Trying to kill off some grip feats...

Weakman

55 minutes ago, Lennix said:

If it's possible I would like to see a video from you trying. Hit me up on any Facebook/Instagram (Thom Fingalsson /Thomlennix) For a chat! Where do live, perhaps there's cheaper ways for you to get training steel.

I'm trying to find a video on what I did, else I'll record it myself.

Thank you Lennix, I did film last time this was on the agenda, in July or August. Sadly I think technique is the same. I need somewere to upload it. Anyways, I will reconnect with you on another media shortly. 

7 hours ago, Weakman said:

Apologies guys for keeping you hanging here for a half a year, really appreciate your inputs! I did try to experimente on my setup, wrap distance, were I keep the bar and etc. but not really successful. I burnt through my 200 nails a couple of months back but I was not able to get any movement on the red nail. I also got the weakest bolt from Horrido but even If it is "beginners bar", "everyone can start here" I was only able to get a kink on it over maybe 10 sessions.

Both of you mention mobility, do you have any particular exercises och do's in mind? If I recall Lennix, you did a lot mobility training in your log, but not specifying what you actually did. Or are you consider ordinary strechting?

Did ask for a shipping quote today for another 200 nails, lets see if I can afford that and then I will pick this up again.

The 4.8 bolt really isn't a beginners bolt. It's harder than a 1/4 grade 5 at the same length. Actually significantly harder. It's harder than a 152 mm long G5 when it's 180 mm long.

Not sure why Jan labeled it as beginners bolt. Because it really isn't. Maybe beginners for people who want to start doing certifications. That label I could agree with. So don't feel bad if you can't bend it.

Here's a video which shows some rotator cuff exercises you can do with rubber bands. You can do all of these in cable machines as well. Vid is in swedish but all the exercises are demonstrated so it's easy to understand.

There's a whole bunch of other mobility execises you can do, problem is that I don't know what even half of them are called...

One good I know the name of is wall slides. Where you stand with your back against a wall and put your arms up above your head then slide your arms downs as far as you can while keeping the forearms and elbows against the wall. The further down you can go the better your mobility will get. It's a stretching exercise so you should go slow and you should never cheat while doing it. If you suck, you suck, just means you have to train more. This will help a lot with the mobility and it will also help with mobility for doing back squats with a straight barbell.

There's a bunch you can do with sledge hammers as well, unfortunately I don't know the name of any of them.

Another good thing to increase mobility for DO bending is to practice with longer bars. Using easier longer bars will help you get in position easier when you go back to shorter bars. I use them as warm up. If I want to bend 180 mm bars I might warm up with 200-225 mm bars. Then working myself down to shorter length for the workout.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 5:07 PM, Fist of Fury said:

The 4.8 bolt really isn't a beginners bolt. It's harder than a 1/4 grade 5 at the same length. Actually significantly harder. It's harder than a 152 mm long G5 when it's 180 mm long.

Not sure why Jan labeled it as beginners bolt. Because it really isn't. Maybe beginners for people who want to start doing certifications. That label I could agree with. So don't feel bad if you can't bend it.

Here's a video which shows some rotator cuff exercises you can do with rubber bands. You can do all of these in cable machines as well. Vid is in swedish but all the exercises are demonstrated so it's easy to understand.

There's a whole bunch of other mobility execises you can do, problem is that I don't know what even half of them are called...

One good I know the name of is wall slides. Where you stand with your back against a wall and put your arms up above your head then slide your arms downs as far as you can while keeping the forearms and elbows against the wall. The further down you can go the better your mobility will get. It's a stretching exercise so you should go slow and you should never cheat while doing it. If you suck, you suck, just means you have to train more. This will help a lot with the mobility and it will also help with mobility for doing back squats with a straight barbell.

There's a bunch you can do with sledge hammers as well, unfortunately I don't know the name of any of them.

Another good thing to increase mobility for DO bending is to practice with longer bars. Using easier longer bars will help you get in position easier when you go back to shorter bars. I use them as warm up. If I want to bend 180 mm bars I might warm up with 200-225 mm bars. Then working myself down to shorter length for the workout.

Lots of information, thank you! Already started on some mobility training but holy moly, I´m a fridge! Language is no problem. 

As you stated, I think Jans intention is that it is a beginners bar for certs, not beginners bar for bending. The frustrating part is that he is one of few european suppliers, but still I cant buy anything from there. Enough wine now though.

