Help for a novice

Lawr26X

Hello as you can read in the title I'm a novice in this topic.
I have some questions to ask, I hope that some of you expert could answer.
I have placed a bet with my friend which has a strop grip, that in the next summer (21 june) I would beat him in a handshake wrestling so I decided to work on my grip.
I bought a gripper on amazon I will add some pic below. The gripper could go up to 60 kg (theoretically 133lb) I don't think that the scale is accurate though. GIven that with the gripper set to 60kg, I'm able to do 9 reps and hold it close for almost 30 seconds. so to improve my grip I think I  need at least another 2 grippers. One that I can barely close and one goal grip. 
Here comes the problems, which grip should I buy? There are various brands; CoC, ghb etc. I was thinking to buy some CoC, I read that they are the best but I could be wrong.
Do you thing that CoC #1 and #1.5 are the right choice? I think that I should be capable to close #1 at least one time. i would like to be able to close #2 a few times by June. Do you think it is possible?
Another problem for me is where to buy this grips? Right now they are not available on amazon in my country.

photo5938523496768451397.thumb.jpg.8c5806d30c2f22b7655921970bc72832.jpg

Sorry for my bad english, I'm italian.
Thanks for reading. 

Ghp is better than CoC. If you are not sure that this sport is yours - buy сhinese grippers on ali. Non-branded Heavy Grips analogs on a good day can cost $ 3-7 with freeshipping, or  $ 10 shipping for 3-4 grippers. If you well feel that this sport is to your liking, then you will spend money on serious and more expensive products ...

29 minutes ago, Lennix said:

I'm super curious what "handshake wrestling" means :D 

I think he means arm wrestling 😁

50 minutes ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

Ghp is better than CoC. If you are not sure that this sport is yours - buy сhinese grippers on ali. Non-branded Heavy Grips analogs on a good day can cost $ 3-7 with freeshipping, or  $ 10 shipping for 3-4 grippers. If you well feel that this sport is to your liking, then you will spend money on serious and more expensive products ...

As I wrote, I want to improve, and I want to aim for coc3 one day, the bet it is not my only reason for starting this sport

49 minutes ago, Lennix said:

I'm super curious what "handshake wrestling" means :D 

Think about an handshake where the aim is to crush the other persone hand. the goal therefore is to tighten with as much force as possible to dominate the other. When one of the two begins to feel pain, it stops and the other is the winner

3 minutes ago, Lawr26X said:

As I wrote, I want to improve, and I want to aim for coc3 one day, the bet it is not my only reason for starting this sport

Think about an handshake where the aim is to crush the other persone hand. the goal therefore is to tighten with as much force as possible to dominate the other. When one of the two begins to feel pain, it stops and the other is the winner

Good luck with that! I would advice you to start with Captain of Crush Trainer and advance from there :) 

Okay, then just grip as far into his hand as possible and squeezing will be impossible for him. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Good luck with that! I would advice you to start with Captain of Crush Trainer and advance from there :) 

Okay, then just grip as far into his hand as possible and squeezing will be impossible for him. 

do you know a place where l can buy it that ships to Italy?

Edited by Lawr26X

2 hours ago, Lawr26X said:

Having a goal and the desire to achieve it is already a small part of the path to achieving this goal. But you just have no idea how long is way between that plastic perversion on your photo and CoC-3....

I have a similar gripper that goes up to 80lbs that I purchased yesterday and for fun I flip it upside down and use it as a warmup of my pinky and ring finger. Seems to work nice for that and the design is ideal for a lefty as well as the handles move in a Linear movement as opposed to a spring wound gripper.

Actual grippers feel completely different than these plastic substitutes. (largely due to the gripper getting harder as the handles get closer)

I would recommend you get either a 1.5 or #2 COC or something similar on the Average chart (heavy grips are available via amazon if that is your only option but quality varies)

https://cannonpowerworks.com/pages/grip-strength-ratings-data

The #3 is likely miles away from your current grip strength - There are a few rare people that close this gripper with minimal training or no training but they are very very few and likely less than 1% of the population.

