Road to the CoC #3

AvgJo

23 hours ago, AvgJo said:

05/09/2020

Grip:

CoC #2 8,7,5,5 reps
CoC #2 2x10" holds

I decided to clean my gripper for the first time and try reps for the first time. It didn't really cross my mind but the knurling on my grippers are all clogged with chalk, the springs are rusty/dirty and they creak when closing. After taking a wire brush to my #2 and some WD40 I can't believe it. It is literally like I knocked 10-15lb off the gripper. I need to take better care of them from now on and I will be sure to clean my #2.5 and #3 when I am back. I guess I wasn't really taking care of them. I don't feel like I am cheating myself doing this, but instead returning it to the level it was out of the packaging. It was just a quick workout today, 1-1'30" rest between sets.

Thats awesome, great amount of reps. its not cheating. It should be standard practice. WD40 is good for cleaning up a gripper spring and getting rust off but what you want to use now its clean is a proper lubricating oil. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 2

06/09/2020

Home workout:

Bench press 10x10 at 70kg
CoC #2 10x3 closes
DB hammer curls 3x10 at 21.5kg
DB wrist curls 3x15 at 21.5kg
EZ bar reverse wrist curls 1x35 at 7.5kg

10 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thats awesome, great amount of reps. its not cheating. It should be standard practice. WD40 is good for cleaning up a gripper spring and getting rust off but what you want to use now its clean is a proper lubricating oil. 

Cheers man. Any oil you would recommend? Honestly didn’t know gripper maintenance was a thing until yesterday. I came across an old post on here from Paul Knight talking about oiling grippers, it’s a good read.

If you scroll down a bit you will see his post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AvgJo said:

Cheers man. Any oil you would recommend? Honestly didn’t know gripper maintenance was a thing until yesterday. I came across an old post on here from Paul Knight talking about oiling grippers, it’s a good read.

If you scroll down a bit you will see his post.

Just had a read. I use a similar oil. Its just multi purpose silicone oil based spray. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestSlope said:

@Cannon would it be allowed to brush the knurling and oil the spring on a MashMonster attempt?

I would say "no" only for the reason that I meticulously maintain them.  The gripper will always arrive freshly oiled and clean of chalk.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

but what you want to use now its clean is a proper lubricating oil. 

Great suggestion, agree about WD-40, don't use that. 

3-in-one is readily available, inexpensive, and works great. That's what CPW uses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cannon said:

Great suggestion, agree about WD-40, don't use that. 

3-in-one is readily available, inexpensive, and works great. That's what CPW uses.

Yeah its dirt cheap here and works the best. Ive seen some people let grippers go rusty and never oil them. To me that is crazy not to properly maintain them. Ive actually literally just oiled my collection now as its been ages and now that my 126lb 2.5 has just arrived. 😀

• Like 2

Just a bit of an update, I’m back home now and I received my grippers! I should get 3 in 1 oil delivered today also. Since Sunday the 6th evening, I was basically crippled in bed in Poland for 5 days with some stomach virus. My gf had it for 5 days and as she recovered I got it for 5 days also. I couldn’t eat anything for about 2 days at one point. It was terrible. I lost 3kg in the process. I’m feeling about 95% better. I’m excited to clean my old grippers and try my new ones tonight so stay tuned for that.

65905290-9A33-4D6E-B207-B21E5A92CCDF.jpeg

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 2

11/09/2020

Grip:

GHP 4 1 close
CoC #2 1 close
GHP 5 1 close
CoC #2.5 1 close
RB 210H 1 close
CoC #3 2 attempts (10-12mm closed)
CoC #2.5 2x2 closes?