I see you guys bending a lot of rebars, I´ll get some and try but I only found 8 mm as smallest. Not sure if I can do that but soon I know. I guess this it what you referring to as longer easier bars?

8 minutes ago, Weakman said:

Lots of information, thank you! Already started on some mobility training but holy moly, I´m a fridge! Language is no problem. 

As you stated, I think Jans intention is that it is a beginners bar for certs, not beginners bar for bending. The frustrating part is that he is one of few european suppliers, but still I cant buy anything from there. Enough wine now though.

I see you guys bending a lot of rebars, I´ll get some and try but I only found 8 mm as smallest. Not sure if I can do that but soon I know. I guess this it what you referring to as longer easier bars?

If you have Bauhaus in your country they have eveything you need (5.5 nails, 6mm nails and 7mm nails) :) 8mm Rebar is like a Horrido A2 with a harder kink.

Edited by Lennix

6/1

FG chins - Pretty good. Got some pain in my forearm when doing chins on thickbar, hope its go away.

10 10 10 6 6

RH curls

3 set

7/1

Levering - Very easy due to forearm.

8/1

CoC #3 (155) 

LH: 1 

RH: 1

Cobalt (161) - Crap, since 155 was so easy I though this would be no problem. 

LH: 0

RH: 0

CoC #3 (155) 20 mm block 

LH: 1 0 0 

RH: 1 0 1

CoC #3 (152) 20 mm block - Getting really comfortable with 152 again, nice!

LH: 1 1 2 1

RH: 3 3 2 3

9/1

RH - Just eager to lift. No plan.

L: 60 kg x 1 1 1 1

H: 60 kg x 1 1 1 1

11/1

CoC #3 (152) 20 mm block - Solid. Slow and camera friendly closes.

LH: 1 1 1

RH: 1 1 1

CoC #2.5 (132) 20 mm block - Suppose to be easy but not really.

LH: 8 8 6 

RH: 4 4 3

Comments: Shit, that Cobalt don't wanna close again but otherwise RH grippers is going strong. Asap I get a nice close on video for 155 MM0 is home. LH is is better than last months but still not up to speed.

9 hours ago, Weakman said:

8 mm rebar will be too hard for you at this point.

Try this progression if you can find it:

6 mm stainless steel (round)
8 mm hot rolled steel (round)
1/4 grade 5/ 6 mm grade 8.8 bolts
7 mm nails
7.6 mm nails
Horrido 4.8 bolt
2 x 6 mm nails taped together
8 mm hot rolled steel (square)
1/4 grade 8 / 6 mm grade 10.9 & 12.9 bolts / Horrido A4 bolt
Horrido A2 bolt
8 mm rebar
Red Nail
8 mm cold rolled steel (round) (totally depends on the kind here, can be easier than a 1/4 G8 bolt or they can be a lot harder than a Red nail, David Horne sells a large range of rated 8 mm round steel)
8 mm grade 8.8 bolts (easier kind)
8 mm stainless steel (round)
8 mm cold rolled steel (hex)
Then proceed to harder kinds of grade 8.8 bolts etc, maybe a stainless hex steel can work here as well. Until you can bend the Horrido 8.8 which is on the harder side.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything. You can experiment with hex and square steel as well but usually they are harder to find.

DO bending is a bit complex, the progression might be very different for different people, because it totally depends where your weak and strong points are. It's just like lifting weights, you can have weakness and strengths in different areas. Since different type of steel bends differently your progression will depend completely on what your strengths are.

You biggest weakness right now is the kink, since your mobility is bad. You need to work on that several times a week and do light bends to get the right technique down. With light I really mean light, same type of light as a 10 kg dumbbell is to curl, but do it with perfect technique like a bodybuilder would curl. If you bend the easy bars with the wrong technique it will not help you anything when progressing to harder bars.
Once you get the hang of the technique and as your mobility increases you will start to make progress much faster. The hardest part with DO bending is to get it going if you don't have the technique. I know becuase I've been there. I could only bend 5 mm steel when I started, and even that was a challenge.

After you've learned to bend correctly you will find out that you might have another weakness, in the sweep or crush. These are not dependant on mobility, they rely completely on strength. So your progression might look completely different from somebody else, since different steel bends differently.

