Bending 576 60d nails: 50lb box: Don Cummings

Donc101

I bent a 50lb box of 60d nails this morning. 576 nails in 2 hours and 29 minutes. I am beat. I will post more about it later. Here are some pics.

9DFC2575-DED6-4781-A502-08D8B24245FF.jpeg

496E2561-3E9E-415B-AAB1-4952D9F13284.jpeg

C24A7A61-EEF2-4530-BF72-FB8C61AD96B1.jpeg

D76E5D2D-4C06-4D52-853E-200290C40AE9.jpeg

26D38861-1C11-40B0-B5D7-67FF212A2AE1.jpeg

A7B71A35-23DB-402D-AAF0-4AB070EEA6B6.jpeg

27A6C69A-2662-446A-8F68-3A6E4EE346F3.jpeg

• Like 16

Fantastic!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Fantastic!

11 minutes ago, Horrido said:

Always Impressed by your feats Don! Great work!

Thanks Nate and Jan!

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Amazing work Don. You're relentless! :bow

Thank you! This was a fun one. I am sore today all over.

Incredible! What an amazing feat.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Briso said:

Brilliant achievement don and great photos also!!!!! 😃

4 hours ago, AcroBend said:

Incredible! What an amazing feat.

Thank you both very much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Briso said:

Brilliant achievement don and great photos also!!!!! 😃

100% this! Among everything else, @Donc101 always provides aesthetically pleasing photo composition. 

• Like 2

Here is a detailed write-up of the feat:

I have been wanting to bend a whole 50lb box of 60d nails ever since I read about John Brookfield doing it.  There is not tons of information out there about when John did it. I emailed him and asked about his feat. He responded and said lets talk on the phone. I had a great 30 minute conversation with him. Very nice guy. He bent a 50lb box on 3 different occasions. The first was at a Highlands Game competition is Kentucky. The other 2 times were in a Walmart. He was set up and just bending as people walked by. That would have been great to see. He said the boxes had around 525 nails.  He said none of his feats were recorded. He did not have exact times they took. They were not recognized as official records. He wore golfers gloves and used some type of padding on the nails themselves too. He seemed excited that I was going to attempt his feat and encouraged me.

I did the training similar to how I trained for my other big endurance feats. I ramped up the number of bends I did each week, topping out at about 50% of feat day. I did 50 then the next week 125 then the next week 250. The 250 tore my hands, which I was happy with because my hands then healed with good callouses. The 250 was done 9 days before the scheduled feat day.  While I was training, I realized that shoulder endurance would be critical. Thus, the couple of weeks before the feat I did high rep Indian club work and other shoulder work to build up endurance.

Amir Bayour and Chris Stilwell came over to help. We worked together like an assembly line. It was very efficient and helped me bend faster. Amir would put the new nails in a set of wraps. We had 4 sets of leather pads pre-wrapped so he could just stick the nail in the pads. Chris would re-wrap as necessary. Chris also measured all nails to make sure they were within 2 inches and kept track of how many nails I had bent on a pad of paper.  Amir’s girlfriend, Kelly, took tons of great photos. My wife and kids also checked out the action.  My 3 year old daughter kept laughing at me and saying I looked like Santa Claus because my neck and shirt were covered in chalk and white.

The box weighed 51.5 pounds and had 576 nails in it. These were some times that Chris jotted down as we went:

• 100 Nails in 20 minutes and 59 seconds
  • 273 nails in 1 hour
  • 300 nails in 1 hour and 6 minutes
  • 355 nails in 1 hour and 20 minutes
  • 392 nails in 1 hour and 30 minutes
  • 400 nails in 1 hour and 32 minutes
  • 485 nails in 2 hours
  • 504 nails in 2 hours and 6 minutes
  • 576 nails in 2 hours, 29 minutes and 28 seconds

My hands started tearing up at 200 and were pretty bad by the end. Also, friction burns all over my chest and under my chin from my hands rubbing on them. I wore 3 t-shirts to help with this but still got lots of burns. I also shaved, because I learned in training its not good to have all that rubbing pulling facial hair. My hands and forearms got quite a pump. Also, my chest muscles started spasming a bit at the end from all the crushing. My low back got quite fatigued too. My whole body is quite sore today still. 

After the box was bent, Amir and Chris did some great bending with the Horrido Bending bolts.  My bending was done and I just enjoyed watching them bend some tough steel.

Thanks for checking out my steel bending feat.

Don Cummings

• Like 9

I forgot to mention, Chris gave me this great Gold show hammer he made as a congrats gift. The hammer head has a very cool shape that I have not seen before. The head is stamped that it weighs 13 pounds. I am very thankful and grateful for the hammer.  Here is a pic of the hammer and Chris, Amir and I in action.

