Gripper training questions

Nuttgens

Hey all, I have been training grippers 4 months now my routine so far has been twice a week warm up then 5 sets max reps with the heaviest gripper I can do at the time then do 4 sets inverted higher reps. For example this is my last workout.

First rep is ccs all other reps are wide maybe now credit card wide I don’t check after first rep 

warm up

coc1 10 reps 

coc 1.5 10 reps 

coc 2 10 reps 

work sets

coc 2.5 4 reps

coc 2.5 4 reps 

coc 2.5 5 reps

coc 2.5 4 reps 

coc 2 14 reps

inverted

coc 2 5 reps

coc 1.5 20 reps 

coc 1.5 22 reps 

coc 1.5 22 reps 

that’s right hand left is a bit weaker but you get the idea.

This is a routine I just kinda started doing when I got grippers before I found the GripBoard when I got my grippers I could only do the 1.5 for a few reps so I have been making progress. My question is if this is working for me should I just stick with it. My goal is to close my coc 3 ccs. Would I be better off getting the rrbt or kta program or just carry on. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks, Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally i think you are doing too many reps in your warm up.

You would get more with the 2.5 if you did less. Just do a few reps with lighter grippers before hitting the 2.5 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

Yeah I agree with that. The 1 and 1.5 reps are fine, better be safe than sorry. But 10 on the 2 is a little much. 1 or 2 would suffice 

Yeah its too much. I think maybe 8 reps with the 1. 5 reps with the 1.5 and 3 with the 2 would be better then he should be nice and fresh and warmed up for the work sets.

• Like 1

Alright I’ll give that a try in my next workout. Do any of you guys know how to upload a video from my iPhone onto my post I took a video of me doing the 2.5 for 4 reps but it says it’s the wrong file extension when I try to add it

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Alright I’ll give that a try in my next workout. Do any of you guys know how to upload a video from my iPhone onto my post I took a video of me doing the 2.5 for 4 reps but it says it’s the wrong file extension when I try to add it

.mov is not supported on some platforms. Best case is to make a youtube account and upload it there, then just paste the video url here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never mind I don’t have a video of the 4 rep set but I have a video of a 3 rep set from last Sunday. Last workout was Wednesday. Started a YouTube account to put it on there. This was my 5th set because I couldn’t keep my hand on screen haha I’ll get it figured eventually. Also I am gonna turn this post into a training log so I’ll end up with lots of better videos on here.

Let me know if the video works or not I’m horrible on computers.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Never mind I don’t have a video of the 4 rep set but I have a video of a 3 rep set from last Sunday. Last workout was Wednesday. Started a YouTube account to put it on there. This was my 5th set because I couldn’t keep my hand on screen haha I’ll get it figured eventually. Also I am gonna turn this post into a training log so I’ll end up with lots of better videos on here.

Let me know if the video works or not I’m horrible on computers.

Great closes. Nice and controlled. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Imo, I think just carry on untill you stagnate. No question about it. Don't change anything that works, especially not with grippers as they can be difficult to progress on. 5 reps with 2.5 ccs is very strong.

I really like your routine, seems fun. 

Went through your training log very impressive good job man. That bench press is insane. I thought I was only a few months off closing my #3 but after reading your log looks like it could take longer than expected.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Thanks. Well my bench is long gone by now though ^^ 

You never know. I'm not really talented in grip so it takes a long time for me. I made very quick gains in the beginning but then it slowed down biiig time. Although it took me less than a year to mms the #3. But I'm closing in on 3 years of dead serious training and I'm yet to CCS an average #3. I am very very close though. But, that means nothing in terms of how long it will take. I remember slamming the #2 very easily within 2-3 weeks or so from a no set/wide set, and I thought hey, maybe I am decent at this after all lol. 

Yeah man the #3 really is a beast it feels unbelievably harder than the 2.5 I can barely get it to move. I only attempted it the day I got it probably won’t try it again till I can get 10 reps on my 2.5. What the big goal your working towards now still the #3?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Haha yeah, I actually closed the #2.5 first try when I got it as a teenager. Feeling like a beast I ordered a #3 immediately, when I got it I could close it down 10mm or so. It made me quit for 10 years 😂 although it turns out it was a heavy #3 so that's a shame. 

A lot of people agree that working with your goal gripper, attempting it etc, is one of the best ways to make progress. And in truth, the fastest way for you to close it would probably be that approach. However for better, higher, long term gains I think your way is much better. If I could do my Journey all over again I would have put in base work for the entirety of the 1st year. You will need the attempts or heavy singles eventually though, at least to some degree. 

Yeah, still the #3. I don't enjoy training as much anymore so I havent got a lot of goals really. I have been lifting for so long now that I got a heavy feeling of been there done that regarding most things. But the 3 still motivates me as strongly as when I started thankfully ^^ other than that I enjoy handstands and flexibility training. 

How about you? 