Watch a lot of bending videos of the best benders and study their technique, try to copy them.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 8:14 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Extensive answer

Thanks for the extensive answer! I can get half of the top 6 on your list to begin with at least. I think most stuff that are bent here on gripboard is for average bender and up. So for us weakmens there are kind of hard to get started.

While waiting on delivery I´ll try to do some of the mobility exercises you sent on video 2-3 times a week. Feels good so far and I am getting warm and soft. Though it is still a long way to go.

• Like 1

15/1

CoC #3 (155) - Didn't feel well so I skipped the cobalt today and did one of my most solid sessions ever. No logic. Got 2 films as well were you actually see something. Maybe one will land in wannagrips inbox.

LH: 1 1 1 1 1 2 1

RH: 1 1 1 1 1 3 2

16/1

RH - Surprisingly good. Not sure how much I pulled on this handle before.

L: 67,5 kg x 1 65 kg x 1 1

H: 70 kg x 1 1 1 

18/1

CoC #3 (152) 20 mm block - Maybe this is to close to heavy saturday session because this session always feels heavy.

LH: 1 1 1 1 

RH: 1 1 1 1

CoC #2 (107) 20 mm block - Ripped my skin of one palm so aborted.

LH: 10

RH: 10

Comments: Grippers feel really well now (at least on the heavy and most important session :D). Ordered a life time supply of chalk, unfortunately it was more slippery than expected. I´ll see how it works on heavier grippers.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Weakman said:

15/1

CoC #3 (155) - Didn't feel well so I skipped the cobalt today and did one of my most solid sessions ever. No logic. Got 2 films as well were you actually see something. Maybe one will land in wannagrips inbox.

LH: 1 1 1 1 1 2 1

RH: 1 1 1 1 1 3 2

16/1

RH - Surprisingly good. Not sure how much I pulled on this handle before.

L: 67,5 kg x 1 65 kg x 1 1

H: 70 kg x 1 1 1 

18/1

CoC #3 (152) 20 mm block - Maybe this is to close to heavy saturday session because this session always feels heavy.

LH: 1 1 1 1 

RH: 1 1 1 1

CoC #2 (107) 20 mm block - Ripped my skin of one palm so aborted.

LH: 10

RH: 10

Comments: Grippers feel really well now (at least on the heavy and most important session :D). Ordered a life time supply of chalk, unfortunately it was more slippery than expected. I´ll see how it works on heavier grippers.

Strong sessions! What chalk did you buy?

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 7:54 AM, Weakman said:

Thanks for the extensive answer! I can get half of the top 6 on your list to begin with at least. I think most stuff that are bent here on gripboard is for average bender and up. So for us weakmens there are kind of hard to get started.

While waiting on delivery I´ll try to do some of the mobility exercises you sent on video 2-3 times a week. Feels good so far and I am getting warm and soft. Though it is still a long way to go.

Yes it's kinda sad actually. There's only thing I've ever had real newbie gains with and that was grippers. Every other exercise is a huge battle to even make very small gains for me.

Regarding DO bending, it's a lot about technique. You'll get there very fast once you get the technique down, I'm sure. You already have good hand strength so that will not stop you and you don't need a really strong body to bend big steel. It's all about technique and most important is probably the mental aspect of it.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 8:45 AM, Lennix said:

Strong sessions! What chalk did you buy?

C.P. Sports from random supplement store. First impression not so good.

On 1/20/2022 at 1:41 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Yes it's kinda sad actually. There's only thing I've ever had real newbie gains with and that was grippers. Every other exercise is a huge battle to even make very small gains for me.

Regarding DO bending, it's a lot about technique. You'll get there very fast once you get the technique down, I'm sure. You already have good hand strength so that will not stop you and you don't need a really strong body to bend big steel. It's all about technique and most important is probably the mental aspect of it.

Hopefully brand new video tomorrow to compare with one from this summer. You can judge for your self if there is hope.

6 hours ago, Weakman said:

From last Saturday. Shout out if there is any improvements for MM attempt!

Strong close. You man handled that thing. Video looks solid to me a pause to show the set before you started and held it shut a while too.

• Like 2

22/1

CoC #3 (152) CCS - Not really close today.

LH: 0 0 0

RH: 0 0 0

CoC #3 (152) - Ok, lost power rather quick.

LH: 2 2 1

RH: 3 3 1

IM Blockbuster - Lol this was heavy. 

