York round dumbbell questions

king crusher

I know a few people have a lot of knowledge on old York dumbbells and plates. 

Is there any info on how old the round head ones are? 

York on one globe and the weight stamped on the other. No knurling thin grip and a flat spot so the db does not roll around.

I found a pair and thought they were super cool. Only 35's though.

How rare/old?

I'm not sure exactly when they shifted over from Globes to Roundheads, but these dumbbells were made primarily in the 70s and 80s (pre-usa stamp) and the 90s and early 2000s (usa stamped on the bottom of YORK side). They were pretty common since they were in production for 3+ decades and many gyms still have them. They're not hard to find if you regularly check the normal places: Play it Again Sports, Craigslist, Marketplace, etc. The 95s and 100s are the hardest to find, but anything over 50 is less common. The 4s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, and 12s are really hard to find and go for several doll hairs on eBay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAVE101 said:

I'm not sure exactly when they shifted over from Globes to Roundheads, but these dumbbells were made primarily in the 70s and 80s (pre-usa stamp) and the 90s and early 2000s (usa stamped on the bottom of YORK side). They were pretty common since they were in production for 3+ decades and many gyms still have them. They're not hard to find if you regularly check the normal places: Play it Again Sports, Craigslist, Marketplace, etc. The 95s and 100s are the hardest to find, but anything over 50 is less common. The 4s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, and 12s are really hard to find and go for several doll hairs on eBay.

So these were maybe used by Arnold! Jk but same era. Why did they stamp made in the USA on newer ones? The older ones like in my pic must have been made in the USA.  Probably back then it was just a given where as now its advertised due to it being hard to find things made in America anymore. 

2 hours ago, king crusher said:

So these were maybe used by Arnold! Jk but same era. Why did they stamp made in the USA on newer ones? The older ones like in my pic must have been made in the USA.  Probably back then it was just a given where as now its advertised due to it being hard to find things made in America anymore. 

Yes, most of York's stuff was made in the US until the mid 2000s when they came out with the "Legacy" plates and dumbbells. Like you said, it was not a big deal for something to be USA made back then, but by the 90s when other companies started moving production overseas, they decided to start marketing that their stuff was still made in the US.

• Like 1