GHP Lv7 compared to CoC3

Emmanouil Marizas

How close is a GHP's Level 7 resistance to a CoC3's resistance?

Thinking seriously to buy a GHP lv7

• Like 1

As you can see in the ratings data sheet, they span in the same range. However the knurling is very different, it's much sharper on GHP grippers. This is the biggest difference between GHP and COC. Usually GHP's has a little harder sweep than COC's (they are harder through the whole ROM). However that's not always the case. The knurling is always sharper though. All of this affects how hard the gripper will be to close. For me GHP's are easier (I don't train credit card set). Better knurling is a big factor for me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

As you can see in the ratings data sheet, they span in the same range. However the knurling is very different, it's much sharper on GHP grippers. This is the biggest difference between GHP and COC. Usually GHP's has a little harder sweep than COC's (they are harder through the whole ROM). However that's not always the case. The knurling is always sharper though. All of this affects how hard the gripper will be to close. For me GHP's are easier (I don't train credit card set). Better knurling is a big factor for me.

Thank you for the information! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maiche 25 said:

Hi, here is the answer to your question in this awesome data table😀

https://cannonpowerworks.com/pages/grip-strength-ratings-data

The only thing I can add to this is trending. 

Our current supply of GHP 7 has been low 140s and IronMind #3 are hanging around the average right now. 

Also, if you want a GHP 7, buy it now. We don't have many left and GHP production is impacted by the pandemic. We don't know when we can get more. 

• Like 5

I have 3 GHP 7s, one rated 143 and two unrated ones that are definitely harder and probably between 147-150.  I should send them to Matt and find out!

I have 3 COC 3s, rated 145, 150, 153; I am also borrowing a COC 3 160.

I agree with all of the above re: knurling and I'm not sure I have an opinion on sweep.  I also don't know if I could decide whether for me a GHP 7 or COC 3 of the same rating is harder than the other; my grippers listed above seem to be as hard as the rating in each case, which may be a testament to Matt's rating ability.  Maybe the GHP is a little wider in the spread and harder to set, but not really sure.  If you are buying one unrated I would think the biggest variable in how hard the gripper would be is the luck of whether you got an easy or a hard one of either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I have 3 GHP 7s, one rated 143 and two unrated ones that are definitely harder and probably between 147-150.  I should send them to Matt and find out!

I have 3 COC 3s, rated 145, 150, 153; I am also borrowing a COC 3 160.

I agree with all of the above re: knurling and I'm not sure I have an opinion on sweep.  I also don't know if I could decide whether for me a GHP 7 or COC 3 of the same rating is harder than the other; my grippers listed above seem to be as hard as the rating in each case, which may be a testament to Matt's rating ability.  Maybe the GHP is a little wider in the spread and harder to set, but not really sure.  If you are buying one unrated I would think the biggest variable in how hard the gripper would be is the luck of whether you got an easy or a hard one of either.

Thank you! I don't have a GHP lv7 in my collection, so i think i must have one soon 💪

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have GHP7 rated at 143 by Cannon

• Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 12:44 PM, Maiche 25 said:
Hi, here is the answer to your question in this awesome data table

https://cannonpowerworks.com/pages/grip-strength-ratings-data

I visit often and download the latest rgc board they have. This way I can geek out looking at the ratings in my own time 👀👁️🧐😅

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I visit often and download the latest rgc board they have. This way I can geek out looking at the ratings in my own time 👀👁️🧐😅

I know this board better than my homework when i was in school 😎😆😆😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 11 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 7:27 AM, Cannon said:

The only thing I can add to this is trending. 

Our current supply of GHP 7 has been low 140s and IronMind #3 are hanging around the average right now. 

Also, if you want a GHP 7, buy it now. We don't have many left and GHP production is impacted by the pandemic. We don't know when we can get more. 

I just bought GHP 1-8 other than GHP 6 which is out of stock, I really hope I can get a GHP 6 at some point.

• Like 3

GHP7 on average is a few lbs lighter than CoC3. GHP7 has a thinner spring and wider spread, and much sharper knurling, like Standard. They do feel different cause of GHP's wider spread, but aren't that different in difficulty.

• Like 3

G.H.P. Are some of the best made

• Like 3

8 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

G.H.P. Are some of the best made

I like Tettings the best, then COC, then GHP, but all better than the rest.  I don't dislike Standard but have not gotten enough experience with them to decide if I will invite them into my life lol.  That being said, the only gripper I ever had that went south on me (handle got loose and it became useless to me) was a GHP7.  Could have been just a fluke.

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I like Tettings the best, then COC, then GHP, but all better than the rest.  I don't dislike Standard but have not gotten enough experience with them to decide if I will invite them into my life lol.  That being said, the only gripper I ever had that went south on me (handle got loose and it became useless to me) was a GHP7.  Could have been just a fluke.

I haven't used a Tetting yet but based on what they look like I imagine them very similar to Standard, if not the same. Hopefully I will find out soon as I am ready for MM1 now but waiting until I have a less hectic schedule to organize doing the attempt. I think you would like Standards a lot. My GHP7 is rated 144. But I wouldn't want to get too used to liking Tetting either since they are basically never available & I have only ever seen them for astronomical prices.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I haven't used a Tetting yet but based on what they look like I imagine them very similar to Standard, if not the same. Hopefully I will find out soon as I am ready for MM1 now but waiting until I have a less hectic schedule to organize doing the attempt. I think you would like Standards a lot. My GHP7 is rated 144. But I wouldn't want to get too used to liking Tetting either since they are basically never available & I have only ever seen them for astronomical prices.

Re: MM1 - the set on that gripper is so easy, and the RGC has to be barely over 150, that I think after you get your first MMS close (which I promise you will find easy) you should try a TNS close with it.

The grippers you are closing on video are much harder even than MM2.  Looking forward to seeing the attempts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

My GHP 7 did the same thing after my first couple of squeezes.  I still certified on it, but yeah, I need glue it back.  It's a trippy feeling having a gripper handle spin while closing.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Re: MM1 - the set on that gripper is so easy, and the RGC has to be barely over 150, that I think after you get your first MMS close (which I promise you will find easy) you should try a TNS close with it.

The grippers you are closing on video are much harder even than MM2.  Looking forward to seeing the attempts.

Hmm...maybe I can start down this path sooner than I thought.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Hmm...maybe I can start down this path sooner than I thought.  Thanks for the info.

Oh for sure, if you have already done the IM cert, MM1 will be really easy and MM2 (while noticeably harder than MM1) should not be too bad - especially because if I recall correctly, you have progressed past where you were when you certed IM 3 and have done a CC close on a gripper rated 159?  MM2 requires only parallel and is probably low 160s in RGC, so you would likely be past that already as well.  Go start the MM ladder!

• Like 2