Gripper “singles/attempts/low reps”

Noobishindi

Many people here have suggested training with lower reps, or even with singles or attempts when looking to strengthen crush grip and move up the gripper ladder. 

Im curious over volume- when people say singles or attempts with a gripper that’s just out of reach of closing- are we talking 4-5 attempts a workout and that’s it? Or much more? Less? Add anything else as a finisher? It almost seems like 4-5 attempts doesn’t really lead to any progress for me, even with a forced close and a hold. Just stuck in a rut 😅 So I’m curious to see what others do!

Singles, starting with a gripper I can do around 5 reps with. Starting with atleast 10 singles with no less than 3 minutes of rest between each. Then adding volume with the same gripper until 20-25 singles is done in one workout. Second workout can be with more reps to build strength and endurance. Between 8-12 reps. Starting with a gripper I can do 12-15 reps with. Doing atleast 5 sets of 8 reps to start with, then adding volume to that.

I get best results by training both higher reps and lower reps. Just like with any other type of lifting. If I only do one thing I stagnate quickly.

When you can do 20 singles and 5x10-12 you will be ready to move up to harder grippers. Take the next harder gripper you have for the singles and start over at 10 singles, if it's too hard, start at 8 singles, or even 5 singles. Same thing with the higher reps. Start over at 5x8 with the next harder gripper. If it's too difficult, try 5x5. Or just do as much as you can for 5 sets, starting with 8 reps.

Assistance exercises: filed grippers for beyond the range. They are great. One exercise I would do more if I trained grippers, which I really didn't do enough of is unlar deviation levering. All typed of wrist levering is important, to stay injury free and get stronger. However I think the ulnar deviation movement is extra important for grippers as a strength builder. Also work the extensors to keep tha hands and elbows heathy. Bicep and tricep training is also good.

• Like 3

Overcrushes and strap holds should also be in the toolbox.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noobishindi said:

Many people here have suggested training with lower reps, or even with singles or attempts when looking to strengthen crush grip and move up the gripper ladder. 

Im curious over volume- when people say singles or attempts with a gripper that’s just out of reach of closing- are we talking 4-5 attempts a workout and that’s it? Or much more? Less? Add anything else as a finisher? It almost seems like 4-5 attempts doesn’t really lead to any progress for me, even with a forced close and a hold. Just stuck in a rut 😅 So I’m curious to see what others do!

Most people would recommend singles / very heavy yes but in reality that doesn't typically make for long term progress it just bumps your strength up because grippers are very CNS dependant. If you want to use the grippers I'd recommend high reps much more than singles / low reps for typical training (low reps then singles when wanting to peak). The best thing for any newbies is always going to be to just get stronger overall and get a stronger all around grip rather than just using the grippers though and that's still the case if your aim is solely to get better at grippers.

• Like 1

For me, and I am NOT good at grippers, heavy high reps just beats up my knuckles. Same with easier volume.

Heavy singles throughout the day (couple easy warmuo closes, heaby single, repeat in 30 minutes or so), and holds with a penny or paperclip until it drops, is about the only way I've made progress.

9 hours ago, wobbler said:

For me, and I am NOT good at grippers, heavy high reps just beats up my knuckles. Same with easier volume.

Heavy singles throughout the day (couple easy warmuo closes, heaby single, repeat in 30 minutes or so), and holds with a penny or paperclip until it drops, is about the only way I've made progress.

I am the same. I did the MMG1 and MMG 2 without training grippers. Just closed a #3 from time to time to have the feel. My other training helped a lot.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 5:35 PM, Alawadhi said:

I am the same. I did the MMG1 and MMG 2 without training grippers. Just closed a #3 from time to time to have the feel. My other training helped a lot.

Quite interesting. This is the opposite of true for me with grippers, I have to train them all the time to make any progress.
However it's exactly like that for me with thick bar. If I don't train it at all I get stronger at it from doing other grip training. As soon as I focus my training on it I get overtrained, no matter how I train. I just get weaker at it.

13 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

It's the same here, everything I have done other than grippers seem to only have been detrimental to progress with them. Only regress basically. 

Unsure of any carry over whatsoever, even finger curls didnt give anything. Well, aside from sweep strength.. That goes up a mile when I do curls so scratch that 

Wasn't talking about grippers though. Meant that I get weaker at thick bar if I train thick bar.

Training thick bar very moderately can have positive effect on gripper strength for me.

15 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Oh, you are right, my bad. Still if you need to train them all the time to make progress, then if you train other things and go back to grippers you wouldnt have made progress. That's how I interpreted it. 

Yes, training grippers for me means that I have to train with them almost every day. I can train other stuff as well but doing that intelligently would mean I have to view those exercises as assistance work and not trying to make progress on them for 1RM.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 11:45 AM, Fist of Fury said:

Assistance exercises: filed grippers for beyond the range. They are great. One exercise I would do more if I trained grippers, which I really didn't do enough of is unlar deviation levering. All typed of wrist levering is important, to stay injury free and get stronger. However I think the ulnar deviation movement is extra important for grippers as a strength builder. Also work the extensors to keep tha hands and elbows heathy. Bicep and tricep training is also good.

Sorry to dig up an old post but a lot of good info here. I’ve never heard of levering helping grippers or to aid in health/balance. Need to give this a try. I’ve had some ulnar nerve issues in my right hand for aslong as I can remember. Don’t want to get injured chasing the #3. Cheers Fury.

Levering, extensor bands, dexterity balls (especially palms facing down, rotating backwards - great stretch on the index fingers.)

Also be on alert for stupid daily use injuries. I had elbow problems for months from pushing doors open with just my fingertips, until I figured that out. And my left index finger is messed up right now because of how I hold my pans when I'm washing them... if you're training grip a lot, try to avoid unnecessary stress from daily activities, and look there first if you have any nagging issues, especially if its only with one arm.)

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 11:38 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Wasn't talking about grippers though. Meant that I get weaker at thick bar if I train thick bar.

Training thick bar very moderately can have positive effect on gripper strength for me.

Absolute Rubbish!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 12:54 PM, Stanislav said:

Absolute Rubbish!

Well who knows what works for him but that would certainly not work for me😄. I get stronger in thick bar lifting if I train it hard and often. I get best gains with grippers if I stay in the 5-10 rep range....which I rarely do for long because I am retarded.  Instead I get impatient and move to harder grippers faster than I can keep up the 5-10 rep range.