Gripper training questions

Nuttgens

Today’s training 

did a mach meet 

I am 6’ tall I weighed in at 6:00pm yesterday at 190.4lbs again this morning at 5:30 before work 188.7lbs and right before this workout at 190.0lbs

squat 265lbs, 275lbs, 285lbs

bench press 275lbs, 280lbs, 285lbs

deadlift 475lbs, 485lbs, failed 495lbs 

looking back at the failed deadlift now I think I quit way too soon didn’t even try it looks like. 

here are videos looking for some pointers from @Bigfoot Grip and @DerekPalmeri

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Strong mock meet dude! Knocking on the doorstep of a 405 squat and a 300 bench. Sucks about the 495 miss but I think you'll build character and hunger and go get after it in the future. I agree with Derek about pulling the slack out of the bar. Another way to think of it is "pulling yourself into the bar". TBH you may even have 5 bills in you with a more refined technique on deadlift. When I competed 455-495lbs would break the ground like a pause deadlift I'd create so much tension in the bottom position. For a referance I'd guess my max then was 630? These numbers aren't meant to brag but give you an idea of just how explosive you can get off the floor with tension. 

We seem to be built very similar I'm just fatter lol. 6ft, longer limbs, high hip position in deadlifts and strongest in the conventional stance as opposed to sumo. After years of competing I'm convinced just go with it. Don't get me wrong improve technique, but I tried setting the hips lower and switching to sumo etc. higher hip conventional was always the strongest. The beauty of pulling the slack out of the bar is it automatically sets your hips in a natural position. However on max effort attempts you see guys like us hips rise early due to our biomechanics and muscular imbalances/weaknesses. How you can work on this is using training percentages which allow for more optimal technique. For example I'll only squat heavy enough until I feel my hips shooting back early and chest collapsing etc One of my buddies here in Calgary pulls almost 700lb conventional basically SLDL LOL! Similar build as us gorilla type, long arms, big back narrow hips. He tried it all, we used to be on a quality powerlifting team in Calgary. He squats 415 for 4 sets of 15 reps these days but yet still he always beast modes the more SLDL style of deadlift. Maybe this is the pragmatist in me showing 😁 Time for you to have a 🍺 and celebrate!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DerekPalmeri said:

@Nuttgens It looks like you know what you're doing on squats. I can't tell because of angle if it's high bar or low bar but your back angle is hinting high bar. I am not sure if your audio is off sync but I was having a hard time listening to your breathing to tell when your breathing & bracing cues were so for now I am just gonna assume you know what you're doing on that since your 385 looked pretty good. I don't know how you squat in long dress pants lol that looks so uncomfortable, you are definitely getting full ROM on your dorsiflexion and getting yourself into a great position to fire out of. Great job.

Your bench form is pretty good already, but I can see some areas for improvement. I can't hear your inhale on any of your bench videos (only exhales) - I believe that I should be able to audibly hear you inhaling to know you're getting air to brace hard for bench also just like you would squats & deads. I know it's easy to be lazy & not do it because your entire body isn't really supporting the weight like squats & deads, but the reason why you should be doing it anyways is to oxygenate your blood as much as you can before a big lift - even though a 1RM uses primariliy anareobic IIX (fast twitch) fibers, then IIA (fast twitch anareobic/aerobic combo) fibers, then type 1 (slow twitch aerobic) fibers, your body is going to recruite all of them at once for a max effort lift. It is also imporant to dissipate as much of the CO2 out of your blood through your lungs as you can before a 1RM as well - a good breathing pattern is to briefly hyperventilate (short shallow breaths) then take 1 huge air.  I'm going off on a tangent, but another reason for placing the same importance on bracing for bench is that you can generate more force through the bar by applying leg drive. I assume because you're doing a mach meet your goal is powerlifting with these lifts so you will want to be putting as much force into the bar as you can using your entire body. Once braced (& btw you already know how to arch which is good - although you may be able to get more of an arch by putting your feet up on the bench, doing a glute bridge by pelvic thrusting towards the ceiling, then placing your feet down - this is basically my bench setup followed by rowing myself into the bar afterwards to set my scapulae in a retracted position). But anyways the mechanics of driving are to use your quad muscles as if you were trying to push your feet into the floor - without holding a bar, this would slide you down the bench & out the back of it. The goal of leg drive isn't to push the bar "up", but moreso towards the rack. You can get really good at this by practicing it on paused bench - pause the bar on your chest, let it "sink in" a little bit (about a a half inch to an inch, just below your sternum or whevever is comfortable), then your leg drive applies force into the bar, giving it its start of momentum, so when you go to push it with your chest & triceps it is already moving, therefore you can push it faster. Another thing to note is that I can tell you were nervous with your max attempt bench & descended it extra slow - this is basically doing an eccentric lowering of the weight using your chest musles and is pre-fatiguing them for when you will need to use them in a concentric motion. So if you can lower the bar a bit faster (don't drop it on yourself lol, but make it feel like you are doing a controlled row of the bar into your chest), you will have a lot more pec end tricep energy left to spare when it is time to press the bar - you will also have spend less time holding your breath since you last inhaled so you will be fresher on your oxygen stores to make the lift happen.

