Snowman Challenge Grip Contest

John Beatty

Guys-

First notice - Planning on doing a Grip contest prior to the Snowman in Jan. Probably 1-2 events. Tentatively the 3" "Crusher" rotating deadlift handle & maybe the "Bomb" 12 lb version. Winner will get the implements used, some other goodies, maybe a cash prize. Prizes through 3rd. Low entry fee for non-Snowman competitors (say $5 for competitors, $10 for non entries- divided for prize $). I'm going to try to work up to a 400lb "two hands anyhow" for exhibition purposes.

Roark - if you read this, can you give me some guidelines/rules for the "2 hands".

Thanks-

John

John,

Notice two implements must be used. These days for exhibition

purposes a dumbell can replace the ring-weight.

You are hoping for 400 pounds?

This is easier to demonstrate than to read about. For the purposes

of demonstration, next time I see you, I will use slightly under 400 :D

[from ironhistory.com BAWLA rules]

#41 Two Hands Anyhow with Barbell and Ring-Weight

The barbell and ring-weight shall be lifted to arms’ length overhead ‘anyhow’. For example, the barbell may be taken to the shoulder with two hands, thence jerked, or bent-pressed, overhead, after which the ring-weight shall be raised to full stretch of arm overhead. Again, the barbell may be taken overhead with two hands, then transferred into one hand, after which the ring-weight shall be taken overhead to arm’s length. At the conclusion of the lift the trunk shall be erect, both arms straight and parallel with one another, the legs straight, and the heels together.

Oh. Well, that changes things...lol. I thought it was a press & a deadlift. 300 sounds much more in line then. Thanks, Joe.

The USAWA rules seem to vary slightly.

E15. Two-Hands Anyhow

Any combination of barbells and/or dumbbells or kettle bells may be used. The methods chosen for lifting are optional. However, two implements must be used. Both must be lifted individually from the floor. The lifter may press, push, or jerk the weight overhead, or use a combination of all of the above. The lifter may make more than one attempt at lifting the weight. There is no time limit on the effort. When both weights have reached arm's length, the lifter must assume a position in which the feet are parallel and on a straight line, the body fully erect, and the the arms both locked overhead in a vertical position and both the lifter and the weights motionless.

The USAWA rules seem more lenient, as the BAWLA's 'heels together' stipulation will kill many otherwise good attempts.

BC.

Yes, the heels together part will hobble some attempts ;)

The late JV Askem and I went around and around on this- he believing

that even a clean and jerk could qualify as a 2 hands anyhow, but that of course

invloves only one implement.

I miss him and respected his viewpoints, though, may he rest in peace. :bow