Different pinch grip

Guest Must crush

Guest Must crush

During the PT I went to for a finger fracture, they had me doing various grip rehab, mostly using those independent-finger Dynagrip (?) things. Anyway, one of the exercises was something called a "side pinch," which was pinching the gripper between the thumb and the side of the curled index finger. I know that pinch gripping usually means working the thumb against the fingers so as to be able to pinch grip plates and rafters and such, but does anyone train a side pinch like this?

I'm interested because it seems like there's some martial application there; like tearing skin after a thumb strike. :o

Not to mention getting zippers unstuck :)

I think the MD's call that particular pinch "key pinch" and there are norms for what the average male/female can exert on this. I have data for key pinch, palmar pinch and index pinch if anyone's interested.

They use some specialized devices. From the pictures they look like key fobs. I suppose using a TTK could yield comparable results though. Who wants to spend a couple of hundred bucks if they can avoid it.

I got to thinking about something similar recently at home.  I was standing up and eating my dinner for some reason.  I had a fork in one hand and a heavily loaded plate in the other.  I had the same type of grip on the plate as you guys are talking about, and after a few minutes my hand was getting pretty tired, especially the thumb.  

Maybe a person could use some thin metal plate instead of a real plate, and load it with some small weights.  It should be a great alternative to pinch grips for the thumb, and good exercise for the hand, wrist, and forearm in general.    

Because my CoC takes pride of place hanging up by my bed I often pull it off the wall and play around with different grips.  I have tryed that in the past with the CoC but obviously that is to tough and gains would be impossible.  The idea of using a thin piece of metal though is a good one and would also have the added bonus of being cheap to make.  Because of the reletivly small amounts of weight needed, a system like what Must Crush suggested in another post of using sand would work nicely.

I have begun to perform this exercise regularly a few weeks ago.  I simply pinch the strap that I have made for COC strapholds.  I'd be interested in your data, Roger, if you'd like to share it.

BC.

The various kinds of grip putty work well for this, too. After reading Must Crush's initial post, I started fiddling with the hard green stuff rock climbers use. Nice range of motion, doesn't jar the joint, and if you keep your thumb straight (which I assume you'll want to do anyway to get maximum benefit from this exercise), it's quite a workout to *fully* close the thumb against the side of the finger. No doubt in my mind that this is going to improve my strength for other grip work.

David

Guest Must crush

If you can't find the good putty, just the "runnier" stuff, mix in an "egg" or two of Silly Putty. It's the same silicon-based putty, just a different grade of stiffness.

Thanks for the link Roger.  Interesting stuff.  I also found it interesting that the key pinch lefty increases by more than one pound from the 25-29 to the 30-34 bracket, while the right hand actually begins its decline starting with the 30-34 bracket.  Being a 29 year old lefty, at least I can look forward to improving one of my lifts ;)

BC.