For deads kind of poor camera angle, I can't see your right hand at all, not that what grip you're using is what I'm looking for here (for any lift a diagonal view like straight 45 degrees is great because it's like getting to see a front/side or back/side view at the same time). I can't see enough of the bar to see if you are applying pre-pull tension to it or not. First thing I notice is a very common problem, when you start the pull your hips rise first before the bar moves - this means you are not in an ideal starting position - in an ideal position your hips & the bar move at the same time. Here is the setup drill you need to practice, on building pre-pull tension (the setup is like 99% of the deadlift, IMO). You're going to practice building as much tension in the bar as you can, without actually lifting it. This means you will basically try to pull on the bar hard enough that it bends, but the plates don't leave the floor - this is what "pre-pull tension" is. To be specific, this is not just pulling with your arms/back - yes you will do that (if you just move your chest "up" this happens automatically), but you will also want to be pushing your feet into the floor at the same time. This completes your full chain of the bar having tension applied through it, your entire posterior chain already having its muscles contracted, before you even start the lift - this is why I say deadlifts are 99% setup. I'm getting ahead of myself - the drill is to keep practicing this, & it will feel different for how many plates you load the bar with - for example 225 you will probably lift it by accident an inch or two (& that's ok), that's what I want you to practice though. See how much tension you need to build to "accidently" lift 225, to "accidently" lift 315, without actually trying to lift it. Once you can do this, this is your setup, and the actual deadlift is just 2 motions - it is leg drive with your quads up until the point the bar clears your knees, then it is all hip extension which is done by the glutes & hamstrings. You can break the movement into these 2 phases & practice the neuromuscular coordination for each by performing paused deadlifts - stop the bar mid-shin, then re-accelerate it from this position - you will still need to finish using leg drive to clear your knee, then hip extension to finish. Or you can stop just below your knee & make that part just hip extension but I recommend mid-shin. I can't really see your starting position but a good reference is that the position you land in when you jump is your strongest conventional deadlift position. Another tip is stand in front of the bar & start getting consistent with how far away from your shin it is (when your leg is straight) - you can use one of your shoelace holes as a visual reference to which is the last hole you can see underneath the bar. Typically the narrower the stance for conventional (to an extent) will give you the best leverages. Also the movement is a "hip-hinge" movement when setting up - a hip hinge is how you would pick something up off the floor while mimizing how much you bend your back, by using your hips instead. Practice picking up a pencil off the floor while keeping your back as upright as possible by "hinging/opening" your hips - this is basically what you want to achieve in the deadlift setup. I have a long list of cues it seems like but in general what I do is breathe/brace--> pull slack--> do the deadlift. I will edit this post shortly to add a short clip showing how fast a sub-max (but still pretty heavy) weight flies when a high amount of tension is built, & a picture describing how it works. I probably missed a lot of stuff but my semester is ending in a few weeks & I will have a month off, I have been considering making a very indepth deadlift tutorial to explain all this on video - no I'm not the strongest deadlifter ever but I am also not bad, doing 530 lbs at 190 lbs like it was nothing the other day so I feel like making a video to refer to would help a lot of people out when I have - just have a lot of points to cover so I will probably have to write it out to plan it out etc...too complex of a movement to sum up in like 3 sentences. If you use the youtube slow motion feature you will be able to see better how I am separately first pulling slack out of the bar to tense it & my kinetic chain up before actually trying to lift it.

