Gripper training questions

Nuttgens

1 hour ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

7seconds is good. Oddly enough its my best result on the 2.5. My theory is for those of us who have no issue with set strength we may get better carryover with the SB as opposed to doing full gripper closes. It's the last few mm on gripper closes that get me. That said I realize I could be singing a different tune if I were at Nuttgens level and had to try to set a hard 3.5. Setting strength with the crazy rgc level grippers might feel like a whole new world lol. 

Those are still great results with the BB. I do occasionally go to a gym that has the old model BB and it feels different than the newer model. No clue what's harder to grip with. I'm tempted to try them both in the same workout and see if there is much variation. 

I think your 2.5 is stronger than mine, mine is RGC 126lbs. Saying that i was not fresh when i tried, it was the day after a heavy wrist workout and warming up i couldnt even close my coc 2 lol. 

Ill have to have another go, the Sb hold made me pretty sore for days. Now i try and keep stuff from making me sore. 

Ive not tried a newer one to compare. Over here i donly know 2 other gripsters and they dont have one. Its so niche here so im lucky that i live near them. Anyway i dont want to keep spaming nuttgens workout log with grip talk 🤣

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I think your 2.5 is stronger than mine, mine is RGC 126lbs. Saying that i was not fresh when i tried, it was the day after a heavy wrist workout and warming up i couldnt even close my coc 2 lol. 

Ill have to have another go, the Sb hold made me pretty sore for days. Now i try and keep stuff from making me sore. 

Ive not tried a newer one to compare. Over here i donly know 2 other gripsters and they dont have one. Its so niche here so im lucky that i live near them. Anyway i dont want to keep spaming nuttgens workout log with grip talk 🤣

Haha no worries guys it was a good read. 
after giving that a read I think I’m gonna start practicing sets with my 3.5 see if maybe I can get to the point where I can hang on to a silver bullet for a few seconds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Haha no worries guys it was a good read. 
after giving that a read I think I’m gonna start practicing sets with my 3.5 see if maybe I can get to the point where I can hang on to a silver bullet for a few seconds.

You should for sure. You will have the strength to hold it somewhat its just learning the technique. Hit up Thom Lennix fingalsson on here or instagram. He has excellent advice and a video on Sb holds. He is a 3.5 closer who does long hold with the coc 4. 

I dont have an actual Silver bullet from ironmind so i use a gripper with a strap and plate. Unless you compete dont waste your money. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

You should for sure. You will have the strength to hold it somewhat its just learning the technique. Hit up Thom Lennix fingalsson on here or instagram. He has excellent advice and a video on Sb holds. He is a 3.5 closer who does long hold with the coc 4. 

I dont have an actual Silver bullet from ironmind so i use a gripper with a strap and plate. Unless you compete dont waste your money. 

I'll second that and say that video by Lennix has helped a great deal. I believe Clay Edgin has a good SB video on youtube also. 

I agree about SB and competing. I'm not sure if a gripster would get much carryover to full closes by using the SB. I will say I do appreciate the spirit of the exercise in that folks with smaller hands at least have a decent shot at getting a respectable number at a comp. 

• Like 2

Today’s training 

hg300 mms 9 reps right 3 reps left 

ghp7 block set 3 reps right almost a 4th and failed mms left handed 

coc 3 ccs 1 rep right easiest one yet hg300 2 reps left

cobalt mms 1 rep right hg300 3 reps left 

ghp8 mms failed right hg300 2 reps left 

ghp7 mms 4 reps right coc 2.5 9 reps left 

Hg300 mms 10 reps right coc 2.5 8 reps left 

coc 2.5 26 reps right 8 reps left 

• Like 6

More today 

slingshot bench 4 sets 5 reps 265lbs

DB row 4 sets 12 reps 95lbs

swiss bar OHP 3 sets 8 reps 100lbs

wide grip pull ups 3 sets 7 reps 35lbs

EZ bar curls 3 sets 10 reps 95lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 12 reps 120lbs

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 3:18 PM, Bigfoot Grip said:

I'll second that and say that video by Lennix has helped a great deal. I believe Clay Edgin has a good SB video on youtube also. 

I agree about SB and competing. I'm not sure if a gripster would get much carryover to full closes by using the SB. I will say I do appreciate the spirit of the exercise in that folks with smaller hands at least have a decent shot at getting a respectable number at a comp. 

can you send me the video on setting silver bullet tried it again with my 3.5 and couldn’t get it 

Today’s training 

squat 4 sets 5 reps 315lbs

deficit deadlift 3 sets 6 reps 365lbs

GHR 3 sets 12 reps 

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

fat gripz deadlift 3 sets 6 reps 245lbs

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Nice to see your progress!! Are you always in a caloric surplus while training for the 3# cert?

I dunno probably. I have been gaining weight the last few months probably gonna stay where I am at now though. I think I’m sitting at about 190lbs now. 

• Like 1

Today’s training 

OHP 3 sets 8 reps 120lbs

banded Swiss bar bench 4 sets 8 reps 175lbs

thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 10 reps 85lbs

skull crushers 3 sets 10 reps 87.5lbs

cable flies 3 sets 10 reps 85lbs

DB curls 3 sets 10 reps 40lbs

block buster pinch block 3 sets 6 reps 45lbs+ block and pin 

• Like 4

I looked at your last gripper workout.  Wow.  Improving fast.  You are totally ready for the MM1.  Or maybe you know that and just don't feel like doing it.  GHP 7 also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I looked at your last gripper workout.  Wow.  Improving fast.  You are totally ready for the MM1.  Or maybe you know that and just don't feel like doing it.  GHP 7 also.

Yeah I have been thinking about going for mm1. Just worried how much shipping back and forth from Canada is going to run me.

