out. Not one of my better days but I wanted to attempt something.

8/29/2023 workout

Bodyweight @ 272 lbs

Deadlift: 136x5x10/188x2/227x2/278x2

Sprints: 7 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Almost lost my breakfast and pass out. Not one of my better days but I wanted to attempt something.

You did it though. Excellent job. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Didn't get much sleep last night and couldn't breathe. First time in two years since I've deadlifted, nothing great upon my part but it was a struggle to get the weights up since my health isn't the best at the moment. Almost lost my breakfast and pass out. Not one of my better days but I wanted to attempt something.

8/29/2023 workout

Bodyweight @ 272 lbs

Deadlift: 136x5x10/188x2/227x2/278x2

Sprints: 7 

Nice work man.. Great quote.

Those are words to live by...... Slim would be proud.

• Like 1