LH: 30 kg x 1 1 1

RH: 30 kg x  0 0 0

Comments: Forgot grippers at home so had to do session when I got home from the gym again. Dont really have the focus/power training at home. Saving the bending for tomorrow, I have more time then.

Edited by Weakman
Messed up date.
  • Like 4

23/1

RH, Silarukov 60 mm - All lift good until failure. 

LH: 70 kg x 1 75 kg x 1 80 kg x 0 0 70 kg x 1

RH: 70 kg x 1 75 kg x 0 1 0 70 kg x 1

25/1

CoC #3 (152) 20 mm block - Always so heavy in tuesdays. I don't seem to recover from heavy session.

LH: 1 1 1

CoC #2.5 (132) 20 mm block

LH: 5 5 4

RH: 5 5 5

Comments: Waiting for big shipment. Rolling thunder, Little Big Horn, loading pin and some nails/spikes. Not even past payday in January but already crashed this years equipment budget.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

29/1

SG, Cobalt (161) - I closed this for 2 reps for my first try and ever since I´ve only be hitting zeros.

RH: 0 0 0

CoC #3 (155)

LH: 1 0 1

CoC #3 (152)

LH: 3 2

RH: 2 1

IM Hub - Not very pretty but finally got 25 kg up with RH.

LH: 25 kg x 1 27,5 kg x 1 30 kg x 0 

RH: 25 kg x 0 1 0

23/1

RH, Silarukov 60 mm - Not as easy as last week. I had a couple of tries before 75 went up with LH.

LH: 70 kg x 1 75 kg x 1 80 kg x 0 0 70 kg x 1

RH: 70 kg x 1 75 kg x 0 1 0 70 kg x 1

Comments: When you hit the gym at 6 o clock and forget your shorts. So no training today. I´ve also been trying to tweak my DO technique after some tips from @Lennix. Very grateful for that. Besides that focus is on gripper and RH, trying to, at least for now, cut down on all the funny smaller things like platecurl and other handles.

Edited by Weakman
  • Like 3

2/2

SG, Cobalt (161) - First attempt really good. Closed on LH (but touched with RH so not approved). I think RH was closed but could not see.

LH: 0 0

RH: 0 0

CoC #3 (155), 20 mm BS

LH: 1 0

RH: 1 0

CoC #3 (152)

LH: 3 3 3

RH: 3 3 2

DO - Lol. Tried a mor eproper technique but that didnt go well. Its more like I pull the bar towards me rather then bending it. Feel a bit stupid I didn't order any yellow nails.

Yellow x 0

Comments: Ramp up and first attempt good then rest was not so good. Sloppey reps on 152, not sure all would count as MMS. My package from IM arrived at customs today. Hopefully I can test my new stuff this week.

• Like 2

5/2

CoC #3 (152) CCS

CoC #3 (152) 20 mm BS - Plan was to do reps but no power today.

LH: 2 1 1 1 1 1

RH: 1 2 1 1 1 1

DO - Working on technique. Just had to bend 1 since I failed yellow last time.

Blue x 1

23/1

RH, Silarukov 60 mm - Not really good lifts.

LH: 70 kg x 1 75 kg x 1 1 70 kg x 2 2 2

RH: 70 kg x 1 75 kg x 1 0 70 kg x 1

LBH - First time. Ramp up with RH up to 60 kg.

LH: 60 kg x 1 70 kg x 0 50 kg x 2 2 2

RH: 60 kg x 0 1 50 kg x 2 2 1

Comments: Lacking power this weekend, not sure why. Got my package from IM. First impression of LBH: Holy shit that's a solid piece of equipment. I didn't expect it to be so short but it will for sure survive a nuclear blast. That's not the case for the rolling thunder, which was broke when I opened the package. I made a reclaim that's why I didn't try it out. The result for LBH though was a disappointment. I only bought to see if I could get a competitive king kong result but I lack at least +20 kg to get on the top 50 (!). That really sucks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weakman said:

5/2

CoC #3 (152) CCS

CoC #3 (152) 20 mm BS - Plan was to do reps but no power today.

LH: 2 1 1 1 1 1

RH: 1 2 1 1 1 1

DO - Working on technique. Just had to bend 1 since I failed yellow last time.

Blue x 1

23/1

RH, Silarukov 60 mm - Not really good lifts.

LH: 70 kg x 1 75 kg x 1 1 70 kg x 2 2 2

RH: 70 kg x 1 75 kg x 1 0 70 kg x 1

LBH - First time. Ramp up with RH up to 60 kg.

