Red nail bending

Eru.armanwe

How does one close the gap between the the blue nail to the red nail. I know it’s possible for me to get there I’m just not sure how

I mainly bent a number of grade 5 and grade 8 bolts..but dont really recommend that.

Ideally, you would bend 7" stock without heads in tiny increments from .25 to .3125.

You can do this with 0-1 Drill Rod if you want.  It should be noted that drill rod is a slightly tougher, springier bend (compared to cold rolled steel).  Here's an example of those tiny jumps.

Screenshot_20200703-231137_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0810f119640df0534c058551294f3ec4.jpgScreenshot_20200703-231255_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d82dbb075d069122199958ad7c86e720.jpg

That said...you really dont need such micro-jumps.  If I could advise my newbie self, I'd only make like 5 jumps (F, 17/64, I, K, L).

I'd also explain that you can bend heavier steel with thicker wraps.  This can help you slowly conquer your next challenge...just by slowly reducing your padding.  This concept was key in both my first G8 and first Red bends.

• Like 4

Drill rod is ideal but probably not the cheapest way of doing it. Double wrapping harder bars is cheap an it works.

Also you can get grade 8 bolts that are 7" long. However in that case, drill rod is probably better since Grade 8 bolts are even more expensive.

You might want to try some hot rolled steel first, to get used to the larger diameter. You can also go with square steel, which will be harder. 6 mm / 1/4 cold rolled square steel. Or 8 mm / 5/16 hot rolled round and square steel.

• Like 2