49088c084f139c8776da98f27e46d5e1.jpg

Hey thanks for taking the time to write out a long detailed reply it’s appreciated man. I see what you mean with the deadlift I’ll put some hard work into that for this next while. I think everything makes sense to me haha. I read it over about 4 times.

Also it’s cold up here in Canada haha. Need to wear pants. And I don’t own a sexy one piece like you have in your video. 

As a side note you are freaking jacked man. Anyways thanks again dude.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Strong mock meet dude! Knocking on the doorstep of a 405 squat and a 300 bench. Sucks about the 495 miss but I think you'll build character and hunger and go get after it in the future. I agree with Derek about pulling the slack out of the bar. Another way to think of it is "pulling yourself into the bar". TBH you may even have 5 bills in you with a more refined technique on deadlift. When I competed 455-495lbs would break the ground like a pause deadlift I'd create so much tension in the bottom position. For a referance I'd guess my max then was 630? These numbers aren't meant to brag but give you an idea of just how explosive you can get off the floor with tension. 

We seem to be built very similar I'm just fatter lol. 6ft, longer limbs, high hip position in deadlifts and strongest in the conventional stance as opposed to sumo. After years of competing I'm convinced just go with it. Don't get me wrong improve technique, but I tried setting the hips lower and switching to sumo etc. higher hip conventional was always the strongest. The beauty of pulling the slack out of the bar is it automatically sets your hips in a natural position. However on max effort attempts you see guys like us hips rise early due to our biomechanics and muscular imbalances/weaknesses. How you can work on this is using training percentages which allow for more optimal technique. For example I'll only squat heavy enough until I feel my hips shooting back early and chest collapsing etc One of my buddies here in Calgary pulls almost 700lb conventional basically SLDL LOL! Similar build as us gorilla type, long arms, big back narrow hips. He tried it all, we used to be on a quality powerlifting team in Calgary. He squats 415 for 4 sets of 15 reps these days but yet still he always beast modes the more SLDL style of deadlift. Maybe this is the pragmatist in me showing 😁 Time for you to have a 🍺 and celebrate!

Thanks man. Yeah time to get back to work now hopefully hit that 300 bench and 405 squat soon. I’ll be working on dialing in deadlifts now I think a big thing was I was using straps for all my deadlifts. And hook gripped them all today and haven’t don’t a hook grip in like 4 months now and had a tough time getting it gripped right and I think caused me to rush a bit. I dunno just a though. Yeah I feel like I have a bad build for powerlifting but if buddy deadlifts 700 and squats 415x15 what’s my excuse right. Just need to get stronger. Where do you find meets in Calgary? I think 2022 might be time for my first meet. 

Edited by Nuttgens
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Thanks man. Yeah time to get back to work now hopefully hit that 300 bench and 405 squat soon. I’ll be working on dialing in deadlifts now I think a big thing was I was using straps for all my deadlifts. And hook gripped them all today and haven’t don’t a hook grip in like 4 months now and had a tough time getting it gripped right and I think caused me to rush a bit. I dunno just a though. Yeah I feel like I have a bad build for powerlifting but if buddy deadlifts 700 and squats 415x15 what’s my excuse right. Just need to get stronger. Where do you find meets in Calgary? I think 2022 might be time for my first meet. 