With the ghp every time I think I should go for it I always think well maybe I should wait till I can do one more rep I’m so close to doing one more rep haha. Soon it’ll be why dont I wait till I can close my 8 or my 8 for 2 reps feels like I am never where I want to be. 

Edited by Nuttgens
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Yeah I have been thinking about going for mm1. Just worried how much shipping back and forth from Canada is going to run me.

With the ghp every time I think I should go for it I always think well maybe I should wait till I can do one more rep I’m so close to doing one more rep haha. Soon it’ll be why dont I wait till I can close my 8 or my 8 for 2 reps feels like I am never where I want to be. 

Just get on the board with GHP, it's a vid cert, you can always do it again.   I got on the GHP board with one rep.  I actually did two singles not that far apart, should have gone for two reps.  Might do that soon but I can't find the little measuring doodad.

Not sure shipping MM1 will be that crazy.  I think Cannon just charges the actual cost, and I think he's in Minnesota.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Just get on the board with GHP, it's a vid cert, you can always do it again.   I got on the GHP board with one rep.  I actually did two singles not that far apart, should have gone for two reps.  Might do that soon but I can't find the little measuring doodad.

Not sure shipping MM1 will be that crazy.  I think Cannon just charges the actual cost, and I think he's in Minnesota.  

Alright I think you talked me into it. Time to get my name on to some of these lists. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Alright I think you talked me into it. Time to get my name on to some of these lists. 

Now you guys have indirectly talked me into doing the GHP Cert as well. Going to try it in approx two weeks. It will be good filming practice for the MM1 at least.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rphilton said:

Now you guys have indirectly talked me into doing the GHP Cert as well. Going to try it in approx two weeks. It will be good filming practice for the MM1 at least.

Nice. You got it.I just picked up a “little measuring doodad” for the ghp7 cert.

• Like 2

Today’s training 

deadlift 2 sets 5 reps 410lbs 2 sets 5 reps 390lbs

SSB squat 3 sets 8 reps 260lbs

DB split squat 3 sets 17 reps 45lbs

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

Little big horn 140lbs + handle and pin 5 reps, 3 reps, 4 reps 

Did some silver bullet holds and was finally able to hang on to my 3.5 thanks to a video made by @Lennix. He is a beast and does long silver bullet holds with a coc 4. It wasn’t long but it was the first time I even got a grip on it.

managed 6 seconds with my 3.5 and 23 seconds with my 3 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training 

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

Did some silver bullet holds and was finally able to hang on to my 3.5 thanks to a video made by @Lennix. He is a beast and does long silver bullet holds with a coc 4. It wasn’t long but it was the first time I even got a grip on it.

Strong hold! Your doing the same time with #4 in no time! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Strong hold! Your doing the same time with #4 in no time! 

Thanks. Almost sounds like an excuse to go out and buy another gripper. This 3.5 is the hardest one I own right now.

Honestly though I could even imagine what a 4 even feels like must be like trying to crush a brick.

But I guess a year ago I thought my 3 felt like crushing a brick so maybe one day. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Thanks. Almost sounds like an excuse to go out and buy another gripper. This 3.5 is the hardest one I own right now.

Honestly though I could even imagine what a 4 even feels like must be like trying to crush a brick.

But I guess a year ago I thought my 3 felt like crushing a brick so maybe one day. 

It does feel like a brick and it took med a few sessions before getting time on it but when you get used to it the time starts ticking up! 

Also having a #4 for people to try is awesome:D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training 

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

Brilliant! I knew you had the strength and just needed the technique. Thom really knows his stuff. 

6 secs is a great start. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today’s training

3 second paused bench 4 sets 7 reps 210lbs

wide grip row 4 sets 12 reps 180lbs

chin ups 3 sets 7 reps 57.5lbs

DB preacher curls 3 sets 10 reps 40lbs

face pulls 3 sets 12 reps 155lbs

rolling thunder 3 sets 6 reps 140lbs + handle and pin 1 rep with 145lbs 1 rep with 150 and 1 rep with 152.5 + handle and pin.

PR for me on the rolling thunder. This thing is tough to add weight to.

• Like 3

On 10/2/2021 at 12:32 PM, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training

3 second paused bench 4 sets 7 reps 210lbs

wide grip row 4 sets 12 reps 180lbs

chin ups 3 sets 7 reps 57.5lbs

DB preacher curls 3 sets 10 reps 40lbs

face pulls 3 sets 12 reps 155lbs

rolling thunder 3 sets 6 reps 140lbs + handle and pin 1 rep with 145lbs 1 rep with 150 and 1 rep with 152.5 + handle and pin.

PR for me on the rolling thunder. This thing is tough to add weight to.

Really strong on everything bro. Those 3ct bench in my experience have really good carryover to comp bench. 

The RT is brutal in that regard. I just had a solid training cycle, tested my 1RM and added +2lbs to my all time PR haha. I have come across the old models and they can't compare to the brand new models, it's night and day. 

Amazing SB results, sounds like you might have to fish around for a weak coc 4 someday. Kind of a good problem to have lol. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Really strong on everything bro. Those 3ct bench in my experience have really good carryover to comp bench. 

The RT is brutal in that regard. I just had a solid training cycle, tested my 1RM and added +2lbs to my all time PR haha. I have come across the old models and they can't compare to the brand new models, it's night and day. 

Amazing SB results, sounds like you might have to fish around for a weak coc 4 someday. Kind of a good problem to have lol. 

Thanks man. 

I can’t believe what it takes to add a Couple pounds to the rolling thunder. And I can’t believe all the people that can pull close to or over 200lbs on it it seems impossible.

haha yeah anytime you have to buy a harder gripper it’s a good problem to have l.

• Like 1