Sneaky Bender

Slippery Pete

Hey! 

Name is Anton. Sweden is my homeland. Somewhat north.

Soon to be thirty years old. Half tall, 83kg something.

Not very strong. Decent at making steel deform.

I'm trying to organize my training better, so I hope this log will help me on that point.

• Like 5

14/9 Horseshoe/ DO-bending

Kerckheart DF #3 - 8x22mm, No movement at all. First attempt on this shoe. *Doubles

Kerckheart SSP #3 - 8x22mm, No movement. Stuck at around 160 degrees from earlier workouts. *Doubles

Kerckheart Meister #5 - 8x22mm, Same as above, but at 110 degrees.*Doubles

Kerckheart Legend #1 - 7x16mm Very easy bend. *Single

GBI 150kg-bar (8x180mm SS) Finished two of these bars that was left at like 90-110 degrees from past workouts. *Single

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Following! Super cool to see your training progress

Thank you! Likewise, I have been following your log for some time now :)

16/9 Complementary 

Chins (Assisted)

Dumbbell rows
20kg*12
30kg*12,12

Fatbar curls 
25kg*10,10,10

Side lateral raise 
5kg*10,10,10

Tomorrow we bend!

Edited by Slippery Pete
  • Like 2

17/9 DO-Bending

GBI 180kg bar. Felt good at the beginning of it. But the sweep was to much for me. Worked on the bar for about half an hour. 105mm between the ends of the bar.

After that I did some more isometric work with other bars at sweep/crush phase.
______________________________________________________________________________________

19/9 

Grippers, wrists, Stacker lifts.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Thoughts
I have not done any regular gripper work in two years. I think I'm gonna pick it up again, but only once a week. Closed CoC#2.5 136 RGC with my left and did reps on GHP4 and 5.
I made a Stacker last week, tried it today for the first time and it was pretty fun. I dont know the measurements on the IM stacker. So I did it like I felt would be best.
Heaviest lift on it was 7,5kg for reps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slippery Pete said:

After that I did some more isometric work with other bars at sweep/crush phase.

Do you have any advice for getting a stronger crush? For now all im doing is gripper chest crushes and I have just recently (today) started doing isometric crushes on a bar that I failed to crush. My goal is to keep training my crush on it until it finally moves.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Do you have any advice for getting a stronger crush? For now all im doing is gripper chest crushes and I have just recently (today) started doing isometric crushes on a bar that I failed to crush. My goal is to keep training my crush on it until it finally moves.

I haven't been doing so well with the chest crush. I relied on the gripper crush. I have kinda big hands and long fingers, so I would gripper crush when ends were still very wide apart. Thats not gonna work with hard bars.
So now I focus alot on getting better technique in the chest crush. And after all session I do, my chest is always fried.

I think for guys like you and me, its very good to bend, but there is also power that is lacking. I would guess that if I got my bench up 40kg I would be alot better at DO-bending.

Ideal would be to bend 5-10 bars a session that would be challenging in the crush phase, and now and then do isometric work. But for me I dont really have the money, or I might be to cheap to bend alot of bars.

• Like 1

21/9 DO-Bending

7x160mm Spike
8x165mm HRS
A2 bolt 6 inch cert attempt

180kg GBI-bar Finished this bar that I started last session. I bet was working on it for about 45 minutes. My hands are sore now.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Thoughts
This was a very good session for me. I have failed the A2 bolt at 6 inch about 2-3 times before this attempt. 
I have never felt so good about crushing with my fingers interlocked as this workout.

Feeling very happy and proud now.

20200921_223204.jpg

• Like 5

23/9 Complementary 

Chins (Assisted)
5,5,5,8,6,8 = 37

50 mm Dumbbell rows
20kg*10
30kg*8
35kg*6

Picked up some steel from Horrido today that I'm gonna try out tomorrow! 

• Like 1

24/9 Horseshoe/ Braced bending

Kerckheart SX7 #2 - Only got a little kink on it. Was very surprised by this. Gave it all I had but almost past out. I thought that I bend it quite easy considering how close I am to finishing a SSP #3. 

8x180 12.9 bolt - Braced, got it to 51mm between the ends of the bar. Worked on it for about an hour. I could not believe that I had to give up. But no matter of how pushed it would just bounce back.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

27/9 DO-bending

7x160mm Spike, IMP
7x177mm CRS, IMP

8x180mm 8.8 bolt, doubles - only a little kink
8x177mm CRS Hex, doubles - only a little kink
140kg GBI-bar (8x160mm soft CRS) IMP, no rubber band - Easy bend. 15-25s 
8x177mm CRS, IMP, no rubber band - Got a little kink, but tore skin on my fingers. 
Red Nail kinked from earlier workout, IMP - Put tape on my fingers, but I could not do it.
8x180 SB 8.8 bolt, kinked from earlier workout, doubles - Nothing

Thoughts 
Neither a good or a bad bending session. I got some new steel I wanted to try out. Tough bars for me. But they will go down. 

One good thing was the easy 140kg bar bend with IMP without rubber bands. I have only tried bending without bands a couple of times, and frankly I think its stupid.
I even think cordura pads is dumb as it is. I often tare my skin when bending in IMP, and that I do not like to much.

Now my the skin on my hands and fingers are in pretty bad shape. The last three workouts or so has been hard on the skin. 
My left elbow is golfing. Feeling worse then usually.

