Road to the CoC #3

AvgJo

I will try my best to keep a log of my grip training here which will mostly revolve around closing the #3. I have never trained grippers consistently or even seriously, it was just a bit of fun after a session - with gaps as long as years without even touching them. Through that, I managed to close the #2.5 once or twice in the last 10 years. I closed the #2 the first day I got it when I was around 17 and I am now 26. It kind of bugs me that I am starting off now with the same (if not less) level of crush strength as I had when I was a teen. I was probably just a testosterone enraged teen back then. Never the less, things can only improve if I stay patient.

I will try Nathan Holle's preferred method of training. You can find the routine in the comments of his youtube videos.

13/07/20

Grip:

CoC #2.5 4 attempts (set from 40-45mm and shut to within 5-7mm of being completely closed)
CoC #2 4 closes (set from 40-45mm)
SS #2 2x20 reps (Strength Shop gripper, TNS)

I'll be looking at getting a setting block and some grippers to bridge the gaps in the near future, most likely GHP 4-6.

Cheers 👍

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 4

15/07/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 5 attempts 
CoC #2 5 closes

All sets from 40-45mm open roughly. I do both L/R hands.

The 2nd gripper day is supposed to be a 'light' day with 4-6 CCS attempts (or wider set than the 1st day) with a gripper you can move a good distance. Then 4-6 CCS closes (or wider set than the 1st day) on a tough but manageable gripper. However, I only have a #2, #2.5 and #3 right now. I have 3 Strength Shop grippers 1, 1.5 and 2 but they are very easy, I just use them to warm up usually. So basically, I can CCS attempt the #2 but I don't have a gripper that I can CCS close. I'm looking at getting a GHP 4, 5 and 6 soon with a GHP block. For now, I will do the same workout 3 days per week, adding sets when I feel like it. I think the fact of just training grippers more often will spark some noob gains, just like with anything strength related at first.

Besides the gripper training I do mostly calisthenics at home. I have a weight vest, a few plates, a pullup bar and a set of parallettes. My main training goal right now is building a base on weighted chinups for the OAC/+BW chinup. I am coming back from a bad shoulder impingement that stopped me from doing even basic pushups for the last 9 months. I was doing sets of 10 HSPUs with my back to the wall before hand. After a long 9 months of rehab it is almost 100% better and I am building strength back gradually on pushing exercises.

Upper:

Chinups +10kg 10,9,9,8,6 (supersetted 3' rest)
Wall HSPU eccentrics 5x2 (3" ecc.)

Ring rows +10kg 10,8,8,8,7 (feet elevated, body parallel to floor, supersetted 2' rest)
Pushups +10kg 12,10,10,10,9 (feet elevated, body parallel to floor, from parallettes, deep, slow and controlled)

YTWLs 2 sets (banded, supersetted 1' rest)
WG pushups 2 sets (wide grip, from floor)

If anyone is interested I can post this kind of training too. I don't really want to go heavier than 20kg on the chinups incase my door frame pullup bar falls off.

Cheers 👍

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

17/07/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 6 attempts
CoC #2 6 closes
1 arm towel hangs 5"
2 arm towel hangs 1'

Lower:

Box pistol squats 3x5
Glute bridges 3 sets
Nordic curl progression 3x5

L-sit 3x5-10"
L-sit progression 3x20-25"
Pike lifts 3x8

Edited by AvgJo

21/07/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 4 attempts
CoC #2 4 closes
2 arm hangs 1'

Push:

Pushup pyramid 100 reps 4-8-12-16-20-16-12-8-4
Band pushdowns 100 reps

Feeling tired. First 4 days back at work since lockdown, just adjusting to being on my feet all day again. Hangs to decompress spine a bit.

