Bridging gap between GHP 7 and 8

ChimpGrip

I have closed both my GHP 7’s (rated at 142 and 144 by Cannon PowerWorks) on numerous occasions. My GHP Level 8 is significantly harder than both of my 7’s.

How can I bridge the gap? 

My grippers between my GHP 7 and 8: I have a COC#3 that is harder than both my 7’s, as well as a filed #2.5 (not rated) and a filed #3 (rated at 160 by CPW). 

I have several other grippers in the toolbox too. 

That is a pretty significant gap to bridge Lets say your at roughly 149lbs or CoC3 average and you are bridging the gap to 172. I would maybe try to start with a RB330N that should put you somewhere in the mid 150 range or a tetting elite (probably impossible to find)

I'm trying to bridge the gap between the 2.5 & 3 and there are lots of options but not so much for where your at.

Years ago when I first joined the board there was a guy in Texas I used to talk to a lot and he used adjustable pipe clamps on his goal gripper and he would tighten it down to the last few mm and close it and gradually open it up as he got stronger. I tried it but just like negatives it can be pretty brutal on the hands.

3 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

This is one of the variants. 68 kg CoC-3 was able to load up to 75-77 kg.

aZuRpm6-nK8.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, eman said:

That is a pretty significant gap to bridge Lets say your at roughly 149lbs or CoC3 average and you are bridging the gap to 172. I would maybe try to start with a RB330N that should put you somewhere in the mid 150 range or a tetting elite (probably impossible to find)

I'm trying to bridge the gap between the 2.5 & 3 and there are lots of options but not so much for where your at.

Years ago when I first joined the board there was a guy in Texas I used to talk to a lot and he used adjustable pipe clamps on his goal gripper and he would tighten it down to the last few mm and close it and gradually open it up as he got stronger. I tried it but just like negatives it can be pretty brutal on the hands.

Hmm I will look into the RB grippers. CPW is selling a 153 pound grip genie level 5... may purchase it. 

The gripper I used to bridge myself from the 2.5 to 3 was a filed #2. I trained twice a week doing 8 sets of 4-6 with the filed #2. After about 4-6 weeks of that (and doing overall body training) I was able to close the GHP 6. I continued to do the high volume filed #2 work and started incorporating singles with the GHP 6 in my training. Also trained thick bar heavily. Months later, I finally closed my #3 (unknown rating, but quite a bit harder than my 144lbs GHP Level 7).

• Like 1

One major thing I would do is put more reps on the #3 that is quite a bit harder than your GHP 7.  You have 1 rep; go for 2, 3, etc. 

I half feel like you have what you need right now to bridge to the GHP 8.  🤗

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

One major thing I would do is put more reps on the #3 that is quite a bit harder than your GHP 7.  You have 1 rep; go for 2, 3, etc. 

I half feel like you have what you need right now to bridge to the GHP 8.  🤗

Hmmm, what would be the perfect addition to add lol? My ultimate goal for grip 2020 is to close my COC #3.5. It is MUCH harder than my GHP 8. I feel like my GHP 8 is an important stepping stone to the #3.5. 

And far and away heavier than my filed #3 rated at 160. Feels like a toy compared to my 3.5. Matter of fact, my 3.5 doesn’t feel much lighter than my COC #4. 

I know there are lighter 3.5’s I can reach sooner (rgc 175ish) but I want to close my personal one. 

Last question and then I’ll shut up...

Once I close my #3.5... I can then set my sights on the #4 and set that as a goal? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So would this work...

Week 1 - 2 reps of #3 in the workout

Week 2 - 3 reps 

Week 3 - 4 reps 

Week 4 - 5 reps

Week 5 - Attempt filed #3 rated at 160 

Week 6 - Deload

Weeks 7-11 - do the same I did with the #3 but with my Grip Genie 5 rated at 153

Week - 12 -  Attempt GHP Level 8

Keep in mind I am doing powerlifting-style training three days a week, lots of heavy chest and tri work along with paused benches. I am strong all around

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

So would this work...

Week 1 - 2 reps of #3 in the workout

Week 2 - 3 reps 

Week 3 - 4 reps 

Week 4 - 5 reps

Week 5 - Attempt filed #3 rated at 160 

Week 6 - Deload

Weeks 7-11 - do the same I did with the #3 but with my Grip Genie 5 rated at 153

Week - 12 -  Attempt GHP Level 8

Keep in mind I am doing powerlifting-style training three days a week, lots of heavy chest and tri work along with paused benches. I am strong all around

My personal opinion and i dont claim to know anything. But training grippers every week is over kill. And I personally dont believe in gap training. But then again i dont train like anyone else 🤷🏻‍♂️

• 2 years later...

Bump/file a GHP7, bump/file a CoC3, buy as heavy of a CoC3 as you can find, Standard cobalt, average or light 3.5's...that's what I've been doing & I am getting very close to closing the GHP8, been working at it for a while, also progressively narrower block/strap holds with the GHP8 if not a heavier gripper. It's definitely harder than any equivalent RGC gripper from any other brand because of how wide it is...so practicing with any grippers just as wide if not wider (like 3+ inches) should help too. May want to also get the MMS first before the block set. And yeah can't ignore how helpful it will be to do reps with slightly lighter grippers

• Like 2