RGC vs Manufacture Ratings?

eman

I know this is a age old topic but I couldn't find the answer searching through old threads?

On my youtube feed tonight was a video of Joe Rogan talking about how he smashed a 167lbs COC gripper and for half a sec I was like Holy Crap! Then it dawned on me to look it up and he is referring to the 1.5  (So now I don't feel so bad ..lol)

I wish manufactures including Iron Mind would standardize or drop the lbs rating entirely when it is no where near what the RGC rating would be. I've got a 250lbs Heavy Grip I can close and a GG4 rated at 113 that I am a few mm away from shutting. I haven't picked up a gripper for 5 years until this month and today when my rated gripper came in the mail I had to eat some real humble pie for sure! Father time is catching up fast.

My question is how do they get this ridiculous ratings?

This happens in every industry, each manufacturer comes up with their own rating systems mostly for marketing reasons. It only gets standardized if an industry is very large and that will never happen for grippers. You even see silly stuff like power ratings for a tool that are higher than what an outlet is even capable of delivering, it's total anarchy. 

8 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

This happens in every industry, each manufacturer comes up with their own rating systems mostly for marketing reasons. It only gets standardized if an industry is very large and that will never happen for grippers. You even see silly stuff like power ratings for a tool that are higher than what an outlet is even capable of delivering, it's total anarchy. 

Agree.  Also the main benefit of ratings is they are a measurement taken AFTER manufacturing. Even if Heavy Grips went back and used ratings instead of foot-pound estimates for the springs, it doesn’t change the motivation to rate any singular HG after manufacturing to see if it’s hard/average/easy or useful in your training set. 

• Like 1