23/07/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 6 attempts
CoC #2 6 closes
CoC #2 3x5-10" holds

Pull:

Chinups 10x10 at BW (Tuck l-sit for most reps)
Band pull aparts 100 reps
DB curls 100 reps at 11.5kg

Not going to lie, I am feeling pretty smashed from the gripper work - from the heavy attempts 3 days per week. I've got 3 grippers coming, ordered from CPW yesterday so I will hopefully manage to do a 'light' day with those for my 2nd workout of the week now which should make things more manageable. I am thinking to try and stick with it, maybe I will adapt to it and the light day should help. If not, maybe I will try a kind of medium, light, heavy workout rotation. Maybe do some volume work, 5x5 for example on the 'medium' day, wide/ccs work on the 'light' day and keep the heavy attempts/singles for the 'heavy' day. Just some ideas for the future. 

25/07/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 6 attempts
CoC #2 6 closes
SS #2 2x25

Feeling ok, better than last training session. I think I might have got a close on 1 of my attempts with the #2.5 but if not, definitely within 1mm off lol. The rest of the attempts were few mm off. I think I got a really good set on that possible close so that's why. I just need to be more consistent with the setting technique.

26/07/2020

Grip:

CoC #3 setting and attempts 4 sets
CoC #2.5 4 attempts
CoC #2 4 closes

I felt good today, fully recovered from yesterdays session so I thought why not try and make the most of it with an extra session. #2.5 feels easier after starting with the #3. I might use that tactic here and there to fire up the CNS. I always thought that there is no point even touching the #3 right now but I am pleasantly surprised with my setting and attempts. This was literally the first time I have tried to set it and attempt it seriously. I'll post a few videos below shortly to show where I am at right now.

27/07/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 3 attempts
CoC #2 3 closes
60mm wooden pinch block up to 28.5kg 1RM
60mm wooden pinch block 2x30" holds at 15kg

I got the pinch block off amazon a few months ago and have not used it much. This was the first time I tried any kind of max lift, with a brief pause off the floor, then back down. I don't know if this is a decent amount of weight or not for this lift, probably not giving that this is the gripboard after all lol. Also new PR in the pushup pyramid of 100 reps in 9'42" down from 12'58" last session. Next goal is to complete it unbroken.

Edited by AvgJo

29/07/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 6 attempts
CoC #2 6 closes
Fat Gripz chinups 50 reps (2.4" on bar)

Good session. I can't wait for my new grippers to come from Cannon PowerWorks. I've got a GHP 4 and 5 coming as well as a CPW 210 hybrid, oh and a GHP set block. I wanted a GHP 6 but unfortunately it was out of stock and the hybrid has similar ratings. Incorporating pinch on my 1st gripper day, thick bar (Fat Gripz) on the 2nd day and wrist work (probably plate curls and/or some ulnar/radial dev.) on the 3rd day. Loving training again recently for the first time in a long time 💪

Edited by AvgJo

01/08/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 3 closes (Only right hand)
CoC #2.5 3 attempts
CoC #2 10 closes
Plate curls 3x2 at 10kg
EZ bar reverse curls 3x6 at 35kg (Thumbless)
EZ bar reverse curls 1x12 at 25kg (Thumbless Fat Gripz)

Well, 3 closes with the #2.5 was unexpected. For 1 of the closes, I bent over and used my thigh as a brace when setting. It is much easier for me and I believe I could get 6/6 closes with the #2.5 like that however I am not happy with that style of setting. Trying to avoid slipping into bad habits early on. I supersetted HSPU 4" eccentrics (12x1) with the first 12 gripper sets. This clearly boosted my CNS. However, I would like to hit impressive closes cold so to speak, after a few light warmup sets and no additional 'boost'. I want to be able to do these kind of feats any time any place. I am still very happy with my progress so far. Onwards with 3 days per week. This was also the first time ever trying plate curls. It was a strange feeling, I felt like I had more then suddenly my wrist said no. Very humbling exercise, I can't imagine the strength required for 20kg plate curls. I'll stick with plate curls for now but I can see sledgehammer levering coming along soon, it looks really cool and fun.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

03/08/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 5 closes
CoC #2.5 1 attempt
CoC #2 4x2 closes
60mm pinch 5x5 at 20kg

