Gold Nail cert vs CoC#4 cert (ccs)

stranger

Gold Nail cert vs CoC#4 cert  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which certification will happen first?

27 minutes ago, stranger said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned David yet. This is who I was thinking about with being right on the cusp of certifying. @SeNoLD

Alas, this incredibly light Coc 4 is just a little heavier than the old version

At the moment I can only count on a deep set or MMS with the new 4

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Nathan has closed over 40 #4 grippers. Full strength Nathan has also lifted the millennium dumbbell.

Not to take any part in who's dad is the best gripper closer, but Carl is the only one to lift Millenium dumbbell level. 😅

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2PhhD_g4RZfCIGA0OBtisvJafr7qrtXMJsOzw0/?igshid=1gcgqi7p9jmpj

3 hours ago, Mywor said:

Not to take any part in who's dad is the best gripper closer, but Carl is the only one to lift Millenium dumbbell level. 😅

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2PhhD_g4RZfCIGA0OBtisvJafr7qrtXMJsOzw0/?igshid=1gcgqi7p9jmpj

Not to take anything away because Carl is amazingly strong but I think his giant size is certainly helpful for thick bar stuff. Nathan's hands are only slightly above average at just under 8 inches.

I do not find that Carl has very big hands especially compared to his size, my impression may be wrong but I think  that he does not have a huge advantage at this level..🙂

Edited by Maiche 25
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jasonotto said:

I certainly wouldnt say golds are getting easier.  I know there was some stock that came out lighter, but that was a fluke.  It wouldnt be fair to the first person to cert on the gold to cheapen that achievement by saying it was an easier bar.   With that being said, I know there is a tight race to the gold currently, cant wait to see who does it first.

They aren't easier. Steel varies and it always has, end of story.

The easier batch a few years back was a mistake. It was actually HRS I think and they were never to be used in certification.

36 minutes ago, Maiche 25 said:

I do not find that Carl has very big hands especially compared to his size, my impression may be wrong but I think  that he does not have a huge advantage at this level..🙂

And it's completely irrelevant as well.

• Like 1

Maybe I was wrong and got him mixed up with someone else then, I was also under the impression hand size matters more for thick bar but I don't train it much myself so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong. 👌

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

And it's completely irrelevant as well.

Carl's hands are at the largest 8.5", not giant for someone that is that tall as people like Gil and Tanner have the same size hand as him in much smaller frames. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

Carl's hands are at the largest 8.5", not giant for someone that is that tall as people like Gil and Tanner have the same size hand as him in much smaller frames. 

My point by mentioning his height was that he won't have a disadvantage of having small hands.

Mentioning his hand size is also irrelevant. Doesn't make him weaker for having big hands. A #4 close is a #4 close. Same reason it doesn't make an elephant weaker than us humans because it can flip a car over easily.

I was under the (wrong) impression Carl had like 9 inch hands, so that's the only reason I mentioned it and because I thought it was at least somewhat relevant for lifting the millennium dumbbell. No matter who you are these feats will always impress me and I could never do them myself.

Carl is a beast!

9 minutes ago, Anemptybox said:

I was under the (wrong) impression Carl had like 9 inch hands, so that's the only reason I mentioned it and because I thought it was at least somewhat relevant for lifting the millennium dumbbell. No matter who you are these feats will always impress me and I could never do them myself.

Carl is a beast!

Thing with thick bar is how good wrap around the handle you can get. You can have a large hand but if that hand is very fat it might not be so good, it's all about how far you can get the fingers around the handle. Someone with normal hands could get a better grip if their hands are lean. Depends on the proportion of the hand. How long the fingers and how far the span between index finger and thumb is, possibly also how big the span is from thumb to pinky.

For grippers it's different, for CCS you probably need a fairly large hand but not too thin, since you want the thumb pad to stop the gripper from moving. For MMS you can have short fingers, the bigger your palm is the better,  gives a better base to set the gripper against. This type of hand sucks for thick bar but is good for MMS grippers and also for Euro Pinch (where you choose the pinch width yourself).

• Like 1

Carl actually has relatively small hands compared to his size, maybe like 8.3-5. Definitely not huge and for sure smaller than Tanner for example. My hand is ~8.4 or so, and I think he has same size as me. 

