Gripper training questions

yep a few drops of wd40 is fine -

Your doing amazing - that credit card set with the 2.5 is very impressive. I would recommend you order a couple RGC rated grippers between the 2.5 and 3 and that should give you a better idea of where your at. But at 6 reps on the 2.5 I would say your closing in on the 145lb rgc or a weak #3 in short order.

I"m hoping that I am only about 5-6 month behind you.

Hopefully
7 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Thanks man I hope so. I think I’ll Start working in a bit more work with the #3 I wish there was a smaller step from the 2.5 to the three.

What would you use to lubricate it. I have some 3 in 1 or wd40 or liquid wrench in the garage any of those good enough?

Use the 3 in 1. I'm not sure about liquid wrench but 3 in 1 is great. Wd40 is not a lubricant from what people say. 

Also take some compressed air and blow out dirt from the spring. 

You'll probably up the reps by 2-5

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Nuttgens
8 hours ago, eman said:

yep a few drops of wd40 is fine -

Your doing amazing - that credit card set with the 2.5 is very impressive. I would recommend you order a couple RGC rated grippers between the 2.5 and 3 and that should give you a better idea of where your at. But at 6 reps on the 2.5 I would say your closing in on the 145lb rgc or a weak #3 in short order.

I"m hoping that I am only about 5-6 month behind you.

Thanks 

Yeah I wish I knew about RGC ratings when I got mine would like to know what they are at but don’t want to ship them out and back now.
Where are you at right now I’m closing grippers?

Nuttgens

Today’s training log

front squat

155lbs 4 sets 8 reps

deadlift 

305lb 1 set 10 reps

305lb 3 sets 8 reps

glute ham raises

3 sets 5 reps

Dumbbell lunges 
50lb dumbbells 3 sets 12 reps 

ab wheel

3 sets of 15 reps

Today’s video first deadlift set.

• Like 3
Nuttgens

Today’s training didn’t go good. I think after my attempt in my coc #3 my hand was just fried and couldn’t handle much more.

warm ups 

#1-10

#1.5-10

#2-5

work sets

right #2.5-8 reps Left #2.5-2 reps

right #3 maybe closed it half way left #2.5-3 reps

Right #2.5-3 reps left #2.5 forced closed
Right #2.5-5 reps left #2.5-1 rep

right #2-14 reps left #2-8 reps

inverted 

Right #2-4 reps left #2-5 reps

Right #1.5-25 reps left #1.5-25 reps

right #1.5- 25 reps left #1.5- 30 reps

right #1.5- 25 reps left #1.4- 25 reps

Video is my attempt at #3. I barely get the thing to move.

• Like 2
Stephen Anderson
23 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training didn’t go good. I think after my attempt in my coc #3 my hand was just fried and couldn’t handle much more.

warm ups 

#1-10

#1.5-10

#2-5

work sets

right #2.5-8 reps Left #2.5-2 reps

right #3 maybe closed it half way left #2.5-3 reps

Right #2.5-3 reps left #2.5 forced closed
Right #2.5-5 reps left #2.5-1 rep

right #2-14 reps left #2-8 reps

inverted 

Right #2-4 reps left #2-5 reps

Right #1.5-25 reps left #1.5-25 reps

right #1.5- 25 reps left #1.5- 30 reps

right #1.5- 25 reps left #1.4- 25 reps

Video is my attempt at #3. I barely get the thing to move.

If you fixed that set up you could probably close it. 

• Like 2

Good work man. Look up on youtube ‘setting hand grippers” and you’ll see what I was talking about, preferably by Jedd Johnson, Paul Knight or Nathan Holle. You need to practice setting the gripper, no way around it. The handle in your palm is too far back in your hand right now. 

Hopefully

For ccs your technique is excellent in my opinion. If you just want to close it you would be able to right now with a mms set as the other guys said. 

But if you can have the handle more forward for ccs you should of course. It is far back but perhaps you cant have it more forward due to hand size. But if you can do it. 

Practice it and mix in some mms with ccs. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1

Yea I agree with Hopefully. It comes down to what standards you set yourself for closing it. If you just want those handles to click together no matter how, practice setting. If CCS then your on the right track. I think from a MMS you could close it already 👍

• Like 1
Nuttgens
3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

For ccs your technique is excellent in my opinion. If you just want to close it you would be able to right now with a mms set as the other guys said. 

But if you can have the handle more forward for ccs you should of course. It is far back but perhaps you cant have it more forward due to hand size. But if you can do it. 

Practice it and mix in some mms with ccs. 