Makes sense about switching from straps to hook grip effecting your form. Props for doing hook grip lol alot of people can't handle the pain. I think you can always be a better version of yourself and if powerlifting makes you happy you should do it 👍 that's why I did it, getting stronger, the comradery, and reaching strength heights you didn't think were possible. My buddy has some of the most insane work capacity I've seen. He's not a mere mortal like us haha and is Ukranian by heritage so maybe that factors in. In all my years powerlifting I don't know I've come across someone with such a work capacity so he is likely an outlier. I look at grip sport in a similar fashion. Sure I'll never be Adam Glass or Tanner Merkle, but I can be a much better version of myself and my weak starting point(probably would've failed the Trainer initially now I'm training to close my hard 2.5) so in my eyes that's quite a climb. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Makes sense about switching from straps to hook grip effecting your form. Props for doing hook grip lol alot of people can't handle the pain. I think you can always be a better version of yourself and if powerlifting makes you happy you should do it 👍 that's why I did it, getting stronger, the comradery, and reaching strength heights you didn't think were possible. My buddy has some of the most insane work capacity I've seen. He's not a mere mortal like us haha and is Ukranian by heritage so maybe that factors in. In all my years powerlifting I don't know I've come across someone with such a work capacity so he is likely an outlier. I look at grip sport in a similar fashion. Sure I'll never be Adam Glass or Tanner Merkle, but I can be a much better version of myself and my weak starting point(probably would've failed the Trainer initially now I'm training to close my hard 2.5) so in my eyes that's quite a climb. 

Exactly man. Not trying to be the best just better than I am now. I don’t find hook grip hurts much maybe the weights just not heavy enough yet. I hate doing mixed grip ot feels off to me. Plus my hands are used to taking a beating at work. 

• Like 1

Today’s training 

hg300 7 reps right 3 reps left 

ghp7 block set 2 reps right mms failed left 

coc 3 mms 1 rep right hg300 1 rep left 

hg300 6 reps right coc 2.5 6 reps left 

coc 2.5 17 reps right 4 reps left 

coc 2 33 reps right 19 reps left 

really weak today not sure why

• Like 3

More today 

DB bench press 70lbsx12, 75lbsx12, 80lbsx12, 85lbsx12

DB row 4 sets 15 reps 100lbs

seated DB overhead press 3 sets 12 reps 55lbs

pull ups 3 sets 8 reps 32.5lbs

EZ bar curls 3 sets 8 reps 97.5lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 12 reps 110lbs

• Like 4

Today’s training

squat 4 sets 6 reps 315lbs

trap bar deadlift 3 sets 8 reps 370lbs 

GHR 3 sets 13 reps

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

fat gripz deadlift 3 sets 7 reps 250lbs 

• Like 2

Today’s training 

OHP 3 sets 10 reps 115lbs

DB hex press 4 sets 12 reps 65lbs

thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 12 reps 85lbs

Skull crushers 3 sets 10 reps 87.5lbs

cable flies 3 sets 15 reps 80lbs 

DB curls 3 sets 12 reps 35lbs 

blockbuster pinch block 3 sets 11 reps 45lbs + pinch block and loading pin 

• Like 4

Today’s training 

deadlift a single at 465lbs then 4 sets 6 reps at 405lbs

SSB squat 3 sets 10 reps 255lbs

hack squat 3 sets 15 reps 110lbs 

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

• Like 4

Today’s training

incline DB press 4 sets 12 reps 75lbs

wide grip row 4 sets 15 reps 175lbs

chin up 3 sets 8 reps 47.5lbs

face pull 3 sets 15 reps 155lbs

DB preacher hammer curl 3 sets 12,10,8 reps 35lbs

rolling thunder 3 sets 8 reps 142.5lbs, 1 rep 147.5lbs, 1 rep 157.5lbs weights dont include handle and loading pin 

