Got The Blues

EricMilfeld

Alright, let's analyze the crush down and the muscles involved. Going from bender's photo sequence the first picture in section #5.

What's happening with the shoulder joint here? Adduction of the glenohumeral (shoulder) joint. Muscles involved pectoralis major (upper and lower fibers), latissimus dorsi, teres major (a.k.a. "lats little helper"), subscapularis, triceps brachii, and coracobrachialis. The latissimus dorsi, pectoralis major, and teres major are gonna be the big boys of adducting the humerus.

Supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, and the subscapularis (rotator cuff) are gonna help stabilize the humeral head in the glenoid fossa.

What's happening with the shoulder girdle (scapula & clavicle)? Retraction or adduction of the scapula (shoulder blade). The scapula is fixed in adduction when the muscles of the shoulder joint adduct. Muscles involved are the trapezius and rhomboids major/minor. The muscles of the shoulder girdle are essential in providing a scapula stabilizing effect so the muscles of the shoulder joint can have a stable base from which to exert force. The shoulder girdle muscles contract to maintain a static postion during many shoulder joint actions. Ever heard the analogy, "shooting a a cannon from a canoe".

These are the main muscles involved in my analyzing the second part of the crush down from bender's photo sequence.

Now go bend some steel. :blink

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• bender

• bballdad

• OldGuy

Bender what would you say a cut 5 1/2" timber tie would be in lbs to bend and a 5"? Also I'm experiencing tendonitis in my left elbow from bending and bending seems to kill my crush. Does bending effect your work very much with the grippers?

Eric Great job with the bending. :rock

Eric Great job with the bending.  :rock

Thank you. I too plan on cutting the timbers.

One problem I'm experiencing is producing a "U" with one of the legs longer than the other, despite my attempts to center the nail in my hands. This means I'm wasting a lot of much needed leverage.

Oh, and Chris, :rock:bow

Edited by EricMilfeld

I use a pneumatic cut off wheel at work to cut my nails and cut the head and the point off the nail. That usually puts them right around 5 1/2".

Then I spray paint em to keep up with them and the different sizes. lol

Eric M no doubt you'll smoke the cut TT!! How much harder was the 1/4" hrs steel that you bent than the TT. :rock

I've nver cut a TT, and just moved onto 1/4" HRS. I'd assume 5.5 = about 230, and 5.0 = about 260 or so. I'm really not sure. Anyone else measure a bent Timber Tie?

For mixing the workouts, I would say grippers and bending have very little carry over. The only time I've noticed this is when attempting big bends, and my fatigued forearms cramp up from too much gripper work as a warm up.

I guess also that sore knuckles from bending can be agravated with grippers. Besides that, there isn't that much of a conflict.

But bending alone, there's never any pain, besides my wrists and hands.

That is because you have good technique! I only feel it in my shoulders when I am trying too hard and I lose my form. I felt a few twinges on Monday when i was trying to bend a 9"x5/16" piece of CRS, and got stuck at ~10 degrees. If I am doing a bend correctly, it is all wrists until I switch over for the crush down.

Robert

Perhaps this is horrible advice, or great advice, but this is why I preach about high volume bending. After your 10th consecutive day of bending, you're body is so sore that you are forced to use THE BEST technique possible to avoid pain. After doing this enough, you start to naturaly find the ideal groove for your body. Then, when you recover completely, the strength is much higher, but now you have better technique. It worked for me.

Also, Jonathan's quote is very true, "There's a fine line between hobby and mental illness". Dedication is key.

How much harder was the 1/4" hrs steel that you bent than the TT. :rock

Considerably! The timber nails require about 85% effort, the HRS of the same length took all I had. The blue to me feels like a #4 gripper :laugh

The overall thickness of a TT nail maybe the same , but there is less metal than in a standard 60 D nail, so they are much easier to bend.

Gee, thanks for bursting my bubble, John. Actually, I noticed the same thing with spirals having less substance, due to the fluted spirals. Though I really wish I could have gone on in denial.

Try blowing a fresh bubble! I now have a digital micrometer. All of my 60D actual nails, measured .263''. My HRS 1/4'' steel and my Ironmind blues and yellows measured .247. So a difference of .016" . Any more bursting of bubbles?

Try blowing a fresh bubble! I now have a digital micrometer. All of my 60D actual nails, measured .263''. My HRS 1/4'' steel and my Ironmind blues and yellows measured .247. So a difference of .016" . Any more bursting of bubbles?

Okay. That explains why I've been unable to bend my actual 60D nail thus far. It's oversized! But wait, you mean my blues and HRS are both undersized?

I just dumped the rest of the bubbles down the drain.

The consistency of nails seems to be that of grippers :laugh

Just bent a Blue that ended up with one side 5/8'' longer than the other. That has to be harder than getting the bend right in the center. I almost never bend a nail evenly.

Bent 5 timber ties back to back and was wore out. Bender awesome job on 20 in 20 minutes!!! :bow Got wore out bending spike style and actually tried your style bender to finish the last two.

Good job Old Guy on that blue!! :bow I never bend exactly in the middle of the nail either.

Thanks again bender for the advice on the timber ties. They are the perfect nail

for me to practice bending..

Just bent a Blue that ended up with one side 5/8'' longer than the other. That has to be harder than getting the bend right in the center. I almost never bend a nail evenly.

It's seems tricky getting a symetrical bend when the nail is wrapped up in a rag. More often than not, mine are resembling a "J". How short of a blue have you bent, John?

Timber Ties are awsome. Tell your friends. Just hard enough to be a challenge, but easy enough to be easy. And they come in a 30lb bucket. What more can you ask for? The best part is that it's still easy enough for Mr. 450lb bench to bend after a 5 minute vein poping effort, adn then you can crush one in seconds while carring on a casual conversation about how easy the nail is. :D Wait, I'll bend one now, while typing with my nose.jjithu (<-- actualy done with nose, while bending a TT!) LOL! :laugh

Off centered bends. It seems that all of my TT bends are nearly symetric, every time. Most 60D's are too, but as the nails get harder they start to get off center. Logic would say the opposite would be true. I think with easier steel you can use technique to finess the nail into a "U", but with harder steel you are using so much effort that you don't have the same feel and control, so you have the potential for misdirecting energy and losing the feel of the nail.

I'm motivated this AM. Time for a "Tom Black Style" Bendathon! I'll Edit in my results when finished. Goal: 25 in under 20 minutes.

-------

Result: 30 Timber Ties in 11:48. My God, my hands hurt. :D The "slight discomfort" is incredible. My hands feel like they're on fire. I can hardly type. I do think I broke my PR.

I also believe I can bend more. It all comes down to how many people you have wrapping and unwrapping nails. I had a Private do the wraping, but two would work a lot better.

New Goal: 50 in under 20. It can be done.

Once again, John Brookfield bent 250 REAL 60D's, consecutivly.

Yes, his were barehanded. Unfathomable. :whacked

I would like to know how long it took him. Did he have short breaks? Did he protect his hands in anyway at all? Did he do one a minute for over 4 hours? I'd like to know his tempo. Just crushing 20 60D's bare handed would be enough for the experienced bender. Wow.

Wow! Good job bender with the 30 TT!!! :bow I can't begin to imagine that!

Like I said 5 wore me out. My hands still feel it from Saturday. :yikes

Would really like to see a video of you bending on here sometime. Catch some of the finer points of how you bend. I need all the help I can get bro!!

Would really like to see a video of you bending on here sometime. Catch some of the finer points of how you bend. I need all the help I can get bro!!

I second that. A nice close up video would be great.

Great performance with the TT's, Bender!