workout of the year

the swiss

I didn't put this topic under the "workout" forum because it is not representative (at all) of my usual workouts. This has got to be my best workout ever: not only did I close the #3 for 3 singles, but I also bent a new nail I couldn't bend at all before!!

It's basically a 60 penny nail, but harder than those I had done before: lots of pain and determination for this one, but I did it with my hands only. I guess motivation came from Tom Black (who I find extremely impressive) and from the new Iron grip mag issue (a lot of inspiration from there too). I do have some pics, but they are not all that satisfying yet. I would like to post them anyway, if someone could help me with that: I have:

- one closing the #3 but we can't read the number (not of much use, I guess)

- one where we can read the 3 easily but (of course) where I miss it by a hair

- one of the nail I bent

- one of me doing some pinch lifting with a rock.

train hard

david

Email them to me at -- click on the email icon of this post.

I will take care of the rest. :)

P.S. Great work!

Guest Dr Tom

Great going, Swiss.  Can't wait to see your shiny face in MILO as certified COC!   Maybe you'll even get one of those big popsicle rings!  :biggrin:

Cheers!!

David, I got the pics. Will post in the gallery tonight.

Don't use a flash when taking the pic.  It'll wash out the number due to reflection.  I found this out when playing with taking pics with the BBM.

David,

Thanks for mentioning that I motivated you on the nail bending.  It’s always a thrill to bend some tougher steel and it’s gratifying to know that I’ve helped in some way.  Yet another board member closing the number 3-fantastic!   Congratulations, and I can tell you will get good pictures soon.  I tried to snap some pictures of the BB Master and had some of the same problems.  I think that you’ve really got to control the gripper to get a good picture.  For final COC certification, use a 35mm and buy/borrow a flash that can be aimed up at the ceiling.  This will ensure that the flash will not wash out the close up.  If you have a digital camera you can practice this and see the results, so you don’t have to waste film.

I won't get any pics posted tonight. Sorry grip fiends.  I asked David for better pics of the three. They are washed out at the handle.

actually I didn't use a flash (I don't have one), but because the room seemed dark I pointed an halogen light towards the subject. Something that seems to work is to get the gripper slightly down so that the light isn't reflected directly towards the camera. Anyway I'll try to get better pics next week, and this time I will not use a 36 pose on my old reflex camera. wish I had a digital camera...

Wannagrip, about the pinch lift picture, I just want to point out that it is not the weight of the rock that makes it so hard (for me), but the smooth surface. So I don't know if it's really worth putting in the grip gallery. you decide.

Tom Black, do you think I could email you a picture of the nail I bent so that maybe you can tell me what kind of nail it is? (I am very sore from this bending, it is a painful hobby!)

hope to get some better pics soon.

train hard.

david.

Swiss,

Send the picture my way, I'll do my best to "judge" the nail.  It would be helpful if there was a ruler in the picture or some other way to judge it's size.  Since your nail is probably from a Swiss source it may be entirely different from what I have seen.  Did you check out my nail testing article?  That is the best method I've ever devised to test the strength needed to bend a nail.  The relative differences between nails were exactly as I had already determined by hand, I just didn't know the bending poundage's before the test.