Sneaky Bender

Slippery Pete

I'm dropping the Red Nail cert for now. The Red nails that is out there right now are shifting from the easiest reds people have seen to the hardest they have encountered.

That's a real turn off for me. I don't want to cert on an easy one, and I dont think I'm able to bend a really hard red in IMPs.

Edited by Slippery Pete

What batch did it go from being easy to hard? I purchased mine from GOG in late August and don't know whether its the harder or easier batch.

Edited by bruce1337

1 hour ago, Slippery Pete said:

I'm dropping the Red Nail cert for now. The Red nails that is out there right now are shifting from the easiest reds people have seen to the hardest they have encountered.

That's a real turn off for me. I don't want to cert on an easy one, and I dont think I'm able to bend a really hard red in IMPs.

I can ensure you that the GBI stainless  I sent to you is harder than any red nail out there. So get them under cert conditions and you should be ready.

2 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

What batch did it go from being easy to hard? I purchased mine from GOG in late August and don't know whether its the harder or easier batch.

I have no idea.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

I can ensure you that the GBI stainless  I sent to you is harder than any red nail out there. So get them under cert conditions and you should be ready.

I might try getting the GBI 150kg bar a shot with IMPs. Think I'm not there yet however.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I have been trying alot of new bends, and failing alot. I mean almost every workout last two weeks has been 80% fail bends and 20% bends. The workouts are all over the place. Kinda frustrating.

1/11

8x138mm soft HRS - Single suede (I got this from the local armwrestling club. There was one guy at one point who did some bending.) 
170kg GBI-bar - Fail
Red Nail - Fail, Half of a pair of cordura
S355 8x180mm - double suede, fast bend. one and a half minute.
2 Reds taped together - Braced. Started this bend in a past workout. I barely kinked it then, and it only moved a little today. 
A2 bolt cut to 135mm - Got it to ends 100mm apart last session DO, now I braced bent it to 80mm and did a few DO-iso hits.

Thoughts
I felt powerless after the GBI-bar attempt. I really hate bending stainless steel 😅
There was no chance on the RED during those conditions. 
The kink and sweep on the S355 was surprisingly easy. But I got burned out and felt powerless on the crush.

• Like 1

Don’t let failed bends bother you. I fail bends all the time. You are getting stronger with each attempt and great strength is built with those “failed” bends. It is all part of your training process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Don’t let failed bends bother you. I fail bends all the time. You are getting stronger with each attempt and great strength is built with those “failed” bends. It is all part of your training process. 

Thanks Don. You are right. Its just that I excpect to much from myself alot of the time. Something I have to work on.  

5/11

I don't remember everything. but here is some of it.

9x185mm GBI-bar CRS - Brace bent it to 10cm apart, then I let it cool down a bit. Finished it unbraced. Took a while. Was pretty happy about that I had the crush strenght to do it.
Red nail - Half of a pair cordura. Got a kink. This will go down soon.

Iso on different bars.

Edited by Slippery Pete

8/11

7x170mm Spike
8x162mm HRS
8x180mm Rebar
- doubles, fast and easy.
150kg GBI-bar - doubles, took around four minutes. Forget to remove my elbow sleeves sadly.
160kg GBI-bar - doubles, about three and a half minute. This time, no elbow sleeves :D better bend then the 150kg attempt.

8mm A2 bolt cut to 135mm - Started cold at 8cm apart. Got it moving like 3mm the fírst hit. Second hit something happend to my right hand, nothing serious I think, but that was a sign that it was time to end the workout. 

• Like 3

14/11

3 pcs of 7x140mm spike - single suede
1 pcs of 8x143mm HRS - double suede, about a 40-50 sec bend.
1 pcs of 8x5.5'' A2 bolt - double suede
1 pcs of 8x177mm CRS HEX - Crush from 8cm apart I think. Pretty easy. Brace bent it to that point a few workouts ago. 

Thoughts
Good stuff! I'm really happy about the 5.5 inch cert. When I failed the A2 bolt at 6'' a few months back I thought that 5.5'' would be nearly impossible for me.
Turns out that was not at all the case. The last hit I got at this bolt, I felt so powerful.
I think It's being to optimistic to expect a 5'' cert anytime soon. But you never know.

My crush has gotten stronger, and my skin does not seem to tear as easily anymore. 
I still have a little pain in the palm of my right hand since last Sunday. But its not to bad. 

I have ordered 24 meters of 8mm 355 CRS. Hopefully I will get it this coming week. 

I'm exhausted form work, so I dont have the energy to train more than twice a week now. Might change, but we will see.

• Like 2

Powerful A2 cert! Looked super smooth on the kink and sweep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

Powerful A2 cert! Looked super smooth on the kink and sweep.

Thanks! I was also surprised of how easy the sweep was.

When are you gonna attempt a cut A2? :)

45 minutes ago, Slippery Pete said:

Thanks! I was also surprised of how easy the sweep was.

When are you gonna attempt a cut A2? :)

I could tell, your hard training is paying off. When will you attempt the 8.8 bolt?

My plan is to do it after the SGO comp in December. Right now my bending is limited to one pad and wraps touching so I focus more on wrist strength with the bending. It also allows the soft tissue in my hands to heal up a little bit because I have noticed that my thickbar and pinch get weaker as I progress with bending bigger bars.

Perhaps for new years I will attempt the A2 at 6.5"

28 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

I could tell, your hard training is paying off. When will you attempt the 8.8 bolt?

