Gripper training questions

Nuttgens

2 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Funny enough I'm also 6 feet tall...weird all 3 of us are the same height lol. 

What’s your hand length?

• Like 2

Today’s training 

OHP 3 sets 5 reps 135lbs

swiss bar against bands 4 sets 5 reps 180lbs

thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 6 reps 95lbs

skull crushers 3 sets 6 reps 100lbs 

1 hand pinch the flask 3,3,2,3 reps 70lbs+pin and flask. does anyone know how to keep this from spinning when doing 1 handed seemed to want to spin on me every rep. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

What’s your hand length?

7.7 inches right hand and 7.6 inches left hand in terms of length from crease of wrist to top of middle finger. I've never measured width. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Yeah. I could be a little under 8 too hard to say where your wrist ends and hand starts. Right around 8 for sure though. 

Big hands. For an accurate measurement measure from the first crease at the bottom of the palm to the tip of the middle finger. Flat on a table if you can. 

With hand size and grippers i think hand width spread from pinkie to tip of thumb is more important.

You guys are tall 🤣 im only 5ft 9in. 

My right hand size is 7.75" and 9.25" wide. Left a smidge bigger.

Most right handed people will have a slightly longer bigger left hand and vice versa for left handed people 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rphilton said:

What's your plan for MM1? If it's roughly 153 RGC per some other posts and easy to set I'm sure you could kill it now.

Not sure i think I want to be able to slam my 162 closed every time I attempt it first 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rphilton said:

What's your plan for MM1? If it's roughly 153 RGC per some other posts and easy to set I'm sure you could kill it now.

Also working 12 hours a day for the next 3 weeks straight so for sure not until after this.

• Like 1

Today’s training 

deadlift 4 sets 3 reps 435lbs

SSB squat 3 sets 5 reps 280lbs

DB split squats 2 sets 17 reps 45lbs

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

• Like 3

Today’s training 

low incline bench press 4 sets 4 reps 225lbs

swiss bar row 4 sets 8 reps 190lbs

chin ups 3 sets 5 reps 70lbs

DB preacher curls 3 sets 6 reps 47.5lbs

face pulls 3 sets 8 reps 165lbs

rolling thunder 3 sets 4 reps 142.5lbs + handle and pin 

• Like 2

Today’s training 

hg300 10 reps right 3 reps left 

ghp7 block set 3 reps right failed mms left 

coc 3 ccs failed right failed mms left 

cobalt mms 1 rep right hh300 3 reps left 

Ghp7 mms 4 reps right hg300 2 reps left 

hg300 8 reps right 1 rep left 

coc 2.5 20 reps right 9 reps left 

• Like 4

More today 

slingshot bench press 4 sets 6 reps 250lbs

db row 4 sets 15 reps 90lbs

Swiss bar OHP 3 set 10 reps 95lbs

wide grip pull up 3 sets 8 reps 25lbs

EZ bar curls 3 sets 10 reps 92.5lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 15 reps 100lbs

• Like 2

Today’s training 

squat 4 sets 6 reps 305lbs

deficit deadlift 3 sets 8 reps 325lbs

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

GHR 3 sets 12 reps 

fat gripz deadlift 3 sets 5 reps 250lbs

• Like 2

Today’s training

OHP 3 sets 10 reps 110lbs

swiss bar bench against bands 3 sets 10 reps 165lbs

Thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 12 reps 82.5lbs

skull crushers 3 sets 12 reps 85lbs

flask 1 hand pinch 4 sets 6 reps 65lbs

• Like 3

Today’s training 

deadlift 4 sets 6 reps 395lbs

SSB squat 3 sets 10 reps 245lbs

• Like 2

Today’s training

hg300 8 reps right 2 reps left 

ghp7 block set 3 reps right ghp7 mms failed left 

coc 3 ccs 1 rep right hg300 1 rep left 

cobalt 1 rep right hg300 1 rep left 

ghp7 mms 3 reps right hg300 1 rep left

hg300 5 reps right 1 rep left

coc 2.5 20 reps right 7 reps left

• Like 4

More stuff today

slingshot bench 4 sets 5 reps 260lbs

DB row 4 sets 12 reps 95lbs

wide grip pull up 3 sets 7 reps 

Swiss bar OHP 3 sets 8 reps 100lbs

EZ bar curls 3 sets 10 reps 100lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 12 reps 120lbs

also my silver bullet, blockbuster pinch block and little big horn finally showed up today so I tested what I could do on those. After an already long work out I got

55lbs + handle and pin on blockbuster 

145lbs + handle and pin on little big horn 

17 seconds with a coc 3 on the silver bullet 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

More stuff today

slingshot bench 4 sets 5 reps 260lbs

DB row 4 sets 12 reps 95lbs

wide grip pull up 3 sets 7 reps 

Swiss bar OHP 3 sets 8 reps 100lbs

EZ bar curls 3 sets 10 reps 100lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 12 reps 120lbs

also my silver bullet, blockbuster pinch block and little big horn finally showed up today so I tested what I could do on those. After an already long work out I got