Right now the only goal I have is to close the #3. I have been able to add a rep every workout since I got my 2.5 so if I’m lucky I’ll be able to keep going at that pace and I’ll be hitting 10 soon. So far every time I can hit 10 on a gripper I have been able to smash the next one but obviously the #3 is a completely different beast.

Other  than that For now I just want to get my old strength back. I couldn’t go to the gym for 5 months still can’t go when I’m at work as I work out of town in a remote work camp and they have the gym shut down for Covid still. For now if I can get back to my 365lb squat 455lb deadlift and 275lb bench I would be happy. I haven’t been able to train properly for a while now and looks like I won’t be able to for a while still. Plus  I’m down about 25lbs body weight since then. 

Im slowly acquiring gym stuff at home picking up my power rack another bar(been using the wife’s women’s bar till now) and bench tomorrow. I only have 225lbs of weight though but for where I’m at now it’s more than enough for everything except deadlift. Trying get some more plates soon.

I work 9 days up north then home for 5 though so it’s not consistent training. At work I just do push ups and grippers. Really hope the gym gets opened up soon.

If you asked me my goals 6 months ago nothing would be related to grip. It would of been a 315lb bench 405lb squat and 495lb deadlift. Three plates, four plates, 5 plates. That is what I was really working towards before Covid happened. 

Edited by Nuttgens

7 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Yeah, if you are lucky maybe you won't hit any kind of Wall until after the 3 even. 

Balancing work and training sucks so much, it's a pain. One of the reasons as for why I lost interest. Just too much of an effort to balance life with "serious" lifting for me. But building up a gym at home if the possibility exists helps alot. I have trained in my basement for well over a year now and I seldom miss going to the gym. So convenient. 

Maybe you should invest in some high and low parallettes and start doing some gymnastic/calisthenics training at work? You'd be able to do more intense stuff than push ups and wouldnt lose out much if at all not using the weights. 

Yeah that would be good need to be able to fit in a suitcase and put on a plane though. I really wanted a chin up bar but our rooms up in camp are a 6 foot by 10 foot cell haha there isn’t even anywhere to set up a pull up bar.

2 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Yeah that would be good need to be able to fit in a suitcase and put on a plane though. I really wanted a chin up bar but our rooms up in camp are a 6 foot by 10 foot cell haha there isn’t even anywhere to set up a pull up bar.

A set of gymnastic rings 👍 Possibly the most versatile and minimalist piece of equipment out there. You can set them up over a thick tree branch, overhead beam, staircase. Pretty cheap on amazon too 👍

Today’s training log

I have been of the weights for a while so I’m still trying to figure out where my strength level is at lost a ton of strength and lost 20lbs over the last little bit.

bench press 195lbs

4 sets of 5

fat grip pull ups with dip belt 

25lbs 7 reps

25lbs 8 reps

25lbs 6 reps

25lbs 6 reps

overhead press

115lbs 6 reps this was too heavy 

105lbs 7 reps 

105lbs 8 reps

one arm dumbbell row

80lbs 12 reps

80lbs 12 reps

80lbs 12 reps 

80lbs 12 reps

Dumbbell hammer curls

35lbs 12 reps

35lbs 12 reps

35lbs 12 reps

tricep rope extensions cable machine

80lbs 15 reps

80lbs 15 reps

80lbs 12 reps

and today’s video the 115lb overhead press

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today’s training went really good. I listened to AvgJo and Hopefully and used chalk this time and what a difference. Thanks guys. 

All sets first rep is ccs and all others right around ccs just don’t check between reps.

Should of practices sets with my #3 but I was having fun with rep work maybe next time.

warm ups 

#1-10 reps 

# 1.5-8 reps

#2-5 reps

Work sets 

right #2.5- 7 reps left #2.5- 2 reps

right #2.5- 8 reps left #2.5- 3 reps

right #2.5- 9 reps just missed 10 by a couple millimetres
left #2.5- 1 rep

right #2.5- 6 reps left #2- 6 reps 

right #2- 6 reps TNS first time trying TNS reps

left #2- 7 reps 

inverted

right #2- 8 reps left #2- 5 reps

right #1.5- 30 reps Left 1.5- 30 reps

right 1.5- 30 reps left 1.5- 25 reps

right 1.5- 24 reps left 1.5- 25 reps 

video is my 3rd set with #2.5 attempting 10 reps and missing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training went really good. I listened to AvgJo and Hopefully and used chalk this time and what a difference. Thanks guys. 

All sets first rep is ccs and all others right around ccs just don’t check between reps.

