New guy advice

climber511

A friend asked me about a beginners program to increase grip and forearm strength - but has zero interest in Grip as a sport.  He has a generally equipped gym and no interest in buying anything new. Here's what I gave him.  Also has growth as a goal.  

Power Forearms (an old Health For Life program) - this consists of the following done for one set each to absolute failure between 8 and 12 reps - done non stop - different bars preloaded if possible.

Wrist Curls

Reverse Wrist Curls

Wrist Curls behind the back

Reverse Curls

Levering - front, back, rotational both ways.  Says he does own a sledge hammer already.  

Alternate workouts with 

Finger Curls in Power Rack done with curl grip

At some point I may try to talk him into an Ivanko Super Gripper but can't see a need for anything else unless he develops more interest.

This is the exact program I used before I ever heard of Grip Sport or the Grip Board.  I feel it set the stage fairly well for me when I did start more specialized work.  He wants something short and sweet he can toss in after his regular workout.  Thoughts?

• Like 2

That and a pair of fat grips.   If I have weight in my hands it probably has a thick handle on it now.  

I have to move my grippers out of the way a lot but I don’t use them any. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Barbell and a pair of fat grips is all you need.  Maybe some plate pinching too like @JHenze646 added.  Heavy DO and mixed grip deads did more for my grip than anything else I've ever done.  

Your list looks like it would take care of everything except open hand, and the fat grips and plate pinches would cover that.  

Brookfield was big on “finger walking” up a hammer. I used to do them before I joined the Gripboard.

What about farmers walk or even dumbell or barbell holds?

I love the frugal approach to any kind of training. I especially love when it is recommended to new guys in grip. No need to have them run out and buy stuff when they ask how to get a stronger grip. While admittedly I’m guilty of buying my share of equipment I didn’t really need, if I could go back, I’d have just bought an axle or a rolling handle and been done.

the only kind of training I did that resembled grip training before I found grip training, was a wrist roller both directions and reverse grip curls. Between that and living the blue collar life, I came in with a decent base strength.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I think we're going to keep to the original program for 8 to 10 weeks and see if he even sticks with it long enough to worry about adding or changing anything.  I want to try developing "strength with movement" before doing any isometric or static type training

Edited by climber511

Barbell finger curls/rolls alone would help a lot. You may add some fat gripz DL in order to get the thumb also involved.