Got The Blues

EricMilfeld

My First Sergeant has a nice camera, I'll see if I can get a grade-5 video and something like a back-to-back-to-back med-hard 60D bend.

I was going to wait so I could post them all after I lifted The Blob, so I could have a #3, Blob, and Grade-5 video all up at once... but that Blob is a beast.

----

I just noticed I joined the GripBoard 1 year ago last sunday. At the time I could barely close the #2, and just four days earlier bent my first Timber Tie. Wow. I can't imagine what 9 more years will do.

Thanks, GripBoard!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• bender

• bballdad

• OldGuy

When I last spoke to John Brookfield he mentioned he uses gloves for his marathon sessions. 250 nails barehanded? I tend to doubt that.

Thanks for the info. That makes much more sense indeed. 250 really isn't logical, but with Brookfield, it's hard to doubt him.

That is some awesome progress there bender in a year!! :bow:bow

Look forward to seeing that video soon I hope!! Do a bend in slow mention describing what you are doing. Like on your how-to bend a nail page. I'm a little slow and have to study and see the technique actually being done. Kinda wish we had a bending forum here just on bending. And all you great benders could maybe show their different techniques. Kinda an instructional section for us newbie benders to follow. You know like "Bending for Dummies" but on video!!

I finnished the rest of my nails during this last marathon bending session, so I went to Lowes to re-stock. I picked up 30lbs of Timber Ties and 50lbs of 60D's. It will hopefully last a while...

Anyway, this new box of Timber Ties is insultingly easy! My old timber ties were some what of a challenge, but these new ones are like rubber. Even when they bend, they bend into a big soft "U" instead of a hard tight "V". It's sad. It takes the meaning out of any further marathon bending sessions. Coat hanger wire.

My strength-challenged buddy who likes to try Timber Ties and has bent a half dozen even said they were "Half as hard". Man, what a let down.

------

Upon further inspection, these new Timber Ties are noticably thinner than the old ones! Light weight, thin...

Hate to hear that about the timber ties bender. How were the 60d's?

They should last you along time!

My bending is inching along slowly but surely. After a five day rest, I bent for a new PR a 1/4 x 5 3/4 HRS rod two days ago. It came out nice and symmetrical this time.

I just got a reply to an e-mail from John Brookfield.

He said he bent 500 using a shop-rag to protect his hands. Time 1:40. :bow

That's a 60D every 12 seconds for 6,000 seconds.

That's a 60D every 12 seconds for 6,000 seconds.

Totally unreal! He definitely is a man of phenomenal strength, and endurance!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm finally getting into my bending groove. I'm attacking the nails every sixth day, for three to five max, or near max bends. And of course I've learned to warmup a bit better. I'll start with a light set of benches and bent over rows, followed by a timber tie bend. It's working great. I managed a new PR today: a 5 3/8 inch blue! I even had a little bit of untapped strength remaining after this.

Eric,

I find myself working barbell exercises inbetween sets of all my grip activities including bending. Although lately on my pure bending days I've only been doing calf work and partial shoulder presses. I think it was Heath that offered the suggestion of working grip work inbetween barbell work and for the most part I've kept the habit up.

Great bend BTW :rock

Jon@han

Eric-what style do you use while bending? Im still experimenting with different styles, still not sure which one is my stongest. I actually like bending like brookfield but also want to get my unbraced bend up also. Its alot of fun and addictive. Thanks-Austin

holy shit Eric we got the blue today you sent, are they 6" long when you buy them or did you cut them. And I did bend one but braced.

Thanks guys. I'm surprising myself with my rapid progress.

Austin- I've adopted the style used by Terminator. Take a look at his video of the bolt bend. I also follow his rules of bending, seen in the new bending forum. My short term goal (I hope it's short term!) is to certify with David Horne's 200 kilo challenge bar.

Strong Man- You received the nails just as I received them from Iron Mind. Take a hammer to those sharp edges! Congrats on that braced bend! Only two weeks ago the blue took all I had to bend, even at six inches!

ohhhhhh ok there pretty hard, harder than i though they were, well i have some big nails that are 8" long and 5/16 thick i'll try and bend them braced and see what happens.

Eric, great job man! Keep cutting them things down. It only gets better! As you get better do more volume with less days off. Helped me alot. Be safe!

I appreciate the advice Steve. I guess I'll wait till progress slows, and then incorporate more volume more often. I love this phase of making progress by leaps and bounds every workout, when you train a new exercise for the first time :D

Yahooo! I considered Bender53's advice and tried some bending this morning, only three days after my last workout. Based on my performance, perhaps I can bend this often. I beat my PR by a full 1/4", with a bend of a 5 1/8" blue nail. On the downside though, my other grip disciplines have plummeted. I've been training the other lifts as usual, but apparently bending is so stressful on all of the hand and wrist muscles and tendons, that it steals the show. Oh well, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, cuz I LOVE BENDING!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Making baby steps. Improved my PR today by 1/16" with a blue bend of 5 1/16". They ain't lyin when they say that half of the task is being able to endure the pain. Ouchhh! Makes you feel tough when you've conquered.

Great progress on the blue Eric!! Wow!

I tried one last night a blue! Tough for me! lol

I put a good bend in it just not far enough to crush down.

I think after elbow gets 100% I'll do a little better.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Caffery sent me four different bundles of 60D nails. The first and second were rated at 280-290 pounds, the third at 290-300 pounds, and the hardest at 310-320 pounds. When I first received them back in September, I couldn't bend the easiest, and today I bent the 290-300 pounder with not quite a maximal effort. Feels good!

Edited by EricMilfeld

Eric, sounds like you can start cutting down them 60ds. Then when you go back to the blues you will get them shorter than 5'' for sure. You are getting stronger fast!!!

I'm taking your advice about increasing volume and frequency, Steve, although not to the extent you practice. :blink:whacked So far it's workin. ;)