Training to set grippers with #3.5 to overcome handsize

ChimpGrip

I'm sure many threads have covered this, but every individual is unique and my training has stalled. 

My hands are so small for a male its pathetic... 7 inches from base of hand to tip of middle finger.

My best closes are a CoC #3, GHP Level 7 with 144 rgc rating, and a set of 4 with a fairly stout GHP Level 6. 

My goal is to close my #3.5, which is super heavy. It is not far off from my #4 and and its MUCH heavier than my 160 rgc filed #3, which I have come close to closing. I can't get my #3.5 to parallel, so it is a beast. 

My concern is that when I move up to monster grippers, that the rear handle will move when I set it, putting it in a position that makes it impossible to close. 

So here is my question... would it be wise to include this #3.5 in my training where all I do with it is practice setting it and get the muscles in the hands and forearms adapt to the poundage/pressure brought on by this gripper? Or would it be over-training?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

I'm sure many threads have covered this, but every individual is unique and my training has stalled. 

My hands are so small for a male its pathetic... 7 inches from base of hand to tip of middle finger.

My best closes are a CoC #3, GHP Level 7 with 144 rgc rating, and a set of 4 with a fairly stout GHP Level 6. 

My goal is to close my #3.5, which is super heavy. It is not far off from my #4 and and its MUCH heavier than my 160 rgc filed #3, which I have come close to closing. I can't get my #3.5 to parallel, so it is a beast. 

My concern is that when I move up to monster grippers, that the rear handle will move when I set it, putting it in a position that makes it impossible to close. 

So here is my question... would it be wise to include this #3.5 in my training where all I do with it is practice setting it and get the muscles in the hands and forearms adapt to the poundage/pressure brought on by this gripper? Or would it be over-training?

Im a firm believer in body adaption! Its the only way i train. I continue to get stronger and stronger! 

• Like 1

Yes, setting is paramount for closing grippers. If you can't set them you can't close them.

14 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes, setting is paramount for closing grippers. If you can't set them you can't close them.

So even if the gripper is way too heavy for me, I should still practice setting it as part of my training? 

Not trying to be hard-headed but I want to get stronger and better at grip while doing it the smart way. 

Also, if I train with grippers twice a week, I can do this during both sessions?

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

So even if the gripper is way too heavy for me, I should still practice setting it as part of my training? 

Not trying to be hard-headed but I want to get stronger and better at grip while doing it the smart way. 

Also, if I train with grippers twice a week, I can do this during both sessions?

I would suggest the Vulcan gripper if you want to improve your setting. It's superior to all other grippers for training setting.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Holle warms up,  hits 4-6 closes and then uses a heavy gripper to practice setting 4-6 times. He does that twice a week. But...he is Nathan Holle.

I may look into this and reach out to him. Would trying to set a #4 be too much?

20 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Myself I would get burned out quickly practicing this too often and it would take away the quality of my "actual" workout sets. I never noticed any benefit myself trying to set grippers that would take away pieces of my soul due to the effort. 

Maybe the grippers you can close are hard enough to set already? Go with them and the set will get stronger too. Then do some set practice with this one every 3rd workout or something. 

I will try to implent this into my training. Thank you!

Based on the grippers I have closed, what would be an ideal rep scheme to go with and with what grippers? I followed a program of closing a filed #2 for 8 sets of 4-6 and that helped me finally close the GHP 6, and then training with heavy singles and pinch training helped me finally close the #3 and my 144# rgc GHP 7. 

2 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Based on the grippers I have closed, what would be an ideal rep scheme to go with and with what grippers? I followed a program of closing a filed #2 for 8 sets of 4-6 and that helped me finally close the GHP 6, and then training with heavy singles and pinch training helped me finally close the #3 and my 144# rgc GHP 7. 

Ideal training is to do what works for you. Doesn't really matter if some grip guru who have closed the GHP10 says you should train like him. That doesn't mean the same thing will work for you.

If you made progress with your previous methods, why not continue to train that way? Important thing is that what ever you decide to do, you're making progress, in one way or another, if you do that you will get stronger.

• Like 4

From what you have said it sounds like you need to increase the size of your thumb pads

23 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

From what you have said it sounds like you need to increase the size of your thumb pads

What would you say is the best way to do this?

Sledge fingerwalks certainly won't hurt. That and closing imtugs with your thumb against your palm. But there are plenty of other ways too.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 7:43 PM, ChimpGrip said:

What would you say is the best way to do this?

The best ways are ttk, plate pinch holds, sledge finger walks. You want to be working in the 30-60 second range.

• Like 2