I know it is normal for the right hand to be stronger with grippers due to the way the spring is wound but that kind of bugs me. I'm also left handed and I would say it is a bit stronger than my right. Is there anything I can do to bring up my left a bit more? I've never hit a left hand close on my #2.5 and I am still missing around 30-40% of my #2 closes. What I've been doing is just holding the close/attempt with my left for a good 5-7 seconds or so in an attempt to get a bit more work in. Anyway, another good session. Each session the #2 is becoming easier, so much so that I decided to go for doubles today to try it out, first reps from around 40mm and 2nd reps from about parallel - definitely could manage 4x3-4 reps like this but no rush. Also, I am looking at finding someone who does RGC ratings in the UK but it is proving difficult. I have a feeling I have a pretty tough #2.5 without trying to blow my own trumpet 🙃 ..or maybe my #2 and #3 are on the low end? Who knows.

Edited by AvgJo

05/08/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 6 closes
CoC #2.5 1 attempt
CoC #2 7 closes (wide set)
Fat Gripz DB rows 3x6 at 41.5kg (tough)
Fat Gripz DB curls 3x6 at 20kg
Fat Gripz DB curls 1x12 at 12.5kg

The DB rows were tough, did 3 reps then took a brief rest pause to make it to 6 reps each set. Things are moving forward with the #2.5 finally. I think adding in the pinch/thick bar/wrist work really compliments gripper work well for me.

Edited by AvgJo

1 minute ago, Hopefully said:

Good that training is going well! Nathans approach seem to work for you atm. Also cool that the other grip work compliments the grippers well for you. For me every aspect of grip work I add alongside grippers takes away a few % from my progress. Wonder why it's different 🤔

Yea it seems to be working well right now but I can feel the fatigue building up for sure. I will probably take a lighter week soon or take a week off from grippers completely and test where I'm at, still do the pinch/thick bar/wrist work possibly. Haha it's strange how it works from person to person man. I felt like I wasn't making progress just doing grippers the first few weeks but when I added the other stuff it seemed to take off. It was probably because the first few sessions my setting technique was awful to be fair. I also think one reason could be my thumb/pinch muscles are fairly weak, it doesn't get much work from grippers but the other stuff hammers it - which helps grippers 😄

08/08/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 3 attempts
CoC #2 3 closes
Towel chinups 50 reps (6x8 +2)
Pronation/sup. and ulnar/rad. work with bands (experimenting)

Feeling beat up. I'm going to take next week off from grippers but try and still do the other grip work. The following 2 weeks after that I will be in Poland so I'll try and sneak a gripper into my luggage without the mrs rolling her eyes. It will probably be tough trying to do some form of gripper work while I'm there, as it mostly consists of beer, vodka and a 3-5kg weight gain when I return. Was hoping to take my #2 and try 2-3 sessions a week of just maintenance work. There is an outdoor workout park nearby that I'll use when I'm there.

Edited by AvgJo

29 minutes ago, Anemptybox said:

Can you send your grippers to be rated by GodsofGrip?

Keep up the strong work.

I somehow missed that they do ratings 😑 definitely look into that. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 11:01 PM, AvgJo said:

This was also the first time ever trying plate curls. It was a strange feeling, I felt like I had more then suddenly my wrist said no. Very humbling exercise, I can't imagine the strength required for 20kg plate curls.

Plate curls are my favourite grip/wrist exercise. Keep up the good work 👍💪

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Plate curls are my favourite grip/wrist exercise. Keep up the good work 👍💪

Nice, yea they are so simple but effective. Thanks man 👍

10/08/2020

Grip:

Ring grip pushups 3x5 (wrist stability, see video)
60mm pinch up to 30kg 1RM
Knuckle up bicep curls 3x8 at 15kg (rope and plates, see video)
Ulnar dev. work with bands 3x15-20 (experimenting)