1 hour ago, AvgJo said:

Yea I agree with Hopefully. It comes down to what standards you set yourself for closing it. If you just want those handles to click together no matter how, practice setting. If CCS then your on the right track. I think from a MMS you could close it already 👍

Well for now I’ll keep working on a ccs set the 3 still feels awkward and hard and my set could probably be better. But if I seem to be getting no where maybe I’ll start playing around with some parallel sets and work on just getting the handles to touch.

Nuttgens
9 hours ago, Stephen Anderson said:

If you fixed that set up you could probably close it. 

Yeah I think I am gonna have to work on getting my set better now that I am working with the #3. It’s crazy how much harder the 3 is to close then any other goal gripper up to now.

Are you suggesting a tighter set like parallel or just a better set up ccs?

• Like 1

Just ask yourself what you think will give you that sense of owning the #3 close. If you are not sure, you could always train parallel sets until you get a close then widen it from there to 30-40mm block set or even ccs if you want to push yourself more. Over all, I think there is a lot to gain from working deep sets (parallel and narrower) especially with hard grippers, as that is the range the spring is the hardest - hence why choked grippers is a thing. 

• Like 1
Hopefully

@Nuttgens

I think as before that you should just continue what you are doing untill you feel that you hit a Wall. You have made great progress and given the #3 like what? 2 squeezes and have trained for a few months? And you can already take it to about 10mm. There’s nothing to speculate about yet. 

Make an attempt on it giving everything every other workout or something, when you feel that you cant get any further start up some heavy mms closes. 

• Like 1
Nuttgens
3 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

@Nuttgens

I think as before that you should just continue what you are doing untill you feel that you hit a Wall. You have made great progress and given the #3 like what? 2 squeezes and have trained for a few months? And you can already take it to about 10mm. There’s nothing to speculate about yet. 

Make an attempt on it giving everything every other workout or something, when you feel that you cant get any further start up some heavy mms closes. 

Yeah. Thanks man I like the sounds of that my big goal right now is a ccs close of my #3 I haven’t plateaued yet I’ll keep working at it and if I feel I need an easier goal for a bit maybe starting working on parallel sets just to get It closed. 

Haha yeah that was only the second time I have every squeezed it. Maybe after a dozen squeezes getting no where I will re evaluate.

Hopefully
24 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Yeah. Thanks man I like the sounds of that my big goal right now is a ccs close of my #3 I haven’t plateaued yet I’ll keep working at it and if I feel I need an easier goal for a bit maybe starting working on parallel sets just to get It closed. 

Haha yeah that was only the second time I have every squeezed it. Maybe after a dozen squeezes getting no where I will re evaluate.

Yeah 👍 and later on when you mix in some mms of #3.5 and stuff your ccs strength will skyrocket even further. There’s good carry over between the two. 

• Like 1

What’s your height and weight just out of curiosity?

Nuttgens
3 hours ago, AvgJo said:

What’s your height and weight just out of curiosity?

6’ tall 185 lbs

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

6’ tall 185 lbs

Any reason you lost 20lb or so? I’m 6’ and 205lb right now which is you without the weight loss lol.

Nuttgens
3 hours ago, AvgJo said:

Any reason you lost 20lb or so? I’m 6’ and 205lb right now which is you without the weight loss lol.

I dunno gyms were closed and I was working up in dawson creek B.C. from March - May so it was still pretty cold and crappy. Living in a camper trailer with two other guys to save money and I just didn’t eat very much or really worry about what I was eating since I wasn’t doing any strength training and I was kinda being lazy. Cooking in a little trailer you share with two other guys is a bit of a pain. Now I’m up in ft McKay Alberta in a work camp where food is all cooked for you and free so I’m sure I’ll be putting in weight and probably end up close to where I was before I’m usually bouncing around between 195-205. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

I dunno gyms were closed and I was working up in dawson creek B.C. from March - May so it was still pretty cold and crappy. Living in a camper trailer with two other guys to save money and I just didn’t eat very much or really worry about what I was eating since I wasn’t doing any strength training and I was kinda being lazy. Cooking in a little trailer you share with two other guys is a bit of a pain. Now I’m up in ft McKay Alberta in a work camp where food is all cooked for you and free so I’m sure I’ll be putting in weight and probably end up close to where I was before I’m usually bouncing around between 195-205. 

Yep, same as me 195-205lb usually. Although right now I'm making an effort to gain a bit, winter is coming soon too.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

Today’s training

warm up 

coc #1 10 reps

coc #1.5 10 reps

coc #2 5 reps 

work sets

coc #2.5 8 reps right 4 reps left

coc #2.5 9 reps right 2 reps left 

coc #2.5 9 reps right 4 reps left 

coc #2.5 3 reps right 2 reps left