55lbs + handle and pin on blockbuster 

145lbs + handle and pin on little big horn 

17 seconds with a coc 3 on the silver bullet 

Amazing on the silver bullet for a first try 👏

Good job on the bb pinch as well. Its a wide block. Very good weight for first go 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Amazing on the silver bullet for a first try 👏

Good job on the bb pinch as well. Its a wide block. Very good weight for first go 

Thanks man. That silver bullet attempt was after lots of grippers too I think I could do better fresh. I was hoping I could do more weight on the bb pinch it is very wide though. Hopefully with a bit more practice I can be puking closer to 70lbs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Thanks man. That silver bullet attempt was after lots of grippers too I think I could do better fresh. I was hoping I could do more weight on the bb pinch it is very wide though. Hopefully with a bit more practice I can be puking closer to 70lbs.

You will get 30 secs fresh easily. Tbh you should be at a level to do 3.5 silver bullets since you can close coc 3s and GHP 7s. 

Yes the block is wide. I hate mine lol. It will come. Thumb will not be used to wide pinch.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

You will get 30 secs fresh easily. Tbh you should be at a level to do 3.5 silver bullets since you can close coc 3s and GHP 7s. 

Yes the block is wide. I hate mine lol. It will come. Thumb will not be used to wide pinch.

I don’t know if my 3.5 is just a really hard one but I can’t even set that thing it’s way way harder than my ghp8 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I disagree with most of this. 

When you first use the SB it is unlike anything most people have ever done. I could CCS my coc 2 and had problems with my coc 1 when I first use my SB. It takes a certain amount of sessions and practice to become efficient at the SB. That aside it is a different number for every person as we're all different. I do agree with you that Nuttgens can be a coc 3.5 SB guy but as he said it is a really hard 3.5 so maybe he got unlucky and just got a beast of a 3.5? 

The blockbuster is wide but 3" is the standard at least in Armlifting. They use a 3" saxon and occasionally the BB pinch block(also 3"). I realize GS will use the flask, euro, 2" saxon etc. so yes sometimes narrower pinch but they do contest 3" pinch also. You said your right hand is 7.75. I find it odd my hands along with many others here are smaller than yours but don't seem to have any issues with a 3" width. Not saying I'm any good at 3" lol but just an observation I made that seems strange to me. Also my thumbs are stubby and I probably have shite anatomy for the 3" but again it is not problematic in the slightest. The texture of the BB at least for me is what makes it very challenging as it feels slippery. 

Lastly not sure if you just made a harmless error but you said..."Thumb will not be used in wide pinch". That is officially the weirdest thing I've ever read on the gripboard. Not only is it worked on the 3", the BB pinch block smokes the thumbs alot harder than say a 2" block. My hands are a hair over average so perhaps this plays a factor. If you just mis typed please accept my apology. This statement to me is akin to someone saying..."legs don't matter on the back squat". Or "fingers don't matter on grippers". Can't tell if its trolling, an accident or you're being serious. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I disagree with most of this. 

When you first use the SB it is unlike anything most people have ever done. I could CCS my coc 2 and had problems with my coc 1 when I first use my SB. It takes a certain amount of sessions and practice to become efficient at the SB. That aside it is a different number for every person as we're all different. I do agree with you that Nuttgens can be a coc 3.5 SB guy but as he said it is a really hard 3.5 so maybe he got unlucky and just got a beast of a 3.5? 

The blockbuster is wide but 3" is the standard at least in Armlifting. They use a 3" saxon and occasionally the BB pinch block(also 3"). I realize GS will use the flask, euro, 2" saxon etc. so yes sometimes narrower pinch but they do contest 3" pinch also. You said your right hand is 7.75. I find it odd my hands along with many others here are smaller than yours but don't seem to have any issues with a 3" width. Not saying I'm any good at 3" lol but just an observation I made that seems strange to me. Also my thumbs are stubby and I probably have shite anatomy for the 3" but again it is not problematic in the slightest. The texture of the BB at least for me is what makes it very challenging as it feels slippery. 

Lastly not sure if you just made a harmless error but you said..."Thumb will not be used in wide pinch". That is officially the weirdest thing I've ever read on the gripboard. Not only is it worked on the 3", the BB pinch block smokes the thumbs alot harder than say a 2" block. My hands are a hair over average so perhaps this plays a factor. If you just mis typed please accept my apology. This statement to me is akin to someone saying..."legs don't matter on the back squat". Or "fingers don't matter on grippers". Can't tell if its trolling, an accident or you're being serious. 

Regarding the SB, everyone may vary but most people will be using a level above what they can close. He could well have an above average 3.5 yes.

I never said i have a problem with the block or wide pinching, im probably just not that good at it. Ive lifting 66lbs on the IM block so not great i know. I just dont like the thing lol. I much prefer wide plate pinching what i do at 2.75mm or 70mm. 