LH: 60 kg x 1 70 kg x 0 50 kg x 2 2 2

RH: 60 kg x 0 1 50 kg x 2 2 1

Comments: Lacking power this weekend, not sure why. Got my package from IM. First impression of LBH: Holy shit that's a solid piece of equipment. I didn't expect it to be so short but it will for sure survive a nuclear blast. That's not the case for the rolling thunder, which was broke when I opened the package. I made a reclaim that's why I didn't try it out. The result for LBH though was a disappointment. I only bought to see if I could get a competitive king kong result but I lack at least +20 kg to get on the top 50 (!). That really sucks.

LBH is very very dependant on good chalking and getting your hands used to it. Many of the great gripsters have problems with it. Harri Tolonen is one example. I have one aswell but spend way to little time with it.

• Like 2

Yes it's a friction lift just like pinch is. Good chalking makes all the difference. If you pull 60 kg with bad chalking it's a pretty good lift I would say. With good chalking you will add 10+ kg in no time.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2022 at 8:45 AM, Lennix said:

LBH is very very dependant on good chalking and getting your hands used to it. Many of the great gripsters have problems with it. Harri Tolonen is one example. I have one aswell but spend way to little time with it.

On 2/7/2022 at 12:12 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Yes it's a friction lift just like pinch is. Good chalking makes all the difference. If you pull 60 kg with bad chalking it's a pretty good lift I would say. With good chalking you will add 10+ kg in no time.

Thanks! I´ll chalk up better next time. There should be some room for improvement with more seasoned horn. Anyways great that the LBH again is part of KK.

12/2

CoC #3 (152) 30 mm BS - Failed 2-3 on each hand. LH because I suck, RH because pinkie "locks" when I using wider sets and need to reopen before I can finish the close. Pretty descent spacing on some closes, gonna get a 40 mm block as well.

LH: 10 x 1

RH: 10 x 1

GG Gripball - Just for fun

LH: 20 kg x 5 5 5

RH: 20 kg x 5 5 5

Comments: Continue to work on mobility for DO. Very slowly progress but at least I´ve got the idea to some extent. Felt really shit since my last shot. Actually felt it already on Saturday so I need some days off to recover.

• Like 3

19/2

CoC #3 (155) - RH really felt really solid. Super disappoint to fail my Cobalt again, tried it after 1st set. LH was not legit since I touched gripping wrist with RH. 

LH: 6 x 1

RH: 6 x 1

CoC #2.5 (132) CCS - Went for 3 reps but was not able to close. Completely failed on LH.

RH: 2 2 1

IM Hub - At my very top. Again I did 27,5 kg which is all time high. Think I´ve done it 4-5 times now.

LH: 23,75 kg x 1

RH: 27,5 kg x 1

20/2

RT - First try. Damn that CTD might not be within reach since my RH progress is non existent.

LH: 1 x 80 kg 85 kg x 0

RH: 1 x 75 kg 0 x 80 kg

GG Gripball - Again, just for fun

LH: Up to 30 kg

RH: Up to 30 kg

Comments: Not been feeling well this week so rest since last Saturday. Expect fail on cobalt grippers felt ok. RT was big disappointment. Only +2,5 kg compared to my Silarukov RH. After watching Jedds RH review tournament I was more or less expecting to pull 90 kg. Sadly I couldn't get 85 kg to move. Been of bending for last week but restarting my mobility training the coming week.

Edited by Weakman
  • Like 3

Very impressive gripping! Not far off from a 30kg hub lift 💪 I have a newer rolling thunder and was surprised how similar it was to a 2.5" Crusher for total weight lifted. I would have expected your Silarukov handle be tougher but maybe the newer RT's are a big step up in difficulty from the older models 🤔

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 4:10 AM, Bigfoot Grip said:

Very impressive gripping! Not far off from a 30kg hub lift 💪 I have a newer rolling thunder and was surprised how similar it was to a 2.5" Crusher for total weight lifted. I would have expected your Silarukov handle be tougher but maybe the newer RT's are a big step up in difficulty from the older models 🤔

Thank you! 30 kg will for sure be a milestone. I haven't tried any of the older RTs but there are some videos, I guess you've seen those, with older RTs that dont spin at all. I don't really think they are comparable to the new one. With that said, the new RT is still the "easiest" RH I´ve tried so far.  

• Like 1