My plan is to do it after the SGO comp in December. Right now my bending is limited to one pad and wraps touching so I focus more on wrist strength with the bending. It also allows the soft tissue in my hands to heal up a little bit because I have noticed that my thickbar and pinch get weaker as I progress with bending bigger bars.

Perhaps for new years I will attempt the A2 at 6.5"

I think last time I tried it was in July or something. Nothing happened then, and maybe I could make a tiny dent in it now. But not much. I have some other easier 8.8 bolts that I might be able to do some damage to! I have kinked them in the past. Might try next DO-workout.

Ah, nice! Good luck on the competition. I would love to enter, but I suck at gripsport so thats in a distant future 😅

That's a great Idea. I think that 6.5'' will be no problem for you.

1 hour ago, Slippery Pete said:

I think last time I tried it was in July or something. Nothing happened then, and maybe I could make a tiny dent in it now. But not much. I have some other easier 8.8 bolts that I might be able to do some damage to! I have kinked them in the past. Might try next DO-workout.

Ah, nice! Good luck on the competition. I would love to enter, but I suck at gripsport so thats in a distant future 😅

That's a great Idea. I think that 6.5'' will be no problem for you.

Sounds like a good goal. You'll smoke the 8.8 its just a matter of time 👍

I also suck at gripsports but its fun to compete 😁 you should give it a try you never know how well you will do plus the comps free entry.

• Like 1

18/11

10x187mm HRS - Braced, fat pads. Fast and easy, about 1 min.
8x180mm 10.9 Horrido bolt - Braced, fat pads. Pretty easy. Less then 2 min I think.
8x180mm 12.9 Horrido bolt - Braced, fat pads. Hard bend. Felt very good at the start. But the last few millimeters are very tricky and difficult.

140kg GBI-bar (8x160mm CRS) - DO, in half of a pair cordura. Fail. I only got a tiny kind in it. Made two attempts. Did not get the best wraping.

Thoughts 
First time I tried the 12.9 bolt I was hitting it for over one hour. Got it off center and left it at 51mm apart. That killed me. Could not believe that I was not able to get that last mm down.
So happy that I manage to bend it complete this attempt. I'm also happy about being fast to enter the braced cert list. It will be intresting to see what people can do braced.
I expect that Cody will bend it at 6 or 6.5 inches when his bolts arrives.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 10:14 PM, bruce1337 said:

Congrats on the 12.9 cert!

Thank you Siamak!

22/11

8x180mm & 6x177mm HRS taped together - double suede. Hard bend. Took 10 min. Tried it once before, i think it was in spring. Then I did not ever kink it. Crush was hard on this combo.

After that I did a lot of fails/isos. Tried the black 8.8 bolt again. Nothing happend really. Still needs more time. Hopefully next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

3/12

8x180mm HRS - IMP
Red Nail - IMP
8x180 Square HRS - IMP "PR"

I have been feeling stressed out lately. Felt it this session. Very strange feeling in my mind and body

Pretty happy about the square HRS bend. That bar is much harder then the ones from DHWOG. 

9/12

Today I did a bunch of one IMP bends. Started with 5.5mm nail, then went for 6 and 7mm.
Then cert attempt on a 4.8bolt. Easy bend. BUT! Forgot my damn elbow sleeves so that didnt count, which made me go for the A4 bolt. That was a really fun bend for me. Loved it!

Did some reversed in single suede also. But could only get a tiny kink in the 4.8 bolt.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

There are alot of workouts that I have missed logging now lately. I might change that. 

To sum things up I have done:
* A2 in one IMP cert
* A2 10x180mm braced
* 8x133mm CRS from GBI DO
* Good attempt on 6'' 12.9 bolt braced
* Snapped a Red Nail and a 4.8 bolt
Kerckhaert Meister #5 with toe clip removed, slightly grinded edges.

Here are some goal bends for next year. Who knows what will happen. Maybe I get them all. Maybe none. But I'm gonna do my best for sure. 

1. Black 8.8 Horrido bolt DO cert
2. Red Nail cert
3. Red Nail in one IMP DO
4. Kerckhaert SSP #3 under 5 min.
5. 9mm CRS (190/200kg) GBI cert DO
6. 12mm HRS around 200mm long braced bend
7. 8mm CRS Hex DO
8. 8mm Swedish stainless DO
9. Kerckhaert Meister #5 under 5 min
10. S.B 8.8 Bolt DO
11. CS 8.8 Bolt DO

• Like 1

1/1

2pcs of 7x180mm nail taped together - DO Doubles, fail. Kinked it to about 20 degrees. Was a little surprised that I could not finnish them.
2pcs of 7x210mm nail taped together - DO Doubles
12.9 bolt 8mm at 6'' - Braced, finnished, was left at 75mm from a workout two weeks ago. 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thoughts
Besides what I wrote down I failed alot of bends today and felt pretty powerless in some sense.
Very happy about being able to complete the 12.9 bolt at 6''. Was a little bit scared to try it but once it started to move the first hit, I kinda knew it would happen.
But it was really hard to get going when it was cold.
I used leather crush pads on the bolt head side and a IMP on the other side folded into a crush pad. When wrapping the bolt head it does not spin. So I did not lose any power.
In a cert attempt this might be hard to pull off, since you would have to rewrap one side.

• Like 2

Fantastic bend with the 2x7mm nails!

I attempted it a couple times before and could not move it at all.