You need to reread my last sentence. Im no troll. I wrote and i quote "Thumb will not be used to wide pinch" not used in wide pinch. His thumb will not be accustomed to wide pinching as i think he has only used the flask at 57mm before. Not a wide block at 76mm.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Regarding the SB, everyone may vary but most people will be using a level above what they can close. He could well have an above average 3.5 yes.

I never said i have a problem with the block or wide pinching, im probably just not that good at it. Ive lifting 66lbs on the IM block so not great i know. I just dont like the thing lol. I much prefer wide plate pinching what i do at 2.75mm or 70mm. 

You need to reread my last sentence. Im no troll. I wrote and i quote "Thumb will not be used to wide pinch" not used in wide pinch. His thumb will not be accustomed to wide pinching as i think he has only used the flask at 57mm before. Not a wide block at 76mm.

I agree 100% on SB and it has been my experience that most of us will do a level beyond like you said. My point remains though, out of almost anything I've ever tried in the gym or related to strength and fitness the SB is a strange device if a person is brand new to it. So in other words after x-amount of sessions they should theoretically be a level above with the SB. But until that time at least for some it takes getting used to. Their are numerous cases where an athlete tries the SB at a competition and does piss poor but is at least okay on grippers. For me my first time with the SB I felt like a fish out of water lol. After maybe 3-4 sessions it started feeling "more normal". 

30kg is a fantastic result on the BB imo considering you don't train it. With some effort you could be at 40kg+. I get why people don't like it as its slick and possibly inconsistent. 

I see your point now, the word "used" I misinterpreted what you were saying although I'd hope you could see how I would be confused. I was worried for you their for a second thinking you meant..."the thumb isn't worked in a wide pinch". I was confused because I find wide pinch smokes my thumb more than anything else in grip. Though I will concede the pressure and force of the wrist wrench and simlar devices does do a number on the thumb. My apologies for the confusion and if Nuttgens had said it to you I would've wrote the same on your training log 😉

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I agree 100% on SB and it has been my experience that most of us will do a level beyond like you said. My point remains though, out of almost anything I've ever tried in the gym or related to strength and fitness the SB is a strange device if a person is brand new to it. So in other words after x-amount of sessions they should theoretically be a level above with the SB. But until that time at least for some it takes getting used to. Their are numerous cases where an athlete tries the SB at a competition and does piss poor but is at least okay on grippers. For me my first time with the SB I felt like a fish out of water lol. After maybe 3-4 sessions it started feeling "more normal". 

30kg is a fantastic result on the BB imo considering you don't train it. With some effort you could be at 40kg+. I get why people don't like it as its slick and possibly inconsistent. 

I see your point now, the word "used" I misinterpreted what you were saying although I'd hope you could see how I would be confused. I was worried for you their for a second thinking you meant..."the thumb isn't worked in a wide pinch". I was confused because I find wide pinch smokes my thumb more than anything else in grip. Though I will concede the pressure and force of the wrist wrench and simlar devices does do a number on the thumb. My apologies for the confusion and if Nuttgens had said it to you I would've wrote the same on your training log 😉

Some will find the SB hold tricky im comps for sure. Another factor  will depend a lot on wether they have practiced setting harder grippers. I cant close my 2.5 yet i can hold in no problem in an SB hold first time.i tried. I only got 7 seconds i think lol.

Thanks but i I should of clarified. The 30kg was left hand, ive only done 28kg or 62lbs right. Ethier way i hate the slick IM Block. Mine is from 2005 before they changed to more textured paint in 2009. 40kg would be awesome but i rarely train it. Maybe once every few months.

No apologies needed at all. Glad we could clear up the confusion.😀

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Some will find the SB hold tricky im comps for sure. Another factor  will depend a lot on wether they have practiced setting harder grippers. I cant close my 2.5 yet i can hold in no problem in an SB hold first time.i tried. I only got 7 seconds i think lol.

Thanks but i I should of clarified. The 30kg was left hand, ive only done 28kg or 62lbs right. Ethier way i hate the slick IM Block. Mine is from 2005 before they changed to more textured paint in 2009. 40kg would be awesome but i rarely train it. Maybe once every few months.

No apologies needed at all. Glad we could clear up the confusion.😀

7seconds is good. Oddly enough its my best result on the 2.5. My theory is for those of us who have no issue with set strength we may get better carryover with the SB as opposed to doing full gripper closes. It's the last few mm on gripper closes that get me. That said I realize I could be singing a different tune if I were at Nuttgens level and had to try to set a hard 3.5. Setting strength with the crazy rgc level grippers might feel like a whole new world lol. 

Those are still great results with the BB. I do occasionally go to a gym that has the old model BB and it feels different than the newer model. No clue what's harder to grip with. I'm tempted to try them both in the same workout and see if there is much variation. 

• Like 2