72nd Birthday Challenge

climber511

Every year I try to do a Birthday challenge -this was done a couple weeks ago - done within a 5 or so hour window.  One of those magical days that only happen once in a great while.  Not done in the order shown here - this was just the way i wrote the list out.  No video - done solely for myself - any doubters are welcome to come work out with me anytime.

72nd Birthday Challenge Goal Result
Weigh in around 200# on my birthday 200# 197.0#
Body Fat around 10% 10 to 12% 10.7%
·       Hold Breath for 72 seconds 2 minutes and 7 seconds
·       One foot balance x  72 seconds 72L and 61 right
·       COC #2 x 7  7 13
·       2 x 25# plate Farmers  27' 30
·       30# Hex Block Farmers  27' 30
·       Campus Board  2 to 7 2 to 9 L&R
·       One arm hang  7 sec 10 L&R
·       Reverse bend 7 60d nails in a row (pre wrapped) 7 nails 6 - failed on 7
·       Weighted chin up – 72# x 1 – Neutral Grip - 1 rep 72 x one - close on 2
·       Rings – invert to low L sit and repeat for 7 reps  7 reps 7
·       On back – push heels, back of elbows into floor – raise butt & head  7 seconds 15
·      Wrist Curl  172# Got it but lifted heels
·       Sledge to nose – 12# x 7 7 right  - 5 left
        Sledge to nose – 16# x 2 2 right miss left
·       One arm Farmers – 72# KB x one lap Left & right one lap  one lap L&R
·       Farmers Walk 70# DBs with Blue Fat Grips each hand x 72 yards – one lap Just barely but got it
       Euro  207# 215#
       Slim Lever a 12# sledge on the floor  12# 2R - miss L
       9.25# Rotational Sledge both ways  one rep both ways R - one way left
       DL Gracie L&R one rep 2 L - 1 R
·       Two Dragon flags on Bench - 2 4 but not very pretty
·       Back Lever for 7 count – loose form 7 seconds 10 seconds
·       Front Lever for 7 count – loose form 7 seconds 7 seconds
·       One arm OH KB carry – 72# (32K bell) by one lap around house  one lap One lap L&R
·       Superman Pushups x 7 7 reps Got 15
        Ab Wheel on Feet – 7 Reps 7 reps Got 4
·       Ab Wheel on knees – 27 reps 27 reps 30 could have done more
·       Hanging L sit leg spread x 27 reps 27 reps 27
·       2 Hand Bar hang – 72 seconds 72 seconds 72 seconds
        172# on my leverage squat machine – 27 reps 27
·       Axle Sumo Dead Lift x 1   327 338#
·       Sumo Double bodyweight Dead Lift 2X BW - needed 394# 2xBW 411#
·       Cambered Bar Squat to bench – 307# x 1 307# 307# missed 327#
Spider Crawl length of garage   Done
     Standing Long Jump my height - 6' 2" 6' 2" Left knee said no on warmups
     Bar Jump over top position (41") 41" 41"
     G/H raises - BW x 25 25 25 reps
2 x 35# plate pinch one rep L&R
5 x 5K plate pinch one rep Miss L&R
DB BP 70# x 7 7 reps 10 reps
Braced bend a 6" wrench one rep Tractor supply India 6"
Blue Fat Grip DL (Oly Bar) 1 164#  close on 175#
45# York Blob 1 1 R Miss L
45# Hex Block   Got air left (first time)

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Many high quality  lifts Chris, the two Iam most impressed with is the 10% body fat and 338 lb Axle DL💪💪💪💪💪

"...come workout with me."

Hell, I gotta tired just reading that never ending list.  Fantastic job Chris!

13 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Many high quality  lifts Chris, the two Iam most impressed with is the 10% body fat and 338 lb Axle DL💪💪💪💪💪

Thanks

I've been doing skinfold body fat % tests maybe once a year for a very long time (at least 25 years - probably longer) - always around 10 to 12% except the one time I tried to really go low and got down around 5-6% but then promptly got pretty sick.  It was stupid hard to do and just plain stupid as well.  Of course there is controversy over the skinfold methods accuracy but even if not perfectly accurate - it does seem to be consistent and repeatable over time.  I think it's mostly a genetic thing really - I've always been pretty lean.  I don't train or diet specifically with this in mind.   For those who remember the "set point" theory - this seems to be my personal "set point".  From a lot of the reading I have done - softening up may have allowed additional strength gains but at the cost of hurting my climbing and the other activities I enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Awesome, if I can do any 3 of these at 72 I'd be pretty happy

If I can do any 3 of those at 51 I'd be happy, too!

13 minutes ago, terminal said:

Hi Chris,

Excellent. You continue to lead the way.

Do you practice breath holds?

Best,

Al

I do breathing exercises daily but only worked on the actual breath holding for the last few weeks or so leading up to the test.  I read some articles on "how to" online and the techniques really did help.  There's nothing all that fancy to it though.

• Like 1

Impressive is an understatement!!!

The fountain of youth!  You have a HUGE margin of what I refer to as overall body energy.  The more you have, the farther you are away from taking a dirt nap is my personal theory.  The more capable you are physically, the more you have.  Hopefully your parents didn't screw you over too badly with poor genetic health problems?  

• Like 3

Chris, do you have a certain feat(s) in your Birthday challenge that you are most proud of? I wanted to ask that in earlier post but slipped my mind.

Edited by Kluv#0

On 8/31/2020 at 5:14 AM, Wannagrip said:

Impressive is an understatement!!!

The fountain of youth!  You have a HUGE margin of what I refer to as overall body energy.  The more you have, the farther you are away from taking a dirt nap is my personal theory.  The more capable you are physically, the more you have.  Hopefully your parents didn't screw you over too badly with poor genetic health problems?  

Thanks!  If the last few weeks are any indication I know how i'm going to die.  Some dumba.. on a cell phone is going to come left of center and hit me head on.  I've been run off the road twice lately.

25 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Chris, do you have a certain feat(s) in your Birthday challenge that you are most proud of? I wanted to ask that in earlier post but slipped my mind.

From being around all my friends my age I have come to believe that one’s balance and the legs and lungs are the first signs of impending doom as far as age go.  The ability to go up and down stairs, squat down and pick things up, get up off the floor - and breathe freely seem to be the cause of most of the bad things that happen as we age.  So besides the strength stuff, I think the breath holding and the one leg balance stuff was maybe the biggest change from years past.  The hardest item was no doubt the Double Bodyweight DL.

As far as what I am proudest off – I think it was doing the whole challenge in 5 hours.  I had given myself 72 hours to do it.  I was pretty surprised at pulling that off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, climber511 said:

From being around all my friends my age I have come to believe that one’s balance and the legs and lungs are the first signs of impending doom as far as age go.  The ability to go up and down stairs, squat down and pick things up, get up off the floor - and breathe freely seem to be the cause of most of the bad things that happen as we age.  So besides the strength stuff, I think the breath holding and the one leg balance stuff was maybe the biggest change from years past.  The hardest item was no doubt the Double Bodyweight DL.

As far as what I am proudest off – I think it was doing the whole challenge in 5 hours.  I had given myself 72 hours to do it.  I was pretty surprised at pulling that off. 

You stumbled upon the best metric we currently have for longevity, even with all the blood tests, MRI, special genetic tests and all the fancy expensive stuff you could imagine the most accurate predictor of mortality is how long it takes one to get on the ground and stand back up unassisted. 

Fantastic, There is nothing like old man strength ,keep it up.

I do the same on my Birthday. I call it my Birthday meet, just me ,squat,bench,deadlift.