Devil’s “666” Bending Challenge

Donc101

I am very excited that I completed the Devil’s “666” Challenge today! First time this has ever been done. Bending 66 x 6” x 5/16 FBBC Bastards unbraced back to back. These Bastards were tough, especially on the crush, and finished like drill rod. I consider this challenge much harder than bending 100 Red Nails.

John Beatty came up with this challenge in I think 2005. It was supposed to be the next step up from bending 100 reds. I am uploading the video now and will do a more detailed write up later, but here are some pics.

B2EF3882-0B9D-4568-A2A3-7D53D5048A05.jpeg

E9316B6D-83DC-40BA-8838-2DB0F906CAE4.jpeg

AE9CCBB9-7FD0-4080-9F1F-477FCF21D8C8.jpeg

5A704977-7D09-491A-B62B-D9C281964D88.jpeg

69860973-6A6C-44B7-AEB5-8D6CC6216E43.jpeg

9ADEADD0-6EA8-4AC8-961A-07228B4F986F.jpeg

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely incredible, Don. Congrats on this huge accomplishment!

• Like 2

Holy hell!  What a feat, not only of strength, but of mind!!!

Congratulations!

• Like 2

amazing.

so are you now having a professional there for all the big feats?
Every time I am asking myself, what could Don possibly do next to outdo that?

and then a few weeks go by and BAMB,, there it is...
something new and even harder yet
And Don is The Man

• Like 2

Don, incredible feat!  Trying to imagine what it'd be like to do this and ... just insane!

• Like 2

Video finally uploaded. Here it is:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FrankD said:

Absolutely incredible, Don. Congrats on this huge accomplishment!

4 hours ago, Jaden Majensky said:

Absolute Insanity Don!

4 hours ago, anwnate said:

Holy hell!  What a feat, not only of strength, but of mind!!!

Congratulations!

4 hours ago, richcottrell said:

amazing.

so are you now having a professional there for all the big feats?
Every time I am asking myself, what could Don possibly do next to outdo that?

and then a few weeks go by and BAMB,, there it is...
something new and even harder yet
And Don is The Man

2 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Don, incredible feat!  Trying to imagine what it'd be like to do this and ... just insane!

1 hour ago, Briso said:

You are an animal Don! 😁

That’s unreal. Well done!

Thanks so much guys! A fun and tough feat for sure. I am beat. Have a great day.

@richcottrell, just me bending by myself in the garage, recording with my IPad. That is how I did the 60 Golds too. My wife snapped a couple picks today. I was lucky enough to have a friend who is a photographer stop by and take some pics during the 60 Golds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horrido said:

Another incredible feat by you. Hats off Don!

2 hours ago, KRC said:

Sheesh dude, badass!!

Jan and Kevin, thank you both very much! Good luck with your bending you are working on.

• Like 3

This is INCREDIBLE Don. I'm worn out and my hands are torn up by 4-6 bends per workout. You're on another world with your endurance strength!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule92 said:

This is INCREDIBLE Don. I'm worn out and my hands are torn up by 4-6 bends per workout. You're on another world with your endurance strength!

Thank you sir! These big endurance feats take a beating on you. My hands are raw meat today. My kind of fun!  Have a good one.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally getting around to doing a bit more of a write up.  My hands finally almost healed too.

I first heard about this challenge in November of 2019. John Beatty sent me a set of all of the issues of his Strong Magazine. A great magazine. In one issue there was an interview with 
Dave Morton, who bent the 100 Red Nails in 2005. He said he was planning to do the Devil’s Challenge. I had never heard of this. I messaged John and he said he came up with the challenge as the next step harder than bending 100 Red Nails. However, no one had still ever done it. John also said he came up with a t-shirt and certificate to give to anyone who completed the challenge. The shirt had an old school devil with a thin mustache smiling and winking. It said “Diabolically Strong”.

My plan for training was similar to my training for the 100 Reds. Gradually ramp up but never getting to more than 33. I was going to do 22 2 weeks before the challenge date and 33 1 week out. I did the 22 and my hands took quite a beating. The next week, when I was supposed to do 33, I felt like shit and just did not have it in me. I could only muster 10. I was not 100% confident I would be able to do the 66 because training did not go perfectly as planned. I also was nervous because the Bastards I bought for the challenge were a very tough batch and bent similar to drill rod with the crush being much tougher than a normal 6” Bastard.

I had set July 3 as the date because my work was closed for the 4th of July. It was supposed to be very hot. Thus, I decided  to wake up early and do it first thing in the morning. Hands took a beating, but I was able to make it through the 66 fairly well. I was not maxed out as far as volume. About 45 minutes after I was done my body crashed. I had been riding my adrenaline. I layed down and woke up 3 hours later feeling like I had been in a coma. My arms, hands, wrists, back and core were very sore for multiple days. Hands took a long time to completely heal. Also, lots of abrasions and almost like carpet burns on my chest from my hands constantly rubbing on my chest.

The challenge was much harder than 100 Reds. I think 60 Gold Nails braced would be much harder for most people than 66 6” Bastards double overhand. However, for me short braced bending is my strongest form of bending right now and the Devil’s Challenge was much harder for me than the 60 Golds. I love these epic, long steel bending endurance challenges as they push you to the limit physically and especially mentally.

Thanks for checking this out everyone.

Don Cummings
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That's awesome to read Don! I can't even fathom doing these endurance challenges. Hats off to you my friend!

Edited by vikingsrule92
  • Like 1

Awesome.  Great write up.  Thanks.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vikingsrule92 said:

That's awesome to read Don! I can't even fathom doing these endurance challenges. Hats off to you my friend!

27 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Awesome.  Great write up.  Thanks.

Thank you very much! Have a great night.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well done Don! Another inspiring display of strength and determination! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, William James said:

Well done Don! Another inspiring display of strength and determination! 

Thank you! A fun and tough feat for me that I am happy with. Have a great night.