Fingers 'locking' on grippers?

AvgJo

Hey guys,

So I am a noob at grippers, getting into training with them consistantly now. I have no problem setting grippers in the 30-40mm range but once past that at say CCS distance, my fingers seem to 'lock' out straight and I can't actually try and close my hand from there. It is almost as if they are hypermobile? Visually, they don't seem to hyperextend at all, they just straighten and won't budge. It makes TNS nearly impossible it seems. I tried to find some mention of this on here but I couldn't find anything. Any light on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers 👍

You need to place the handle further back in your palm if this happens. This is the reason why the IM cert is unfair. Favours people with large hands.

You will need to practice a lot to find the sweet spot. You should have it as close to the fingers as possible without getting the problems you're describing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

You need to place the handle further back in your palm if this happens. This is the reason why the IM cert is unfair. Favours people with large hands.

You will need to practice a lot to find the sweet spot. You should have it as close to the fingers as possible without getting the problems you're describing.

Thanks for that Fury, I wasn’t sure if it was a hand size thing or just some weird joint mobility thing. I guess I need to practice and find that sweet spot.

Cheers 👍

13 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

It is a strength issue as well, you can overcome it if you are strong enough. But yeah, place the handle further back. It is what it is. 

Yea I just need to practice more I guess. Cheers 👍

You mention hypermobility in the first post, I wonder if this can affect your strength. I can bend my fingers back much further than most people.

1 hour ago, Anemptybox said:

You mention hypermobility in the first post, I wonder if this can affect your strength. I can bend my fingers back much further than most people.

I think it does a lot. A few rock climbers on youtube have spoke about how stiff their fingers are, a few struggling to extend their fingers completely and they have very very dense strong hands, very rigid. Definitely not the healthiest thing over the long term though. An example of that could be in powerlifting. A lot of the strongest guys are generally not very flexible/mobile which I believe helps them as the muscles are short and tight. Most of them won’t be able to touch their toes and that same tightness will help a deadlift for example. 

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I have experimented a lot with stretching of the fingertips, and getting more control over them with neuromuscular practice. I.e trying to move them individually from the other fingerjoints. And I would say that it helps, it can give you a little bit more space to work with. But is marginal. If you are dead serious I think it's worth working on. Also, fingercurls does give you some more strength in this area as well. And also high reps with low grippers in the desired position also gives you some. 

So while you in the end must take the handle further back in the hand, I would still personally advice to not just settle with it, but actively trying to improve the position a little at a time. 

Some good points there. I am terrible at mindfully engaging individual fingers, I had never considered working on that but I can see how it can help. I am going to incorporate some pinching work aswell as finger hangs. I have a knock off pair of eagle loops that I thought may help with individual finger work, maybe strengthen the tendons a bit. Cheers 👍

2 hours ago, Anemptybox said:

Same here with the bending backward. And I have the same "locking" issue. I won't say that I ever really overcame the issue.  I can only even begin to squeeze grippers from credit card width if I have complete mastery over that strength level.  It just does not feel healthy. I really believe in setting to your personally preferred width. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AvgJo said:

Some good points there. I am terrible at mindfully engaging individual fingers, I had never considered working on that but I can see how it can help. I am going to incorporate some pinching work aswell as finger hangs. I have a knock off pair of eagle loops that I thought may help with individual finger work, maybe strengthen the tendons a bit. Cheers 👍

Good ideas here and from Hopefully. 

• Like 1