• Like 1

1/10 Complementary

Benchpress, Feet up
40kg*10,10
50kg*10
60kg*10
65kg*10
70kg*6,6

Thoughts
These past 2-3 weeks I have been feeling like I'm gonna get sick. Not happening tough, but I'm feeling worn and exhausted. Some days more then others.

Long time ago I did any benchpress. Felt pretty good considering. I would like to get my feet up bench to 100kg. That would be nice. Guessing that I would manage 85-90kg atm

Elbow is still hurting. But its nothing extreme.

Edited by Slippery Pete
  • Like 1

4/10 DO-bending

7x170mm spike - single suede
8x177mm 235CRS - single suede 
A4 bolt cut down to 145mm - single suede, started earier session. Finished without a problem
A2 bolt cut down to 141mm - Fail, got it to 85mm apart. Good attempt. 

+ Isometric work on kink and cruch phase
+ Chins 2*8 assisted.

Thoughts
Nice workout. I tried out the 235 CRS for the first time with single suede (had only tried with IMP before) and it felt pretty good. Took maybe 1.30 min.
Felt a bit harder then a typical red nail. 

I surprised myself when I finished the short A4 bolt, and came close to bend the A2 at 5.5 inches. My goal now is to cert at 5.5 inches by the end of the year.

• Like 3

9/10 DO-bending

7x180mm spike - single suede
8x165mm HRS - single suede
8x180mm Rebar - double suede
8x170mm Rebar - double suede
Red Nail cut to 160mm - double suede 

Thoughts
Weird session. Felt strong, but I bent all bars off center. And the red nail was crazy off center. Never thought that I would finish it. Had to work on it for around 20 min or more.
First time trying out rebar. I was thinking that it would behave like HRS, but that was not the case. Atleast not for this rebar. The 8x170mm rebar was for sure a harder bend then a red nail. 
This was my first Red Nail at 160mm
Pain in elbows and thumb pad. Nothing extreme, but I would perform better with less pain.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Slippery Pete said:

9/10 DO-bending

7x180mm spike - single suede
8x165mm HRS - single suede
8x180mm Rebar - double suede
8x170mm Rebar - double suede
Red Nail cut to 160mm - double suede 

Thoughts
Weird session. Felt strong, but I bent all bars off center. And the red nail was crazy off center. Never thought that I would finish it. Had to work on it for around 20 min or more.
First time trying out rebar. I was thinking that it would behave like HRS, but that was not the case. Atleast not for this rebar. The 8x170mm rebar was for sure a harder bend then a red nail. 
This was my first Red Nail at 160mm
Pain in elbows and thumb pad. Nothing extreme, but I would perform better with less pain.

Glad to see you bend some rebar! I was also surprised at how springy it was. The fact that its so cheap makes it my new favourite steel to bend 😄

• Like 1

That’s a very interesting analysis.

You’re saying that the rebar at 170mm was harder than the red at 160mm?

I’ve braced bent rebar at 12mm and 16mm that were hard and springy as hell. Never knew how they compared to CRS since I’ve never bent CRS at thise thicknesses.

I though rebar wasn’t supposed to be too hard since it increases the risk of it snapping and thus not good to use for reinforcing concrete.

However it would fit with swedish steel usually being harder. All the hardest steel I’ve ever encountered have been swedish. Hardest HRS, CRS, and stainless were all swedish. Weakest I’ve tried was from southern europe and the UK.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

That’s a very interesting analysis.

You’re saying that the rebar at 170mm was harder than the red at 160mm?

I’ve braced bent rebar at 12mm and 16mm that were hard and springy as hell. Never knew how they compared to CRS since I’ve never bent CRS at thise thicknesses.

I though rebar wasn’t supposed to be too hard since it increases the risk of it snapping and thus not good to use for reinforcing concrete.

However it would fit with swedish steel usually being harder. All the hardest steel I’ve ever encountered have been swedish. Hardest HRS, CRS, and stainless were all swedish. Weakest I’ve tried was from southern europe and the UK.

No, the Red at 160mm was harder. I compared the 170mm rebar to a Red Nail in its original state, 177mm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slippery Pete said:

No, the Red at 160mm was harder. I compared the 170mm rebar to a Red Nail in its original state, 177mm.

So rebar at 177mm would be a little easier than a rednail (perhaps grade 8 bolt?)

12/10 DO-bending

7x180mm spike - IMP, no rubber band
8x177mm HRS - IMP, no rubber band
Red Nail - IMP, around 30 sec.
Red Nail - IMP, no rubber band, around 40 sec.
A2 Bolt cut to 5.5 inches - Was at 85mm, finished today.

Thoughts
I'm so happy about this workout. I'm getting better every session now it feels like.
I did not cut my fingers today worth mentioning, which feels really good.

I wouldn't say the red nail bends were super easy, but I felt that it was no way that I wouldn't make it.
Really surprised that I got the 5.5 inch A2. 

Edited by Slippery Pete
  • Like 1

15/10 DO-bending

7x180mm spike - IMP, no rubber band
8x180mm HRS - IMP, no rubber band

Red Nail - IMP, no rubber band
8x180mm Rebar - IMP, no rubber band
8x177mm S355J2 - Double suede PR!

+ Chins

Thoughts
Very good session. The Red nail felt easy. Only concern is that the bar is not visible when I unwrap it. But I can always make a  new video.

More importantly! I manage to bend the 8x177mm S355J2. Very hard kink on that steel, even with doubles. Not sure how long it took. About 4-7 min.

I almost fell when I did the red nail. Much adrenaline. Looks pretty funny 😅

Edited by Slippery Pete
  • Like 3