No gripper work this week, 4 weeks on then 1 week of rest seems to be about right. I have been trying to incorporate grip work into my chinups/pushups just to make things a bit more fun. These ring grip pushups are much harder than they look, atleast for me. I put a link to a video showing them, I was doing 'level 0.5' from the video, after was regular ring pushups as part of push day. The knuckle ups can be seen in the second video, although I'm doing it with constant tension, first time trying. I have been watching a lot of arm wrestling stuff recently. I've been looking at getting back into some kind of hobby/sport for a while now. I was about to go along to a BJJ club for the first time to try it out but then the virus hit. Turns out there is a small arm wrestling club really close to where I live who welcome anyone interested so I might give it a go after I get back from Poland. I've just been experimenting with different wrist work with either bands or weights with a rope attached, basically arm wrestling style movements, just to see how they feel and for a bit of fun.

Edited by AvgJo

12/08/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 3 closes
CoC #2 2 closes
Fat Gripz DB rows 2x8 at 36.3kg
EZ bar curls up to 60kg 1RM
Fat Gripz DB wrist curls 3x12 at 21.3kg
EZ bar reverse wrist curls 3x15 at 10kg
Ulnar dev. DB levers 3x15-20 at 2.5kg

I couldn't resist doing a bit of gripper work.

Edited by AvgJo
  • Like 1

15/08/2020

Home workout:

FG DO DL up to 115kg 1RM
DO DL up to 165kg 1RM
Pendlay rows up to 95kg 1RM
Pendlay rows 3x10 at 60kg
Bench press 2x10 at 60kg
Bottoms up KB press 2x8 at 16kg
KB curls 2x10 at 16kg

At my parents house for the first time in over 1 year. I have a little garage gym setup from back in the day that I really miss, always fun to do a little workout and reminisce. It's the first time I have touched a barbell in over 12 months (apart from curls ofcourse), I don't know how long it's been exactly. I thought it would be interesting to test my DO DL 1RM with Fat Gripz and the rest was just a bit of fun. I was using a Strength Shop Bastard bar.

Edited by AvgJo

17/08/2020

Grip:

CoC #2.5 2 closes
CoC #2.5 2 attempts
CoC #2 4 closes
Ring grip pushups 3x6 (level 0.5 from above video)
60mm pinch 3x25-30" holds at 20kg
EZ bar reverse curls 3x8 at 35kg
Ulnar dev. DB levers 3x15-20 at 2.5kg

Feel weak on grippers. I shouldn't have pushed the last week of grippers so hard, especially for the first month back in years. Definitely burnt out. I need to take a deload before it is too late next time, lesson learned. I heard some fat (but wise) powerlifter say something along the lines of It's better to take a deload and not need it, rather than need it and take it too late.. or something along those lines. Anyway, my grippers still didn't arrive yet. It's been about 4 weeks. I checked the tracking ID and apparently it went from US to Japan and sat there for 16 days for some reason before flying to London lol. I hope they come tomorrow before I leave for Poland, that way I can take my shiny new GHP level 4 for some volume work.

Edited by AvgJo

My 4 arrived this weekend but I'm in the U.S. The #4 gg was 113lbs rated and it should fall right in the middle of your 2 and 2.5. The knurling is also pretty sharp which might become an issue for volume work. I'm about 20mm short of closing it at the moment.

I know what you mean about taking a day off but it is so hard to do. I try to stay away from my goal gripper on off days and if I do anything at all its just some light work on a gripper I can rep for 10-15 times.

Good luck your making nice progress on the 3

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Yes, that's some really good advice. I agree with it completely. 

However, even when knowing that's the best way to go about things, taking a deload when you are feeling strong is an extremely difficult task. I have known this for a decade and I never learn 😂 maybe that's just me. 

I know right. I just need to keep reminding myself that there's no rush, it's not a race to get strong but yea.. easier said than done lol. One thing that springs to mind is 19Kamau79's training log on youtube. He consistently took deloads, as often as every other week sometimes. He trained for over 20 years to reach his goal of +100kg chinup like that. I really admire that about him.