Overall a great workout. I'll link videos below. The #3 felt really good, got it down to about 10-12mm on my 2nd attempt I believe and It was probably the 5th or 6th time ever attempting the #3 in my life. I gave it a good smash with my left too. Also, tomorrow will be the end of my 7th week of gripper training only so I can't be more pleased. The RB 210H is easier than my #2.5 which I knew could happen but it was unlikely. Infact, all of them are easy now that I have cleaned them (didn't clean new ones obviously) and now that I think about it, I think having high friction dirty grippers made me progress faster. The last video shows my attempt at any kind of rep work with my #2.5. Given the fact my 210H is easier, I can get the #3 down pretty close and the fact I can't do reps with my #2.5 for s**t - I believe it's a hard #2.5. Either that, I have literally no endurance. I will try some rep work with the #2.5 tomorrow when I'm fresh and see how it goes. But for now, Nathan Holle's method works like magic for me and I'm going to keep doing it.

Edited by AvgJo

26 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

In my opinion, you put waaay too much of your fingers over the handle. You would be better served having the palm handle more forward in the hand and put the finger handle higher up on your fingers. Just below the crease of your distal phalanges. 

Hmm ok I think I know what you mean. I never really noticed that, am I making it easier or harder by doing what I’m doing? I think it happens because I’m in a panic to get the thing set tightly that I might be going too deep.

2 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

You make it alot harder. 

I won’t speak because I'm not comfortable with speaking english 😁

Anyway, this should show the difference hopefully. Notice that I fail to close the trainer first attempt, it isn't bullshit either. Because of how much of my fingers were over the handle I ran out of motion mechanically. 

A few things, first thanks for the vid man, really appreciate it. I get what your saying. What I realised after I posted my last message was that I think I subconciously do that because I had a thing with my fingers ‘locking’ which I made a post about around 1 month ago. Seemed to happen when I had my fingers around that position you are showing. I just try and push my fingers over to avoid that I guess. That was with CCS/TNS style though, so I should be good to give myself some distance on the fingers. I’ll play around with it tomorrow, cheers 👍

11 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I know exactly what you mean. 

That will happen if you have the backhandle too far forward in the hand and have that finger position. So you'll have to find the middle ground. Practicing will help improving it as well. This stretch and the tendon glide thing will also help some. 

Nice, yea I need to find the sweet spot for the palm handle. Hmm cool, I thought if I don’t stretch it could stiffen up my tendons and ligaments a bit and reduce any locking/hypermobility issues? Probably risky now that I think about it.

6 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Well I don't know about that, doesn't sound like a good idea and I personally arrived at the opposite conclusion 😅 mobility is good for you. If you have hypermobility though, then I assume other things apply. 

It's funny because I used to be a stretching/mobility fanatic but I recently got tired of it all. I used to skip workouts if I didn't have time for mobility before hand for it. I stopped it all because of that and to be honest, I feel stronger now. I can't really explain it. I just feel more rigid. I think being overly mobile is a bad thing and being overly tight is a bad thing, in between is ok. I still have a good standard with 2-3 mobility/stretching exercises which is enough for me, like palms on the floor in a standing pike stretch is one I use as a guidline. Anyway, thanks again man. I'm interested to play around with my setting today 🙂

12/09/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 1x2 closes
210H 1x2 closes
GHP 5 1x5 closes
CoC #2 1x8 closes
GHP 4 1x10 closes

Nothing max effort, just trying to work on my setting technique and still not back at full health. Saving energy for this coming week which will be last before deload, going ahead with the proper version of Nathan Holle’s method now that I have more grippers to work with. Forward with the #3 attempts.

