Gripboard Axle strict curl contest... Reward!

Durrs

Recently been seeing a ton of stuff on YT and IG about strict curl so I thought it would be fun to do a grip style online comp here.  I will send a FIFTY DOLLAR amazon gift card to the winner just so we will have some sure competition!  So competition opens up on Monday July 27th and we will close Monday August 31st, post your videos as often as you want from now until then on this thread, I will post the current leader and weight to beat on Monday of every week and then the winner on September 1st. Here are the rules I came up with from researching strict curl comp rules. I was on the fence about back of the head coming off the wall but rules I found online allowed it so we will too.

No weight classes/ Heaviest axle strict curl wins
IM axle or equivalent required/ Rogue axle or even a DIY is allowable as long as specs are the same = 2"diameter and 7 feet long
No collars. Balance will come into play as long as the weight doesn't fall off it will pass.
Arms and Legs must be fully extended before you start the lift.
Heels must be no further than 12" from wall 
Upper back/butt must stay in contact with wall during both up and down portion of lift
Feet may go as wide as you want as long as heels stay within 12" of wall
elbows and head may come off wall

Do the math of your loaded bar on camera (especially if it's DIY!) and state that this video is for the grip board strict curl comp so we know it's a recent vid. I don't need to see you actually weigh anything we're on the honor system.

Any questions or for anything I may have missed or need to be clarified please send me a message.

Have fun, let's police each other and I hope to see some monster posts on here and even if you don't have a chance at winning post your pr's it will be fun to see them. Let's see who the strongest current active gripboard member is on the Axle Strict Curl. Here's mine from today with a demo setup..

• Like 7

Message to admins: if this is in the wrong thread please move it. Thanks DB

That was a strong curl! 

• Like 1

Cool challenge. I’m going to a training session at Tim butlers 8/8 and I’ll give it a try then. Think it will be a fun challenge for the guys attending so I messaged Tim about it and he agreed. Before the pandemic my biceps were the strongest they have ever been but without access to a gym until recently I am sure I have lost strength (been training but not optimally)

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Cool challenge. I’m going to a training session at Tim butlers 8/8 and I’ll give it a try then. Think it will be a fun challenge for the guys attending so I messaged Tim about it and he agreed. Before the pandemic my biceps were the strongest they have ever been but without access to a gym until recently I am sure I have lost strength (been training but not optimally)

Hell yeah! I'm glad to hear you built that torn bicep back stronger than ever! give it a go!

• Like 1

I gave it a go this A.M. and it was humbling for sure. IM Axle 121 lbs.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Durrs said:

BOOM! 

Thanks for being kind. It was much harder than I expected (25 reds laughed at me)but look forward to improvement next 30 days.  Awesome challenge for anyone no doubt!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

I gave it a go this A.M. and it was humbling for sure. IM Axle 121 lbs.

Good stuff mike. 

I did my biceps at the gym for the first time in months today (been doing light weight in the community fitness during the pandemic) and they felt pretty good so I don’t think I lost much 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

Good stuff mike. 

I did my biceps at the gym for the first time in months today (been doing light weight in the community fitness during the pandemic) and they felt pretty good so I don’t think I lost much 

MM7 Beast, that is great news- not only are you strong ASF but incredibly resilient!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

Thanks for being kind. It was much harder than I expected (25 reds laughed at me)but look forward to improvement next 30 days.  Awesome challenge for anyone no doubt!

We're just getting warmed up!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Durrs said:

Week 2 I bumped up to 138# (+2) from last week 

That is such a strong strict axle curl!

I have the Titan axle bar pictured here

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/barbells/olympic/axle-barbell-–-60-in./430024.html

I assume this would work for the contest right? About to go out and do some curls with it as soon as I get home now. I’ve done bent over rows with it but I don’t think I’ve ever done curls with it so I’m curious.

My second submission- 126lb IM Axle Strict curl. I need to train this lift to get better going forward as it is very hard for this cat. Hope to see more entries as Durry has a fun/challenging contest if you give it a try. Mucho respect to Durry for his 138 strict curl,  which is very strong.

• Like 4

I did some the other day. Didn’t have time to film it and had no idea where’d I would max anyway, but it was definitely tough on the hands.

I’ve been doing DB concentration curls with fat grips for a while so that seemed to help with familiarity. 

• Like 1

Really cool idea!  I'll be jumping in here soon with a submission.  Tried strict curl for the first time ever yesterday, and it was a definite disappointment (weak).  But, with some reps in, I think it'll improve.

• Like 2

No video, but I just tried this and I wanted to grab the last place spot with 83lbs. Think I may be able to get 90 but probably not much more. 

• Like 3

@Climber028 Hey brother thanks for giving it a go! it's especially hard cause it's a straight bar most strict curl stuff I see is regular size EZ bars. Get a vid when you go for the ninety!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Climber028 said:

No video, but I just tried this and I wanted to grab the last place spot with 83lbs. Think I may be able to get 90 but probably not much more. 

Oh, I'm sure I can beat Chris out for last place.  I will try it later, if I can find a light enough axle lol.  Well OK, maybe I can do the axle itself.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Oh, I'm sure I can beat Chris out for last place.  I will try it later, if I can find a light enough axle lol.  Well OK, maybe I can do the axle itself.

Wrong climber haha, there's no way Chris would get double digits on this lift. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1