Edited by Mywor
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mywor said:

Well Holle claims a GHP 10 close... Only person who can do it (if true). 

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

Well Holle claims a GHP 10 close... Only person who can do it (if true). 

Yes notice the word "Claim". This is very important, he has claimed he has done that.

Don't think he's a member here but it's against the rules on this board to claim world class feats without backing it up with video evidence.

Very good rule indeed, otherwise we would have a lot of claims without anything to back it up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes notice the word "Claim". This is very important, he has claimed he has done that.

Don't think he's a member here but it's against the rules on this board to claim world class feats without backing it up with video evidence.

Very good rule indeed, otherwise we would have a lot of claims without anything to back it up.

I agree. I like to believe its true, because Nathan is super strong and he's been very kind to me when answering questions and giving advice. Very nice person. But will not know for certain until a video surfaces. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Hasn't he closed rgc 230 on video? Far from far fetched that he has closed a ghp10 imo. 

I believe so. And something that's 224 rgc or something like that. Also has said to close the Tetting Pro. Wish someone would send him a Tetting World Class

8 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

They aren't easier. Steel varies and it always has, end of story.

The easier batch a few years back was a mistake. It was actually HRS I think and they were never to be used in certification.

Yes, that was my point exactly. 

There have been more than one bad batch over the years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Hasn't he closed rgc 230 on video? Far from far fetched that he has closed a ghp10 imo. 

Yes, 232, IIRC. Another claim, believe it or not, is that he's approximately 70-75 % from his peak strength right now. Also, GHP 9 block set for 5 reps (unknown RGC). No proof but I hope he'll provide it in the future, it would be cool to see.

23 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

My point by mentioning his height was that he won't have a disadvantage of having small hands.

Mentioning his hand size is also irrelevant. Doesn't make him weaker for having big hands. A #4 close is a #4 close. Same reason it doesn't make an elephant weaker than us humans because it can flip a car over easily.

Just stating the hand size with no other info as people seemed to think he has very large hands. I dont give a shit how big anyones hands are just lift whatever you can lift. There are some things not feasible (facelifting blobs, etc) but most issues are weakness. If you can lift it with two hands using the same hand placement then one hand just isn't strong enough. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

Just stating the hand size with no other info as people seemed to think he has very large hands. I dont give a shit how big anyones hands are just lift whatever you can lift. There are some things not feasible (facelifting blobs, etc) but most issues are weakness. If you can lift it with two hands using the same hand placement then one hand just isn't strong enough. 

I completely agree.

I didn't know his hand size but I knew that he didn't have small hands.

I'd like to clarify my intentions for my previous posts:

1. I'm far from an expert and genuinely thought hand size mattered more for the particular comparison that was being made. I now know better since you guys informed me.

2. I had no intention of posting something controversial.

3. I only mentioned hand size because we compared Carl to Nathan and I must've gotten Carl mixed up with someone else's hand size (another really big guy) and because I was under the assumption that the previous two points were true/relevant to the discussion.

4. All this does not equal me thinking Carl is weak, I think he's one of the absolute strongest I've ever seen in grip, regardless of hand size and how relevant or irrelevant it may be.

5. I personally don't think it's controversial to compare different physical attributes in athletes, I just think it's interesting. Nothing is meant to demean or reduce anyone's accomplishments. I care way more about absolute strength and not bodyweight in relation to strength feats. That said, if I saw a 150 lbs relatively small guy bench 500 lbs with no arch, I think his size/build would be worth talking about in relation to the feat. Especially if we're comparing it to someone far bigger. This was not relevant in this threads comparison, I learned later in the discussion, about Carl since he actually doesn't have very big hands + hand size wasn't as relevant as I believed for the lift in question.

Hope that makes sense. Have a nice day guys!

Edited by Anemptybox
  • Like 3

On 8/4/2020 at 10:50 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Nathan has closed over 40 #4 grippers. Full strength Nathan has also lifted the millennium dumbbell.

Also plate curled a 20kg plate for 10 reps and plate curled a 25kg plate. Very difficult feats.

• Like 1