Should of practices sets with my #3 but I was having fun with rep work maybe next time.

warm ups 

#1-10 reps 

# 1.5-8 reps

#2-5 reps

Work sets 

right #2.5- 7 reps left #2.5- 2 reps

right #2.5- 8 reps left #2.5- 3 reps

right #2.5- 9 reps just missed 10 by a couple millimetres
left #2.5- 1 rep

right #2.5- 6 reps left #2- 6 reps 

right #2- 6 reps TNS first time trying TNS reps

left #2- 7 reps 

inverted

right #2- 8 reps left #2- 5 reps

right #1.5- 30 reps Left 1.5- 30 reps

right 1.5- 30 reps left 1.5- 25 reps

right 1.5- 24 reps left 1.5- 25 reps 

video is my 3rd set with #2.5 attempting 10 reps and missing.

Lol it is. You will definitely close the #3 in no time. Keep doing what you're doing.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Lol. 

You are one of those guys that will destroy the 3 in short order 👍

That gripper is unlubricated as well. 

Also perfect position on the fingers.

Thanks man I hope so. I think I’ll Start working in a bit more work with the #3 I wish there was a smaller step from the 2.5 to the three.

What would you use to lubricate it. I have some 3 in 1 or wd40 or liquid wrench in the garage any of those good enough?

yep a few drops of wd40 is fine -

Your doing amazing - that credit card set with the 2.5 is very impressive. I would recommend you order a couple RGC rated grippers between the 2.5 and 3 and that should give you a better idea of where your at. But at 6 reps on the 2.5 I would say your closing in on the 145lb rgc or a weak #3 in short order.

I"m hoping that I am only about 5-6 month behind you.

8 hours ago, eman said:

yep a few drops of wd40 is fine -

Your doing amazing - that credit card set with the 2.5 is very impressive. I would recommend you order a couple RGC rated grippers between the 2.5 and 3 and that should give you a better idea of where your at. But at 6 reps on the 2.5 I would say your closing in on the 145lb rgc or a weak #3 in short order.

I"m hoping that I am only about 5-6 month behind you.

Thanks 

Yeah I wish I knew about RGC ratings when I got mine would like to know what they are at but don’t want to ship them out and back now.
Where are you at right now I’m closing grippers?

Today’s training log

front squat

155lbs 4 sets 8 reps

deadlift 

305lb 1 set 10 reps

305lb 3 sets 8 reps

glute ham raises

3 sets 5 reps

Dumbbell lunges 
50lb dumbbells 3 sets 12 reps 

ab wheel

3 sets of 15 reps

Today’s video first deadlift set.

• Like 3

Today’s training didn’t go good. I think after my attempt in my coc #3 my hand was just fried and couldn’t handle much more.

warm ups 

#1-10

#1.5-10

#2-5

work sets

right #2.5-8 reps Left #2.5-2 reps

right #3 maybe closed it half way left #2.5-3 reps

Right #2.5-3 reps left #2.5 forced closed
Right #2.5-5 reps left #2.5-1 rep

right #2-14 reps left #2-8 reps

inverted 

Right #2-4 reps left #2-5 reps

Right #1.5-25 reps left #1.5-25 reps

right #1.5- 25 reps left #1.5- 30 reps

right #1.5- 25 reps left #1.4- 25 reps

Video is my attempt at #3. I barely get the thing to move.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training didn’t go good. I think after my attempt in my coc #3 my hand was just fried and couldn’t handle much more.

warm ups 

#1-10

#1.5-10

#2-5

work sets

right #2.5-8 reps Left #2.5-2 reps

right #3 maybe closed it half way left #2.5-3 reps

Right #2.5-3 reps left #2.5 forced closed
Right #2.5-5 reps left #2.5-1 rep

right #2-14 reps left #2-8 reps

inverted 

Right #2-4 reps left #2-5 reps

Right #1.5-25 reps left #1.5-25 reps

right #1.5- 25 reps left #1.5- 30 reps

right #1.5- 25 reps left #1.4- 25 reps

Video is my attempt at #3. I barely get the thing to move.

If you fixed that set up you could probably close it. 

• Like 2

Good work man. Look up on youtube ‘setting hand grippers” and you’ll see what I was talking about, preferably by Jedd Johnson, Paul Knight or Nathan Holle. You need to practice setting the gripper, no way around it. The handle in your palm is too far back in your hand right now. 

Yea I agree with Hopefully. It comes down to what standards you set yourself for closing it. If you just want those handles to click together no matter how, practice setting. If CCS then your on the right track. I think from a MMS you could close it already 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

For ccs your technique is excellent in my opinion. If you just want to close it you would be able to right now with a mms set as the other guys said. 

But if you can have the handle more forward for ccs you should of course. It is far back but perhaps you cant have it more forward due to hand size. But if you can do it. 

Practice it and mix in some mms with ccs. 

1 hour ago, AvgJo said:

Yea I agree with Hopefully. It comes down to what standards you set yourself for closing it. If you just want those handles to click together no matter how, practice setting. If CCS then your on the right track. I think from a MMS you could close it already 👍

Well for now I’ll keep working on a ccs set the 3 still feels awkward and hard and my set could probably be better. But if I seem to be getting no where maybe I’ll start playing around with some parallel sets and work on just getting the handles to touch.

• Like 2