The Bumper

Cannon

It´s on for Order. Got my order confirmed 😉 with two more rated grippers.

• Like 1

Matt-

when you said 1-7 lbs of resistance I figured it fell between that as a standard. But the description on Cannon Power Works said it’s adjustable; you can make 1.5 lbs increments of resistance- respect!

• Like 1

Would a big gripper say 350-400 rating mess the rubber up?  

Just kidding! 😁

Edited by Roger Roberson
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, slazbob said:

Matt-

when you said 1-7 lbs of resistance I figured it fell between that as a standard. But the description on Cannon Power Works said it’s adjustable; you can make 1.5 lbs increments of resistance- respect!

Yeah the knob is technically infinitely variable. You can twist it as little or as much as you want for extremely slight changes. You have to keep track, though, because we don’t want you going over a certain number of FULL turns, but you don’t have to do full turns. If you’ve lost track, our recommendation is to restart at the initial fitting and turn again from there. 

Using our rating set up, we are able to see that once fitted properly for the starting position, each FULL turn adds about 1.5 lbs to the rating. And since the added resistance comes from the Bumper and nothing else, the added resistance is the same for any gripper, Guide or #4 or whatever. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, slazbob said:

Matt-

with BTR grippers, does the tighter close react the same to the Bumper? eg; you have the maximum recommended 4 full turns on it, but squeeze BTR? 

Yes. That should be fine. 

8 hours ago, Hopefully said:

But it will add even more resistence right? 

Slightly more, yes, at the end. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Got the bumper in mail two weeks ago. Initially. had tried it on easiest gripper to get the hang of it.  Used it on Fri during a work set..

Definitely a valuable tool. Recommend.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the bumper. Is the 6 lbs added the same for any gripper it is added to? The reason I ask is because I have tried it on both light and heavy grippers. I noticed on light grippers the springs are smaller and have much less surface area (like 100ish rgc) vs putting the bumper on a heavier gripper (150s rgc), which has a much larger spring and therefore more surface area contacting the bumper, getting more overall friction due to this increased surface area of a larger spring contacting the bumper. In my experience, adding the 4 full turns to a heavy gripper feels exponentially heavier as if it was much more than 6 lbs but maybe I am just imagining this and am curious to hear your thoughts on if the bumper's effect scales up based on the size of the spring it is used with 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 8:51 PM, C8Myotome said:

I have a question about the bumper. Is the 6 lbs added the same for any gripper it is added to? The reason I ask is because I have tried it on both light and heavy grippers. I noticed on light grippers the springs are smaller and have much less surface area (like 100ish rgc) vs putting the bumper on a heavier gripper (150s rgc), which has a much larger spring and therefore more surface area contacting the bumper, getting more overall friction due to this increased surface area of a larger spring contacting the bumper. In my experience, adding the 4 full turns to a heavy gripper feels exponentially heavier as if it was much more than 6 lbs but maybe I am just imagining this and am curious to hear your thoughts on if the bumper's effect scales up based on the size of the spring it is used with 

Since the added resistance is coming from the Bumper itself, the testing we did with our rating device showed roughly the same results in all cases. Starting with a proper initial fit, every full revolution of the knob will result in added resistance of about 1.5 lbs regardless of the gripper.  

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
On 9/17/2020 at 1:17 AM, Cannon said:

Correct, except not friction. 

When a spring moves, the inside of the coil deforms slightly. With The Bumper installed the deformation has to fight back against the rubber. Since the added resistance comes solely from the soft, natural rubber it’s impossible to harm the gripper. 🤗

We’re really excited to offer this. We feel it will be a huge addition to any gripper collection. 

Given that the added resistance comes from the rubber fighting the spring reducing it's diameter, would it be possible to use a different material with greater hardness than rubber (that also wouldn't harm the spring) to produce a higher RGC increment per turn? did you make such experiments with different materials when giving birth to The Bumper or did you just went straight to rubber because it felt more logical?

Edited by Scottex92
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 2:55 AM, Scottex92 said:

Given that the added resistance comes from the rubber fighting the spring reducing it's diameter, would it be possible to use a different material with greater hardness than rubber (that also wouldn't harm the spring) to produce a higher RGC increment per turn? did you make such experiments with different materials when giving birth to The Bumper or did you just went straight to rubber because it felt more logical?

We did not experiment with other materials. If you want to "bump" further at that point we do recommend getting another gripper. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cannon said:

We did not experiment with other materials. If you want to "bump" further at that point we do recommend getting another gripper. 

Oh I see. Maybe I'll do some experimenting myself but yeah, getting another gripper seems like the logical thing to do 👍