Got The Blues

EricMilfeld

Keep it up Eric!!!

I'm still struggling with my harder stock of 60d's sometimes they fold and other times I fold but my easy stuff is getting easier and easier. ;)

Jon@han

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• bender

• bballdad

• OldGuy

Thanks Jonathan. Bending a true 60D nail is an accomplishment! Have you tried a blue lately? I know what you mean by sometimes folding yourself. I did about six max and near max bends yesterday and decided to go for one last bend of that particularly tough 60D, and struggled to kink it. I was spent. I heard that Richard Sorin compared the punishment of grippers to that of deadlifting, but I would submit that maybe bending needs to be considered for this analogy. Anyways, I do seem able to bend every three days, though. I get real antsy if I have to delay any longer between workouts.

Eric the first time I tried the ironmind stock was at Rick's contest. It was very humbling the stock I had been using is alot more cooperative to being bent. Since then I found the stock at the local Metal Supermarket to be just as tough if not tougher. The hard 60d's I have are more difficult then this 1/4" stock. I try to limit my big bending to one day a week but it seems I end up doing extra sessions inbetween as well.

Jon@han

Sometimes the fourth time is the charm. I decided to bend the hardest of my 60 D's last night, or die trying. After failing to budge the 310-320 pound nail three times over the course of several hours, I had become quite aggitated with the stubborn piece of steel. So I got real positive in attitude, and psyched up like I was going for a big deadlift, and finally put that nail in a pike position. That's what I'm really starting to appreciate about bending: the fact that, like deadlifts, if you dig deep enough and want it like the world depended upon it, your performance is kicked up a few notches. I think that grade 5 and 205 kilo challenge bar are right around the corner. Aaaahhh, all those wasted years of my life spent... not bending! :laugh

Dang Eric! You got the toughest nail I sent you to a 90 degree bend? Those things are tough! Bye, have to go train to catch up. :D Chris

Eric

Nice work on your bending progress :bow

A word of caution i have been trying to equal or pass my bending PB,s every workout,trying maximum bends instead of sometimes more volume and have just paid the price,i have injured my wrist big time,cannot even type with my right hand after 3 days of rest.

I was so over ega to break my pb each workout insted of once a week that i paid the price,i got a pb the day before but was not happy with that i got greedy.I did the same injurie the previous week only minor but did not listen to my body,this plus the added EGO injured me,so i will probably be out of bending for a while then a slow build back up.

Man i am so pissed off :blush But hey i did 2 PBS in 2 days and i will come back STRONGER.

Sorry to hear about the injury, Gazza. Nothing is more defeating than a bad injury, but it does give you time to cool off and focus on other things.

Heres a note for other benders:

It is very common for a begining bender to bend that 7" length of 1/4" steel, and then try a 6.5" piece immediatly.  The thrill of bending stronger and shorter "nails" is addictive and is very fun to do.  This is where my third point comes in, take your time and advance slowly.

If you perfected your dead lift, would you start throwing on 25lb plates and try to max out again?  No, you'd increase slowly by 5 lbs or so each work out, and gradualy build your strength.

The same needs to go for 1/4" steel.  Take your time.  On that first work out, bend 1 or 2 of the 7" bars, and call it a day.  Even if it's easy, stop and do not progress to shorter bars.  Wait until the next work out, and try a 6+7/8" bar 1 or 2 times.  Then, each work out , either increase the number of bars bent, or decrease the length by an 1/8" inch. 

Slowly, over time, you will work down to a 6" or 5" bar. It may very well be so that you can bend a 6" bar on the first work out, but your hand won't be ready for it! Then, you'll keep trying that length or harder steel with out the correct total hand strength to do it correctly.  This will cause many minor injuries, and will result in a major injury.

You see, muscle grows relativly quick, but tendons take time to strengthen.  If you have the smarts and dicipline to progress by 1/8", you will build the tendon and ligament base to allow you to progress as a serious bender.  Then, you can take on harder steel, and be ready for it, instead of taking it on too early with more insane-o-intensity than tendon strength.

Eric(Bender)

Insano intensity :blush Yep that was me.

Even tho injured i am still tho pissed off very focused and positive and some of those challenge bars will be going down :D

It works fine. In fact, it's encouraged... after you develop the nessesary hand strength specific to bending. I believe you quite obviously have this level of hand strength. :D

Strength and Intensity must be ballanced, and the ego can't be allowed to push you into injury before the body is ready.

Dang Eric! You got the toughest nail I sent you to a 90 degree bend? Those things are tough! Bye, have to go train to catch up. :D Chris

Correction, Chris. I managed a full "U" bend with two of the toughies.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury also, Gazza. I've got to watch it. My common sense is telling me something contrary to my ego at times, as well.

Eric, I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. :bow:bow

Really good job man! You have been making some kind of progress in your bending. I'm really motivated to catch you now. Chris

Thanks Chris. I too am surprised by my progress. I finishing a set of benches a few minutes ago, and got one of those crazy urges. I grabbed a 205 challenge bar I had braced down to about 30 degrees, wrapped her up, and finished her off! Won't be long now.

I grabbed a 205 challenge bar I had braced down to about 30 degrees, wrapped her up, and finished her off! Won't be long now

Yeah !!!! Well done Eric ! You'll soon join the 200kgs club !

Amaury.

What a difference two days can make: I bent the 205 kilo bar for the first time tonight without bracing.

Can I have a SKU for these timber ties?

You may want to pose your question in the bending forum. I purchased my TT's by the pound, and don't have access to the SKU currently, but if nothing else I can check on it the next time I visit Home Depot.