• Like 3

Today’s training 

cobalt 2 reps right ghp7 barely missed a rep left 

ghp8 attempt right hg300 3 reps left 

cobalt 1 rep right  hg300 2 reps left 

coc 3 2 reps right hg300 2 reps left 

ghp7 2 reps right coc 2.5 6 reps left 

Coc 2.5 18 reps right  coc 2 18 reps left 

First time closing my 162 cobalt for 2 reps

hopefully the ghp8 goes down soon 

Edited by Nuttgens
  • Like 5

More today 

DB bench press 4 sets 10 reps 90lbs

DB row 4 sets 12 reps 105lbs 

DB seated overhead press 3 sets 10 reps 60lbs

pull ups 3 sets 7 reps 45lbs 

EZ bar curls 3 sets 10 reps 97.5lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 12 rep 120lbs 

• Like 3

Today’s training

squat 4 sets 5 reps 325lbs

trap bar deadlift 3 sets 6 reps 390lbs

GHR 3 sets 14 reps 

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

fat gripz deadlift 3 sets 7 reps 255lbs

• Like 2

Today’s training

OHP 3 sets 8 reps 122.5lbs

DB hex press 4 sets 10 reps 70lbs

thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 10 reps 87.5lbs

skull crushers 3 sets 10 reps 90lbs

Cable flies 3 sets 13 reps 85lbs

DB curls 3 sets 10 reps 40lbs

Blockbuster pinch block 3 sets 10,9,8 reps 47.5lbs + pin and block 

• Like 4

On 12/6/2021 at 10:09 PM, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training 

cobalt 2 reps right ghp7 barely missed a rep left 

ghp8 attempt right hg300 3 reps left 

cobalt 1 rep right  hg300 2 reps left 

coc 3 2 reps right hg300 2 reps left 

ghp7 2 reps right coc 2.5 6 reps left 

Coc 2.5 18 reps right  coc 2 18 reps left 

First time closing my 162 cobalt for 2 reps

hopefully the ghp8 goes down soon 

Nice work on the double with the Cobalt! That GHP8'S days are numbered!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today’s training

incline dumbbell bench 4 sets 10 reps 80lbs

wide grip row 4 sets 12 reps 185lbs

chin ups 3 sets 7 reps 60lbs 

DB preacher curls 3 sets 10 reps 40lbs

face pulls 3 sets 12 reps 160lbs

rolling thunder 3 sets 5,6,4 reps 145lbs+ handle and pin 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DerekPalmeri said:

I closed my 3 (ccs) after doing only 3 reps on the 2.5 :3 but I agree they are crazy different

I think I could do 10 reps on my 2.5 when I shut my 3. My grippers are unrated though and I think I have an easy 2.5 and a tough 3.

• Like 2

Today’s training 

Cobalt 1 rep right Coc 2.5 10 reps left 
Cobalt 1 rep right hg300 3 reps left 

Coc 3 failed hg300 2 reps left 

Ghp7 3 reps left  hg300 1 rep left 

hg300 7 reps right  coc 2.5 6 reps left 

coc 2.5 19 reps right coc 2.5 5 reps left 

• Like 5

More today 

DB bench 4 sets 8 reps 95lbs

DB row 4 sets 10 reps 110lbs 

DB seated OHP 3 sets 8 reps 65lbs

pull ups 3 sets 6 reps 50lbs

EZ bar curls 3 sets 8 reps 105lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 10 reps 130lbs 

• Like 4

Today’s training 

squat 4 sets 4 reps 340lbs

trap bar deadlift 3 sets 5 reps 415lbs

GHR 3 sets 14 reps 

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps

Fat gripz deadlift 3 sets 6 reps 265lbs, 1 rep 285lbs, failed 300lbs got it half way up.

• Like 5

Today’s training 

OHP 3 sets 6 reps 132.5lbs

hex press 4 sets 8 reps 75lbs

thumbless reverse grip curls 3 set 8 reps 95lbs

skull crushers 3 sets 8 reps 102.5lbs

cable flies 3 sets 10 reps 92.5lbs

DB curls 3 sets 8 reps 45lbs 

• Like 4

Today’s training 

deadlift 4 sets 4 reps 440lbs

SSB squats 3 sets 6 rep 290lbs