Chalk?

climber511

I'm curious about what chalk people are using now days for friction lifts?  There are some new brands out there since I last did any experimenting that I haven't tried.  I've been using my "bucket" chalk for years - which is basically bits and pieces of leftovers from climbing chalk bags.  Several years ago I bought "several" pounds of various brands on a sale and haven't used them all up still.  But here and there I read about something new.  Every World Record ever set at Gripmas probably was using "the bucket" so it's obviously not bad - curious about anything new out there?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Squeezus said:

I use this stuff: https://viknperformance.com/

Used it for the last few King Kongs that I got first in my class, too.

Yep, I only use VIKN chalk. It knots up the best and creates a rough surface on implements 

Lately I have been using Rogues chalk. It has a wet feel to it and it's easy to make it stick on implements other chalk wouldn't stick on. 

On 6/15/2020 at 12:09 AM, Lennix said:

Lately I have been using Rogues chalk. It has a wet feel to it and it's easy to make it stick on implements other chalk wouldn't stick on. 

My powerlifting son told me about a Rogue product that some gyms are using. It’s called “ Primo Loose Chalk”, and is marketed as anti-bacterial. If it is in fact anti-bacterial, wouldn’t that be cool these days..,

9 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

My powerlifting son told me about a Rogue product that some gyms are using. It’s called “ Primo Loose Chalk”, and is marketed as anti-bacterial. If it is in fact anti-bacterial, wouldn’t that be cool these days..,

All powdered magnesium carbonate has mid to high antimicrobial properties, it's just never really been marketed or thought about until recently. Things that are good at drying are good at killing bacteria, since they need to maintain their cell wall to survive

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Climber028 said:

All powdered magnesium carbonate has mid to high antimicrobial properties, it's just never really been marketed or thought about until recently. Things that are good at drying are good at killing bacteria, since they need to maintain their cell wall to survive

I checked out a number of articles recently written on this subject, post-Covid articles. You know what? I don't believe any of them. I don't think we can "rely" on chalk to protect us from this bastard virus. My attitude is to chalk, use the implement that others are using, and be sure to not touch my face until I wash my hands. It will probably mean at King Kong, assuming I am participating, I will be washing my hands after each event, and then rechalking when moving onto a new implement. 

30 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I checked out a number of articles recently written on this subject, post-Covid articles. You know what? I don't believe any of them. I don't think we can "rely" on chalk to protect us from this bastard virus. My attitude is to chalk, use the implement that others are using, and be sure to not touch my face until I wash my hands. It will probably mean at King Kong, assuming I am participating, I will be washing my hands after each event, and then rechalking when moving onto a new implement. 

Don't bother with articles, plenty of plain boring studies as far back as the 90s on this. If you use it right after someone, there could conceivably be a transfer but most studies show in an hour or so it kills many microbes so yea you're right to be worried, but the next day it would be totally fine. This also fits reality well since you never see a bucket of chalk stinking with slime or mold and they sit in some pretty nasty environments 

gods of  grip has some chalk, although over the years of using chalk , chalk is chalk 

I use fine friction lab chalk for climbing because I think nothing beats the quality but at home for grip stuff I just use cheap bulk blocks of any chalk. I don't think the differences matter much during training, and if some chalk feels harder then you get stronger so it all works out. In a competition these things might matter but I don't try to optimize training like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

I use fine friction lab chalk for climbing because I think nothing beats the quality but at home for grip stuff I just use cheap bulk blocks of any chalk. I don't think the differences matter much during training, and if some chalk feels harder then you get stronger so it all works out. In a competition these things might matter but I don't try to optimize training like that. 

I learned my lesson on the very fine chalks for climbing - I now use a "regular" grind.  I used the fine on a multi pitch route where the wind was howling and blowing straight up the wall - totally emptying my chalk bag.  

I just bought some Spider Chalk to try - I'll try the VIKN stuff next.  Just trying to add a few pounds to my Euro - might different chalk be the "secret" LOL?

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1