Grip Training with Psoriasis

Adam Moyers

I haven't consistently trained grip since my Red Nail cert back in 2014.  Since then life has changed a lot.  A lot of good changes, but the bad is definitely there as well.  I quit my job as a union heavy equipment operator to pursuey dream of owning a gym.  I renovated a historic property and now have my gym, 4 apartments, and two commercial rental spaces.  And a massive amount of debt(the american dream lol).  My wife also became the Mayor of our city.  I believe the stress of business, debt, unhealthy weight gain, and the negativity of politics made the Psoriasis much worse.  I just started a new medication along with an anti-inflammatory diet so hopefully it will fix my hands.

I'm going to start doing easy grip work and hopefully avoid irritating my skin too much.  I'm missing multiple layers of skin on most of my fingers and palms already with just doing normal daily activities.

Day 1

Shot rotations both directions

.6kg x30

4lb x20

3kg x10

IM guide, sport, and trainer x20 reps

IM red band 3x10

I've got hand x bands on the way.  I'll be picking up a light weight sledge for front/rear lever, side rotations, and finger walks.  I might pick up a pony clamp from CPW as well.

The main focus once I have decent skin on my hands will be the #3 cert.  I would guess I'm around #125 RH and #100 LH right now.

• Like 4

For reference these are my hands after the light grip work and doing a few household chores.  Does anyone else here deal with Psoriasis?  It started with my scalp and hands around 2010.  It's gotten much worse since 2016.  It's now on my hands, scalp, ears, nose, elbows, knees, and various spots on my legs and back.

I was prescribed consyntex which fixed everywhere but my hands.  The dermatologist switched to otezla and my hands were almost completely better in 3 weeks but it didn't last and is now everywhere again.  They are now trying Tremfya.  Luckily my insurance is covering these medications because they range from $10-20k/year.

I'm currently 280+ pounds and  working my way back down to 230lbs.  Hopefully the combination of medication and anti inflammatory diet will do the trick.

IMG_20200822_134713.jpg

IMG_20200822_134721.jpg

IMG_20200822_134730.jpg

IMG_20200822_134740.jpg

• Like 1

I suffer from it too dude. It’s a side effect of my wheat allergy. When my diet it strict and I don’t get cross contaminated, my hands are better. I use a cream to treat it. I tape my set finger for grippers cause my skin break easy. I try to use as little chalk as possible cause chalk makes it worse. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Day 2

Shot rotations both directions

.6kg x30

4lb x20

3kg x10 These are pretty hard.  I don't believe my hand is big enough to use a bigger shot.  Anyone else using heavy shot for rotations.

IM guide, sport, and trainer x20 reps

Did some singles with 1, 1.5, and 2

IM red band 3x10

This morning

Reverse Hyper 3x12 50lbs

Belt squat 3x10 220

Paused Bench 170, 190, 215 x3

Lat pulldown 3x12

I've aggravated a disc in my low back according to my chiropractor.  So no barbell squats or regular deadlifts until it's better.  Picking up a 6lb sledge tomorrow.  I'll be welding some bars on the sides to add weight when necessary.

Day 3

Went through a circuit of cable machines at my gym.

Shoulder dislocates 3x10

Shot rotations both directions

.6kg x30

4lb x20

3kg x10

IM guide, sport, and trainer x20 reps

IM red band 3x10

RH #1x5, #1.5x5, #2x5, GHP5x1, HG 250x1, #2.5(127lb)x1, 

LH #1x5, #1.5x1, #1.5x5 forced closes, HG 200x5 forced closes

I'm really surprised by the #2.5 RH.  I'm currently doing all this grip training at my desk with no chalk.  Sort of makes me think my old #2.5 has gotten weaker.  I'll try new #2.5 Friday and see how it goes.  I need to get some more high 90s and low 100s for my left hand.  It's currently 25+lbs behind my right hand.

I've started to wear gloves again while I sleep.  Im letting medicated lotion absorb then applying another over the counter lotion before I put the gloves on.  It seems to be helping a little bit.