• Like 1

14/09/2020

Grip:

All GHP 38mm block sets:
CoC #3 6 attempts
CoC #2.5 3 closes
210H 3 closes
60mm pinch 5x5 at 21.3kg

Push:
Handstands 12 sets
Grippers 12 sets
Pushups 10x10 +20kg vest
60mm pinch 5x5 at 21.3kg
Skullcrushers 4x12 at 25kg
FG EZ bar curls 4x12 at 25kg

Thought I'd show how I incorporate my grip work into my workouts this week. I try to superset them where I can, HS with grippers and PU with pinch today. If I go ahead with getting back to the gym, I'll probably be switching to a new split that has a 3x pw focus on weighted chins. I really want to get back to OAC training as it was a long term goal of mine.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

16/09/2020

Grip:

All CCS:
GHP 5 2 closes
GHP 5 4 attempts
CoC #2 2 closes
CoC #2 4 attempts
FG inverted rows 3x8 at BW

Pull:
Grippers 12 sets
Chinups 10x10 at BW
FG inverted rows 3x8 at BW
YTWLMs 3 sets
FG DB curls 4x12 at 12.3kg

CCS is something I've never tried, it feels hard but I just need some practice. It's hard to tell if my GHPs and 210H are rated more or less than my CoCs due to the sharp knurling on the new ones. FG inverted rows were carried out by using 2 removable handles from resistance bands and attaching Fat Gripz to them and attaching that to rings straps.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 2

18/09/2020

Grip:

All GHP 38mm block sets:
CoC #3 1 attempt
CoC #2.5 2 attempts
210H 2 attempts
GHP 5 3,3,2 closes (GHP block set each rep)

Hands are feeling fatigued. 8th week of grippers done and now time for deload this coming week. I will be away on a wee getaway to a lodge from 21st-24th anyway. Looking to start a new program for chins and bench from 28th onwards. Will possibly change to rep work on grippers to try it out and tbh, to save time. My goal is to work towards 3x8 (each rep GHP block set) with my GHP 5, be hitting that Mon,Wed,Fri and doing my regular grip work ontop of that. My GHP 5 is a nice level for me to work with reps wise.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

28/09/2020

Grip:

GHP 5 5,3,4 closes (GHP block set each rep)

Had big plans and a nice new split/program made for myself to start today and finish at Christmas, 12 weeks from now. Went a long to the gym and it has all been rearranged. The chin station (part of a crossover cable machine) is in a cardio room now for some f***ed reason and there can only be one person in each room at a time, I have to pre book online when I want to enter, like a timetable system. Oh well, nothing always goes to plan haha. Not really sure what to do now, I had hoped to bulk till xmas and train weighted chins and ohp. Trying to find another gym.

• Like 1

01/10/2020

Grip:

GHP 5 5,4,4 (GHP block set each rep)

FBW 2:
A1:Wall HSPUs 5,5,5
A2:Grippers 3 sets
A3:Chinups 3x5 at 15kg
B1:FG sternum chinups 3x6 at BW
B2:Banded ext. rotations 3xF
C1:EZ bar curls 4x12 at 35kg
C2:Band pushdowns 4x15
D1:Jump squats 3x10 at BW
D2:FG Hanging knee raises 3x15

So my solution to the no gym issue was to buy a 'power tower' - a freestanding pullup/dip station. I had a gym in mind but it was a bit far away from me. Also, the cost of membership from now till Christmas would cost the same as the power tower. I prefer working out at home also. It's just a temporary solution and I will most likely sell it after new years. It should be delivered in a week and I can't wait to get back to training dips and weighted chins properly. The station is rated to 150kg so I 'should' be fine. So I'll be doing FBW 3 days per week from now on, experimenting as I go - they just feel good. So the plan for now is I'm going ahead with a final push to gain a bit of muscle, on my arms especially, up until Christmas - focusing on increasing my chinup strength as well. After that I'll probably diet down until June as I'm getting married in August next year. Calisthenics all the way until then and the lighter I get the better I'll get (hopefully).

