coc 2.5 8 reps right 2 reps left 

inverted 

Coc 2.5 9 reps right and left

coc 2 16 reps right and left 

coc 1.5 40 reps right and left 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Hello Nuttgens,

Just a thought now, it seems you have been at this level for a while now, perhaps it's time to tweak your programming a little bit to spark some new progress? Or are there other variables such as work that gets in the way?

Or what do you think?

I'm just saying because it's easy getting stuck in what has worked at one time, it's difficult turning away from that. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Yeah I’m thinking I’ll switch stuff up a bit. Might try doing one day tns and one day mms or something like that for a bit.

Today’s training 

bench press 4 sets 6 reps 210lbs

DB row 4 sets 15 reps 80lbs

pull up 3 sets 7,7,6 reps 30lbs

lever OHP 3 sets 8 reps 95lbs

EZ bar curls 3 sets 10reps 87lbs

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training 

bench press 4 sets 6 reps 210lbs

DB row 4 sets 15 reps 80lbs

pull up 3 sets 7,7,6 reps 30lbs

lever OHP 3 sets 8 reps 95lbs

EZ bar curls 3 sets 10reps 87lbs

Great session. Do you do your reverse curls with a thumbless or thumb wrapped around grip? 

5 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Great session. Do you do your reverse curls with a thumbless or thumb wrapped around grip? 

With my thumb wrapped around. Maybe I’ll try some thumbless though.

• Like 1

Today’s training

squat 4 sets 6 reps 265lbs

hip thrust 3 sets 10 reps 275lbs

GHR 3 sets 10,8,8 reps 

DB box step ups 3 sets 10 reps 40lbs 

Ab wheel 4 sets 25 reps 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

With my thumb wrapped around. Maybe I’ll try some thumbless though.

You should defo try thumbless. Excellent for finger strength and you get way more extensor work out of them. 

They will help your grippers thumbless. Its the the same postition as the full close of a grippers. Once you get half way yiu have to really squeeze or the bar drops.

• Like 1

Today’s training 

close grip bench 4 sets 10 reps 185lbs

overhead press 3 sets 10 reps 95lbs

Thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 12 reps 77lbs

Skull crushers 3 sets 12 reps 77lbs

cable flies 3 sets 15 reps 70lbs 

mcalpine was right those thumbless curls feel much better and much harder going to keep doing it that way from now on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training 

close grip bench 4 sets 10 reps 185lbs

overhead press 3 sets 10 reps 95lbs

Thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 12 reps 77lbs

Skull crushers 3 sets 12 reps 77lbs

cable flies 3 sets 15 reps 70lbs 

mcalpine was right those thumbless curls feel much better and much harder going to keep doing it that way from now on.

Yeah they are also more elbow friendly. Keep them up and i bet your grippers will be stronger.

• Thanks 1

Today’s training

all reps TNS. First time actually training TNS. I tried it for a couple sets a few weeks ago. Probably lots of room for improvement.

warm up coc 1,1.5,2

coc 2.5 4 reps right 2 reps left 

Heavy grip 300 cpw rated 141 1 rep right failed left 

Heavy grip 300 missed 1mm right coc 2.5 2 reps left 

Coc 2.5 with the bumper 1 turn 4 reps right 1 rep left 

Coc 2.5 bumper 2 turns 4 reps right 1 rep left 

inverted parallel set 

coc 2.5 11 reps right 10 reps left 
coc 2 20 reps right and left 

coc 1.5 50 reps right and left 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Impressive.

Interesting how you can tns 141 but can't ccs the #3 🤔

My 3 is not rated but I would imagine it is atleast 150 so a bit harder. When I miss my 3 is is only just barely I will be closing it soon I hope.

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

Impressive.

Interesting how you can tns 141 but can't ccs the #3 🤔

17 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

My 3 is not rated but I would imagine it is atleast 150 so a bit harder. When I miss my 3 is is only just barely I will be closing it soon I hope.

My CCS is not much above my TNS. (~4-5%) Guess its handsize dependant. 

Great work Nuttgens! Nice following your progress.

Edited by Griparn
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Griparn said:

Great work Nuttgens! Nice following your progress.

Thanks man. I don’t think my ccs is much better than my TNS either.

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Interesting how you can tns 141 but can't ccs the #3

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice work!

My guess would be that smaller hands make the CCS closer in difficulty to TNS.  My hands are 7.5, and my best TNS to date on a COC was a hard 2.5 rated 134 and on a RB (narrower spread) was one rated 138 -- while my best CCS close on a COC was my 3 rated 143 (have never been able to CCS my 145, 150, 153).  And the CCS on 143 was harder for me than the TNS on 134.  So that's only about a 5 per cent spread also.

I am also getting interested in doing some more CCS because I am wondering whether I can try the Ironmind cert before they go back to live, it would be less imposing on others to take the risk of failure if it's just by mail and vid ...

Is TNS training something people have found especially helpful for CCS closes?  I would think it should be, but also the mechanics of the CCS close I think could be huge.  I think I lose a bit because I have to hold it longer while I make sure I did the card right, and if I got quicker and more accurate with the card, I might have more left for the close.