8E3DE9AB-0FD7-4BAD-91B9-E073027C6F98.jpeg

12A482DD-E3AA-4049-88A4-DFC34C0E5164.jpeg

B9B31830-9E2D-4047-BB7D-8BE10EFB5D3E.jpeg

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

I have been wanting to bend a whole 50lb box of 60d nails ever since I read about John Brookfield doing it.  There is not tons of information out there about when John did it. I emailed him and asked about his feat. He responded and said lets talk on the phone. I had a great 30 minute conversation with him. Very nice guy. He bent a 50lb box on 3 different occasions. The first was at a Highlands Game competition is Kentucky. The other 2 times were in a Walmart. He was set up and just bending as people walked by. That would have been great to see. He said the boxes had around 525 nails.  He said none of his feats were recorded. He did not have exact times they took. They were not recognized as official records. He wore golfers gloves and used some type of padding on the nails themselves too. He seemed excited that I was going to attempt his feat and encouraged me.

I did the training similar to how I trained for my other big endurance feats. I ramped up the number of bends I did each week, topping out at about 50% of feat day. I did 50 then the next week 125 then the next week 250. The 250 tore my hands, which I was happy with because my hands then healed with good callouses. The 250 was done 9 days before the scheduled feat day.  While I was training, I realized that shoulder endurance would be critical. Thus, the couple of weeks before the feat I did high rep Indian club work and other shoulder work to build up endurance.

Amir Bayour and Chris Stilwell came over to help. We worked together like an assembly line. It was very efficient and helped me bend faster. Amir would put the new nails in a set of wraps. We had 4 sets of leather pads pre-wrapped so he could just stick the nail in the pads. Chris would re-wrap as necessary. Chris also measured all nails to make sure they were within 2 inches and kept track of how many nails I had bent on a pad of paper.  Amir’s girlfriend, Kelly, took tons of great photos. My wife and kids also checked out the action.  My 3 year old daughter kept laughing at me and saying I looked like Santa Claus because my neck and shirt were covered in chalk and white.

The box weighed 51.5 pounds and had 576 nails in it. These were some times that Chris jotted down as we went:

• 273 nails in 1 hour
  • 485 nails in 2 hours

My hands started tearing up at 200 and were pretty bad by the end. Also, friction burns all over my chest and under my chin from my hands rubbing on them. I wore 3 t-shirts to help with this but still got lots of burns. I also shaved, because I learned in training its not good to have all that rubbing pulling facial hair. My hands and forearms got quite a pump. Also, my chest muscles started spasming a bit at the end from all the crushing. My low back got quite fatigued too. My whole body is quite sore today still. 

After the box was bent, Amir and Chris did some great bending with the Horrido Bending bolts.  My bending was done and I just enjoyed watching them bend some tough steel.

Don Cummings

Love the write up.  Great info ty!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Great feat and write-up!

Thank you very much! Have a great day.

22 hours ago, Donc101 said:

• 273 nails in 1 hour
  • 485 nails in 2 hours

Don Cummings

Appreciate the details of the feat! Especially the data. Some quick math puts you at:

- 4.6 nails/min over the 1st hour.

- 3.5 nails/min over the 2nd hour.

- 3.1 nails/min over the last ~30 minutes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AcroBend said:

Appreciate the details of the feat! Especially the data. Some quick math puts you at:

- 4.6 nails/min over the 1st hour.

- 3.5 nails/min over the 2nd hour.

- 3.1 nails/min over the last ~30 minutes.

5 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

That's a nail every 15.6 seconds. I was wondering how you'd have time to wrap and tally. Great support network and bending community out there. 

Thanks for working out that math! It was fun and great to have Amir and Chris there helping. We have a good group of guys bending here in Michigan. 

Don, great achievement!  Looks crazy-painful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

20200811_173630.jpg.a33d0706541341d952bfb4dcad4cb9c7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Thanks Carl! It was a fun one I have wanted to do for a long time. Hands took a beating and body was sore all over. Tough but good. Chris and Amir were awesome.

@anwnate, I need that hair for my next feat!

• Haha 1

Just amazing don. Your passion and work ethic is truly inspirational. You’re an absolute beast dude 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

Just amazing don. Your passion and work ethic is truly inspirational. You’re an absolute beast dude 

Thanks so much Chez! You know how it is when you are addicted to something. 

• Like 1

Great work and impressive as always Don! 
Thanks for the detailed write up, nice to see your thought process for training for such a feat. Well done 

• Like 1