Also I suggest you propose some other means of measuring your hand strength with your buddy as "hand wrestling" sounds dangerous. I wouldn't want to "hand wrestle" with any #3 grip closer.

Good luck and keep us posted if you get a gripper!

Hello guys, I've just bought 3 coc from a fitness store in my city. I was lucky they were even on sale.

On 9/3/2020 at 3:52 AM, Cannon said:

www.cannonpowerworks.com 🤗

Consider a starting set, maybe Beginner. 
https://cannonpowerworks.com/collections/start-here/products/grip-strength-beginner-set

It is a shame that Ive seen your reply only today. 

I chose T, 1 and 1.5. Unfortunately they didn't have the point five. 
I've tried all 3. I can close T with no problem, and I'am few mm from closing the 1 (maybe 7~8mm). of course I can't close the 1.5.
Given that an average T should be around 100lbs I think that the plastic gripper that I have could be about 80lbs. 
The coc are high quality for sure, reading on the internet I was concerned about the knurling, I was expecting something like sandpaper since some people where complaining about it. It actually feels good, is not very aggressive. 
I expect to close the 1 soon, I have some work to do to close the 1.5 

On 9/1/2020 at 2:12 PM, eman said:

Good luck and keep us posted if you get a gripper!

I forgot to quote you on the previous post

On 9/1/2020 at 11:37 AM, Hopefully said:

Dont know about italy, but many commercial training sites and stores sell coc's here in sweden. Google around a bit. 

And also, the ability to squeeze another persons hand until it's painful has more to do with relative handsize and placement rather than strength. 

Man thats awesome, i need to move to Sweden!

21 hours ago, Lawr26X said:

Hello guys, I've just bought 3 coc from a fitness store in my city. I was lucky they were even on sale.

I've tried all 3. I can close T with no problem, and I'am few mm from closing the 1 (maybe 7~8mm). of course I can't close the 1.5.
Given that an average T should be around 100lbs I think that the plastic gripper that I have could be about 80lbs. 
The coc are high quality for sure, reading on the internet I was concerned about the knurling, I was expecting something like sandpaper since some people where complaining about it. It actually feels good, is not very aggressive. 

Looks like you chose well for your starting strength.  The Trainer is great for warming up after you loosen up with the adjustable plastic one, and as you say, soon you will get the 1 and then you will have the 1.5 as a goal.  Watch some videos on how to set the gripper in your hand (you can find some in the gripboard or on youtube I am sure).  Once you get a little used to setting, you will find the 1 much more doable and the 1.5 will not seem so far off.  Then you can buy the 2 and keep the grip addiction rolling ...

21 hours ago, Lawr26X said:

Also, be careful when you make decisions about grippers based on pound ratings.  The ratings one company puts on its package may be calculated differently than another company, so you may find one rated 100 pounds that you find easy and one you cannot do at all.  I like grippers rated on a common scale independently of each company's ratings, such as by Cannon Powerworks, in order to compare one to another (no need to debate whether this is the common scale that should be used, because that seems arbitrary to me, but I just mean that I want to be able to compare my grippers to each other and to other people's grippers, so I like to see a common scale and CPW is one many people use so I like it).  A typical Trainer on the CPW scale will be close to 60 pounds (27 kg), a 1 close to 80, and a 1.5 close to 90, with a 2 a little over 100 (a little under 50kg).  There is some variety from one gripper to another even within one model number but those are ballpark figures to expect.  A .5 would be in between the Trainer and the 1, so maybe you would benefit from having that as a working gripper for a while, but I think if you practice setting and get a little used to closing them that way, the 1 may be ok for working sets very soon.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Thanks 1

Look into blobs, or other types of wide pinch grip. It is a strange goal you have, but fair enough. I think wide pinch is more applicable than grippers for that.

Also be sure to work on your extensors, especially if you are mostly doing grippers. If your elbows start to bother you, slow down with the grippers.

• 1 month later...

I just want to update this post with my progress
One month ago I was able to close only the Trainer and now I'm able to close the 1.5
CoC grippers really improve the strength, I wasn't expecting these results with just one month 

• Like 1