Also wondering:  is it advantageous to get a deep MMS or deeper set first and then open up to pass the card, or just set it to the card's width quickly to begin with?  I guess the deeper initial set would give you a better grip on the handles and might add some psychological advantage, but might it also sap you a bit having to hold the half close longer to insert the card?  I think I am not ready just yet anyway, but I am thinking that getting better form might get me as much closer as getting stronger. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Nice work!

My guess would be that smaller hands make the CCS closer in difficulty to TNS.  My hands are 7.5, and my best TNS to date on a COC was a hard 2.5 rated 134 and on a RB (narrower spread) was one rated 138 -- while my best CCS close on a COC was my 3 rated 143 (have never been able to CCS my 145, 150, 153).  And the CCS on 143 was harder for me than the TNS on 134.  So that's only about a 5 per cent spread also.

I am also getting interested in doing some more CCS because I am wondering whether I can try the Ironmind cert before they go back to live, it would be less imposing on others to take the risk of failure if it's just by mail and vid ...

Is TNS training something people have found especially helpful for CCS closes?  I would think it should be, but also the mechanics of the CCS close I think could be huge.  I think I lose a bit because I have to hold it longer while I make sure I did the card right, and if I got quicker and more accurate with the card, I might have more left for the close.

Also wondering:  is it advantageous to get a deep MMS or deeper set first and then open up to pass the card, or just set it to the card's width quickly to begin with?  I guess the deeper initial set would give you a better grip on the handles and might add some psychological advantage, but might it also sap you a bit having to hold the half close longer to insert the card?  I think I am not ready just yet anyway, but I am thinking that getting better form might get me as much closer as getting stronger. 

Thanks man.

Nice work on a coc 3 ccs!

I’m not the best person to give advice I’m pretty new. This is my first time doing TNS right now my plan is to do one day TNS and one day mms/ a little wider then if I can get my numbers up in those attempt some ccs again. Been mostly doing all ccs since I started so just switching it up a bit for now.

4 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

For me best tns is 120ish (not rated so I don't really know) and best ccs is the same as yours. Same hand size too!

I would think the best ccs training is doing ccs style closes but skipping the pause and do it explosively instead. At least for me tns is a way too different thing..

Some people swear by that technique, setting it deeper first and letting it out, supposedly adding alot of strength for them. For me it takes away alot and I am much weaker that way, I think it's the same for @Cannon as well. I recall Teemu also used that technique and he has smaller hands than us, so can't be related to that. I'm not sure what the difference is 🤔

I do set it tighter than ccs and open it but it’s not very much.

also I’m pretty sure my hand size is 8”

Edited by Nuttgens
  • Like 1

today’s training

deadlift 4 sets 6 reps 335lbs

front squat 3 sets 10 reps 185lbs

GHR 3 sets 10,10,8 reps 

split squat 3 sets 15 reps 45lbs

ab wheel 4 sets 25 reps 

fat gripz deadlift 3 sets 5 reps 245lbs

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Yeah 🙂

I set it to the right width immediately, feels best that way. Also my "window" for a good set with ccs is so narrow so I need to hit it just right, and setting it deeper messes that Up..

Agree. If i set a gripper deeply I basically cannot let it out to CCS width and keep my ring/pinkie on the handle. I have to set it to the right width and try to keep going from there. 

• Like 2

Today’s training 

incline bench 3 sets 10 reps 160lbs

landmine row 4 sets 12 reps 135lbs

reverse hypers 3 sets 20 reps 70lbs

chin ups 3 sets 8,7,6 reps 45lbs

face pulls 3 sets 15 reps 140lbs

DB preacher hammer curls 3 sets 12,11,11 reps 30lbs

• Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 9:54 AM, Vinnie said:

Nice work!

Right so that's kind of reason why credit card close can be a bit tougher for some just cuz it can slip back into your palm when you're trying to show the width. I found chalk to help keep it in place somewhat and I don't personally do this but if you have a wire brush you can clean the chalk out of your knurling so its easier contact with the chalk more friction etc. If your hands are big enough where you feel comfortable tnsing then for sure try to practice it when you can it will make you so much stronger in doing ccs closes they will feel like nothing to you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ivan Cuk said:

Right so that's kind of reason why credit card close can be a bit tougher for some just cuz it can slip back into your palm when you're trying to show the width. I found chalk to help keep it in place somewhat and I don't personally do this but if you have a wire brush you can clean the chalk out of your knurling so its easier contact with the chalk more friction etc. If your hands are big enough where you feel comfortable tnsing then for sure try to practice it when you can it will make you so much stronger in doing ccs closes they will feel like nothing to you.

Yeah that is exactly my plan right now. Try to get my TNS stronger for a bit then see how my ccs feels after. Also going to work on my mms stuff at the same time. Basically just going to take a break from ccs for a bit.

• Like 2

Today’s training

all reps mms 

ghp7 1 rep right failed left 

Ghp7 1 rep right hg300 1 rep left 

Ghp7 1 rep right hg300 1 rep left 

Ghp7 failed right hg300 1 rep left 

gh300 2 reps right coc 2.5 8 reps left 

inverted 

coc 2.5 11 reps right 8 reps left 

coc 2 20 reps right 12 reps left 

Coc 1.5 50 reps right 45 reps left