Thoughts about imTUGs

Emmanouil Marizas

Do the imTUGs really help for closing a heavy challenge gripper? Finger isolation training sounds good.

If you really want to do finger isolation you can just use a light regular gripper. The imtugs have thicker handles so you won’t get a tight close 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Get an adjustable dumbbell and do 2 finger lifts, you'll get better results from that alone.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chez said:

If you really want to do finger isolation you can just use a light regular gripper. The imtugs have thicker handles so you won’t get a tight close 

Thanks! I didn't think of that, i will try it

7 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Get an adjustable dumbbell and do 2 finger lifts, you'll get better results from that alone.

Nice idea! Thank you

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMTUGs are... nice for thumb work specifically. I use mine just to strengthen the thumb and the thumb pad so I can keep the gripper in the exact place I want longer. For other thumb exercises I'd probably opt for a pony clamp set or a TTK for versatility.

For individual finger training I can't speak for much, I've always used the ends of an easier CoC gripper for my index and middle finger training and noticed little to no difference even as the IMTUGs are larger by the handle size. Probably a hand size / comfort question at that point. For ring / pinky I have never felt comfortable using them, might be because I have smaller hands (7 inches) and can't really wrap my pinky around the handle of the IMTUG.

So to answer the original question; Are they helpful? Yes. Are they necessary? Not really, there are alternatives to improve individual finger performance but to each their own. I like mine and will continue to use them.