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

03/10/2020

Grip:

GHP 5 5,5,4 closes (GHP block set each rep)

FBW 3:
A1:Wall HS 3x2 holds (kick up without touching wall, 2/6 times)
A2:Grippers 3 sets
B:Chinups 3x5 upto 20kg
C:DB rows 3x10 at 41.3kg
D:Plate curls 5x3 at 10kg
E1:EZ bar reverse curls 3x10 at 30kg
E2:Skullcrushers 3x10 at 30kg
F1:Back bridge 3x30”
F2:HBH 3x30”

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

05/10/2020

Grip:

All MMS or a bit wider:
GHP 4 1 close
GHP 5 1 close
CoC #2 1 close
CoC #2.5 1 close
210H 1 close
CoC #3 2 attempts (💀)
CoC #2.5 2,2,2 closes
Towel hangs 3x~20-30"
Index+middle finger hangs 1x~20" (eagle loop)
Ring+pinky finger hangs 1x~20" (eagle loop)

FBW 1:
A1:Wall HS 4x1 (kick up without touching wall, 1/4 times)
A1:Wall HSPUs 5,5,5 (head to yoga block - will increase ROM over time)
A2:Grippers ~7 work sets
B:Chinups 3x5 at 20kg
C1:Dips 3x10 at BW
C2:Facepulls 3 sets
D:Arms 3 sets
E1: Box pistol SQs 5x5 at BW (will increase ROM over time)
E2: Hanging knee raises 5x12 at BW (with towel/finger hangs)

My power tower came today, really happy with it. I can finally do some dips. I wanted to see how gripper singles/attempts felt after a few sessions of rep work - no difference really. I was worried I might have lost some strength. One of my main goals right now is to master the free standing HSPU. With my back to a wall I can kick up without touching it but not consistently enough. If I touch the wall, I compose myself and then push myself off the wall into a HS. My line is ok, and I can hold it usually for around 10" off the wall. The thing I need to work on is the actual overhead pressing strength for HSPUs. Since my shoulder injury, I'm fairly weak at overhead work - or just pushing in general. I'm a bit too heavy at the moment too I feel like, diet after Christmas definitely. Experimenting with finger hangs on the eagle loops, I'm pretty curious about them. Pistol squats were always something I wanted to be able to do. Back when I was training for them and was a bit lighter I could manage 2 or 3 reps each leg holding a 5kg plate but I used it as a kind of counter balance which helped a tonne, easier than without weight I think. I don't have the strength/mobility to do it without weight right now but I'm going to work on it!

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 2

07/10/2020

Grip:

All MMS or a bit wider:
Cheap grippers 3x10

GHP 4 1 close
GHP 5 1 close
210H 1 close
CoC #3 2 attempts
GHP block set each rep:

GHP 5 3,3,3 closes
Plate curls 3x12 at 5kg

Thumbless EZ bar reverse curls 3x8 at 35kg

FBW B:
A1:HS 8 sets + HSPU eccentrics 3x2 (3" ecc)
A2:Grippers 8 sets
B:Chinups 3x5 at 20kg
C1-3:Dips, facepulls, inv. rows 3 rounds
D1-3:Plate curls, reverse curls, BW tricep ext. 3 rounds
E1-2:Box pistol SQs, HKRs 3 sets

Probably my best attempts so far with the #3, I think attempt 2 was better. Pretty happy with the progress I've been making, hopefully it keeps going and I can get that #3 closed soon! Videos below:

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

You are looking very strong all over! And I don't remember clearly and am too lazy to look, but havent you improved that distance on the #3 with like 6-7mm in a matter of weeks? Pretty good 

Thanks man 🙂 I just had a look at the dates. My first attempt vid was on the 26th July and since then, yea probably around 7mm or so in 10 weeks. A MMS style close could be round the corner but a GHP set is still light years away it feels like 😄

3 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Yeah there's quite a difference. Well it is what it is. I can't ccs an average #3 after 3 years of training so XD I closed it mms after 1 year I think. Takes time this stuff, for some that is. 

@Hopefully @Griparn I've been thinking about the MM ladder the last few days actually, seems pretty cool. Do you know if there's any British guys who did MM0 or higher? I haven't had a look. Could be cool to be the first Scottish guy on there 😄