training to lift an inch dumbbell

JayGrips

has anyone trained specifically to lift an inch dumbbell?  Meaning that was there sole grip focus?  How would you train for that personally and would you still include any pinch work?  Just curious as that is one of my main goals even if it takes years to achieve.  Right now I am training thick bar once per week and pinch once per week.  The only pinch training Im really interested in is blobs.  As far as thick bar I pretty much only like rolling handles although I do axle as well right now but I was thinking about picking up a napalms nightmare to replace that.  

6 hours ago, JayGrips said:

has anyone trained specifically to lift an inch dumbbell?  

Many have :) this is the gripboard :)

In my opinion there are two main strategies:

The first would be to train with a similar implement only. A thick handled loadable dumbell with a 6cm thick handle would be my choice for this approach, a rolling handle could also work. 

The second method would be to break it down to a few areas where you need to be strong: wrist, fingers, thumb. You could train with a 6cm wrist wrench, doing wrist curls with a thick dumbbell, fingercurls with a barbell or gripmachine work.

The difficulty of the feat depends on your handsize. You probably should work more than once a week. 

• Like 3

This is what we have been doing to train for the inch dumbbell, 

fat bar hook grip dead lifts, pinch grip work,

11 hours ago, JayGrips said:

has anyone trained specifically to lift an inch dumbbell?  Meaning that was there sole grip focus?  How would you train for that personally and would you still include any pinch work?  Just curious as that is one of my main goals even if it takes years to achieve.  Right now I am training thick bar once per week and pinch once per week.  The only pinch training Im really interested in is blobs.  As far as thick bar I pretty much only like rolling handles although I do axle as well right now but I was thinking about picking up a napalms nightmare to replace that.  

Check out a thread on the general gripboard section started by Wannagrip in October, 2019, with the last post in mid-November 2019. It has some words by some of the best Inch lifters who regularly post. Start there, then find out who Bob Sundin is, and read everything he posted on the subject.

I lot would do a mix of rolling handles and pinch training for this but it's not always effective as grip is a very specific thing and these are really different events. The ideal thing is if you can get access to a gym that has solid one piece dumbbells (a lot of cheap commercial gyms have them) you can put a fat gripz on them and then you essentially have all different weight inch dumbbells in much smaller increments than even if you bought a full set of all the size inches. This way you know exactly where your at and can progress all the way up to the full weight and can do all different exercises with them also. From my experience if you can do a 75kg with fat gripz on the inch is no problem as with heavier weight dumbbells they tend to always put thicker handles in to start with so ends up being thicker than the inch with the fat gripz on and harder weight for weight. Other than that I'd throw in some pinch holds along with just regular gym work with no straps, double overhand deadlifts, shrugs, lat pulldowns or pull ups etc plus just heavy training with or without straps. Most people that lift the inch are simply just strong people.

7 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

Many have :) this is the gripboard :)

In my opinion there are two main strategies:

The first would be to train with a similar implement only. A thick handled loadable dumbell with a 6cm thick handle would be my choice for this approach, a rolling handle could also work. 

The second method would be to break it down to a few areas where you need to be strong: wrist, fingers, thumb. You could train with a 6cm wrist wrench, doing wrist curls with a thick dumbbell, fingercurls with a barbell or gripmachine work.

The difficulty of the feat depends on your handsize. You probably should work more than once a week. 

This.

Start with that and see how you progress. Something that helped me get more consistent with the inch is what's described in this video:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

I lot would do a mix of rolling handles and pinch training for this but it's not always effective as grip is a very specific thing and these are really different events. The ideal thing is if you can get access to a gym that has solid one piece dumbbells (a lot of cheap commercial gyms have them) you can put a fat gripz on them and then you essentially have all different weight inch dumbbells in much smaller increments than even if you bought a full set of all the size inches. This way you know exactly where your at and can progress all the way up to the full weight and can do all different exercises with them also. From my experience if you can do a 75kg with fat gripz on the inch is no problem as with heavier weight dumbbells they tend to always put thicker handles in to start with so ends up being thicker than the inch with the fat gripz on and harder weight for weight. Other than that I'd throw in some pinch holds along with just regular gym work with no straps, double overhand deadlifts, shrugs, lat pulldowns or pull ups etc plus just heavy training with or without straps. Most people that lift the inch are simply just strong people.

Is there a large difference between a single piece dumbbell and plate loaded dumbbells? I know the spin is strong on the inch so Im assuming a plate loaded dumbbell does not replicate this as well?

Thanks for everyone advice I'm going to do some more research based upon what you've said.

My current routine one thick bar day and one pinch day.  thick bar day focusing on rolling thunder, axle, thumbless axle, thumbless 2 7/8th inch rolling handle, and wrist wrench.  Pinch Ive been focusing on 2, 3, and 4 inch single hand napalm pinch and blobs.  I also do wrist training more as a finisher and using higher reps because the thumbless work and the wrist wrench hammers my wrists pretty hard as it is.

16 hours ago, JayGrips said:

Tons! This IS the place to find out ways to train for it!

18 hours ago, JayGrips said:

Is there a large difference between a single piece dumbbell and plate loaded dumbbells? I know the spin is strong on the inch so Im assuming a plate loaded dumbbell does not replicate this as well?

Yes.

In 2011, on the IronMind Forum, a fellow by the name of Paul Wood had a link to a scholarly physics article that had nothing to do with dumbbells. In it, there was discussion of something called “Rotational Kinetic Energy”. Never seen a discussion   about it before or since.

Apparently, when mere mortals attempt to lift the Inch, there is a Villain by the name of Rotational Kinetic Energy fighting to prevent you from lifting it.

20 hours ago, JayGrips said:

There is a large difference. Can be mitigated be using plates of a similar diameter to a real dumbbell and also having a very good set of collars to keep them tight. This is where the old school spinlock collars come in handy since they can be applied extremely tight. 

On 7/3/2020 at 7:47 PM, JayGrips said:

Yeah it's really a completely different type of grip strength, it's purely the roll that makes the inch hard because it is a solid implement.